Register now to get rid of these ads!

pictures deleted

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by banginona40, Apr 10, 2022.

1. banginona40

banginona40

If my pictures have been X'd. does that mean they were deleted by the board or is something else going on? Had to ask.

2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Correct, off topic

3. Not always,

A lot of times it's because a hosting site like photobucket that was free started charging a member fee and blocking the user from posting anything new and blocking previous photo's from showing in older post. thus the Red x. HRP

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    If the red X is on your photo insert, then you changed the place of the photo on your computer and the HAMB server cannot find it. If the post is still there, then that was the problem. Or as HRP said above, an off site storage facility did a change and cannot find your stored photo. (or won't allow you further access for some reason)

Sometimes we make or change a photo without resubmitting the whole photo to a specific post. That is a sure way to get the old photo post given the red X. The new photo will be able to be used as the HAMB computer has now a new source and knows where to get it.

Jnaki

Don't fret, find the red X and if you know which photo it is, then copy it from your computer files and repost it. If you stored it off site in a "cloud" and it won't come up as requested, then it was the error reading from one of the HAMB server or the off site storage facility.

Where is the posted photo that has a red X?

NOTE: The prices for a 1, 2, 3, 4 TB external hard drive is unbelievably priced low these days. The new models are coming out and the old TB versions are low priced. That way you have access to all of your own files and photos. No need for an off site storage facility that costs you monthly. We have several 4 tb drives and they are our own backup, not an off site backup. Emergencies are a snap. Grab the easy access external hard drives, our granddaughter, the old, half blind dog, and head out to the garage to leave. Wifey, too. Everything else is replaceable.

NOTE 2: We have an off site storage facility for my wife's new Apple Iphone. When she takes photos, it automatically goes to the cloud and gets stored for as long as that company stays in business. When the free service capacity was filled up, there was a minimal cost and the company is going to last for quite sometime. Minimal intrusion, work and costs. The ones she wants me to see/save, she sends them to me for storage on our external hard drives. YRMV

mitch 36 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were posting them from some off-site storage like Photobucket they have limits on the amount of time a photo can be viewed, storage limitations, etc.

6. banginona40

banginona40

Thanks everyone. The photos I post are on my Google Photos.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Recently, I was looking for an old story and found it back in a 2016 thread. It had several Red X's on the inserted photos. They were my own photos and not copied internet photos. I had altered them to fit another story years later, but not knowing or remembering that any changes alters the original posted photo. I remembered the original story, but over the years, the new story called for a different placement for the altered photos.

Now, if I have time, which as a retiree I do not have, Ha! I may go back to those old posts and see if any more old photos were altered in the recent years, rendering those old posts confusing to some research readers. But for now, a final paragraph check is all that I complete before I post anything. Good paragraphs are the key to reading a good story, along with enhancing photos/facts for clarity.

Jnaki

Find the photo in your files and see if you changed the wording of the saved title or altered a day/date, etc. A tiny change will throw off the computer memory and storage location.

Google photos is a solid company section of Google. They do a great job of storage for photos. So, call up the photo, paste it on a Word Document, save it to your computer files and then copy/paste to your thread or post. That should give you a new posted photo. YRMV

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If your photos are something off topic and get deleted by one of the Mods, they will just disappear, they will not be replaced by a red X

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. banginona40

banginona40

Thanks for that!

10. Not exactly.

The HAMB server does not look for photos on your computer. If it did, every time your computer was shut off your photos would not be visible in the posts here. And I'm assuming your computer isn't turned on and connected to the internet 24/7/365.

That's why we upload copies of our photos to the HAMB servers (not an inexpensive service provided by Ryan at no charge to us) or another image hosting service that is running 24/7/365, generally. From there we post links to where the uploaded copies are stored and your web browser finds them and magically opens the images on your screen.

Last edited: May 8, 2022