Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picture request '40 spring set-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Ok, I've gotten my rear end assembled, with the leaf spring installed. I'm using a '40's style spring spaced at 49 1/4" apart, after installation. I noticed after installation that the top of the spring is even with the top of the third member. I don't want to run into clearance problems and I just was wondering if you guys had any pictures of a similar set-up. Here's an example I stole off the HAMB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

FYI, I have an adjustable rear spring perch, but just looking for ideas if the clearance isn't enough. I guess I could go with a Model A spring if needed.

Attached Files:

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

If you have a couple of your heavyweight buddies jumping up and down on the back of the frame--- is there clearence or what hits?

4. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I haven't gotten mocked up yet. I guess I shouldn't jump the gun, just looking for some pic.s of similar set-up.

5. That picture you "stole off the HAMB" is C9's car. Send hime an email and ask him about it. He is a really helpfull guy and will give you any info he can.---Brian

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It sounds like you're planning to run your spring above the axle, won't work with a '40 spring. It needs to go behind the axle.

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

It's a spring behind like shown in the pic. Thanks guys.

8. Model "A" rear springs are mounted on 49 1/4" perch centers, and I believe 40 to 48's are mounted on 48" perch centers. Might want to check that out.
    HemiDeuce.

9. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

If that's the case, anybody have a Model A spring near Kentucky?

10. Fwiw, the rear spring on my 31 is mounted on SoCal spring brackets and they're 44" apart.
    (The main leaf is a SoCal and the remainder is 40 Ford.)
    [​IMG]

There's a 3/4" panhard bar mounted to the rear of the rear axle.
    Clearance is 1/8" - 3/16", but it does clear.
    (Suspension cycled through its range of travel sans spring.)

Mounting the panhard bar on my car had to be at the back since most of the room for a panhard bar was taken up by the sway bar . . . a very necessary item in my opinion.

I don't think you'll have any problems using a Model A spring with your adjustable spring perch - and Z'd frame.

The 1" thick aluminum plate you see in the first pic is an "un-lowering" block.
    Without it, the car sits like this with 28" tall tires.
    [​IMG]

Non-Z'd 32 frame fwiw.

11. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thanks C9!!

Well if it is true that the 40's style spring should be mounted 48" perch to perch, (I mounted the perches 49 14") and it looks like I'm going to run into clearance problems right out of the gate, I'm gonna see if I can find a good Model A rear spring.

Is ANY '28-'31 rear spring OK to use?

12. As far as I know, all model A cars. light trucks, and roadster pickups had the same rear spring from 28 thru 31.---Brian

13. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thanks Brian. Well, the hunt begins.

14. Old Guy

Old Guy

Speedway has them brand new for 100.00.

15. Take note that the SoCal main leaf mentioned above is shorter than a stock 40 main leaf.

The 2nd leaf is removed as well.

Once the car is up and running I may end up shortening the 2nd leaf a bit and reinstalling it as well as add the one or two short leafs that were pulled.

Right now, I think it may stay the way it is, un-lowering block and all....:D

16. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

This is the same as Model A? I thought the model A springs were over 39"?

Attached Files:

17. spooler41

spooler41

I used a Mod A spring on my lakes mod. build, with a '40 rear end,spring behind set up.
    I removed 2 top leaves and it seems to sit just right , sorry I don't have any pix. I had no problem getting it to go fit right.

..........Jack

18. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

What was your perch spacing?