Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics on Kevan Sledge Merc 1940

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by devilscustom, Oct 26, 2009.

1. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

I have done a search but havent find much pics on it .So bring it on

Especilly building pics so i can get some inspiration to my 39 merc

2. Rikster

Rikster

Click the photo to go to a folder on my site with a lot of Photos of Kevan's fantastic 1940 Mercury.
    A lot of the bare metal photos are when Rob Radcliffe performed repair and custom body work on the car.

Photo by injunjoe

[​IMG]

3. Always loved Kevan's Merc - picture perfect, awesome ride !!

What is under the hood Rik ?

Rat

4. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

The reshaped C-pillar/rear side window is genius on this car. Makes it one of the best – perhaps THE best – chopped 1939-40 Merc coupes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

5. Now I HAVE to agree Rik - its Flathead powered.....and soooooooooo right

I LOVE THIS CAR !!

Rat

6. 53chevy

53chevy

Kevin's and J.B.'s are "Just Right" in my mind and both have individual unique touches that make them perfect! Also, Thanks to Rik for documenting these two Customs!!!!

Ken

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

There isnt anything that i would change on this car its a very well done ,thought out ride,the chop is perfect,the stance is on the money and the fabrication is amazing.And it has a flathead,cant ask for more than that.

8. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Rik i have already looking on your fantastic site but unfortenly no pic is on that outstanding chopping job

9. WOW!!! Great looking car. The satin green seems to accentuate lines.
    I think the attraction to customs in like being attracted to a voluptuous woman.
    Curvy and beautiful.

10. Hey, This is the merc Rob & Octtavio worked on last year. If I remember correctly this merc was already chopped but had some issuse. I know for a fact Rob did do alot of rust repaire and I am perty sure he reworked the C pillar area of the chop and maybee more. Octtavio did alot of the finall body work and laid down the satin green paint. I will find out more imfo today when they show up for work and see if they have any pic's they can shear.

11. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

yeah, real nice car. looks good from all angles.

12. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Exk sound great thanxs man

13. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Just wanted say a quick thanks for the kinds words about my merc. Im glad you guys like it! I been wanting to build this car for over 20 years ever since I first saw the stardust then learned about the Matranga merc.

Although I have done a ton of work to this car myself (mostly in the chop) I have a lot of people to thank for helping me get the car to where it is now. The guy's involved in this build are Rob Radcliff, Octavio Chavez, Anthony Castaneda, Mark Idzardi, "Hudson" Joe Buffardi, Pete Nash, and Vic Jimenez. Some guys were involved more than others over the years but I appreciate everyones help all the same.

Sorry but I didn't take many pictures when I was chopping it and now I regret it! It was about 8 years ago but know I have some crappy Polaroid photo's somewhere and will post them when I find em.

Future plans for the car are definitely gloss paint, finish the upholstery, side glass, and possibly a 49 caddy mill if this flathead keeps pissin me off! I've put a lot of thought in the side glass and although it's been done to death I think Im going with the Matranga style windows. I really like some of the slanted post stuff thats going on right now and I think it's great to be different, but for me the Matranga style glass just accentuates the sexy curves of this car and cant be beat! It's just tough to improve on that or any Sam Barris design!

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Kevan Sledge
    Shifters So. Cal.

14. Keep the flatty and hire a couple more Aussies and Kiwi's to push it around like we did at Viva this year.......;)..:D

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Sinus, You and Kent ( Jack baymoore ) have the 2 best 39/40 Mercs on the planet !

"Don't try to reinvent the wheel"

16. shoestring

shoestring

I love that merc! The build picks are great.

17. Cshabang

Cshabang

as always, looks good man...

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

19. madpole

madpole

some pics i took at winfields

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      499.7 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      504.2 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      507.3 KB
      Views:
  20. madpole

madpole

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      504.2 KB
      Views:
  21. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Saw it on here first and in the flesh at Sacramento in the Merc building and she is stunning, near perfect. Cant wait to see her finished, she deserves it.

22. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

The Sledge Merc sure reminds me of my buddy Bob's (Gearheadforever) car.....He's had it on the road for about 5 years.....She drives like a champ with a big old hemi in her....When the car was first painted, it was satin green, but after all the cleaning, it got more and more shiny.....A very nice traditional car.....gotta love those voluptuous tail draggers !........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. What he said !!

Sinus, whats wrong with the FH?

Rat

24. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thank YOU, Sledge. Great to see more photographs. So cool. Slim

25. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

great looking car.

26. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Hi guys, I wanted to come on here and say the chop on Kevan's Merc is, and always was, perfect in my opinion...I simply helped Kevan recontour the C pillar corners, but it was mainly his idea. I had nothing else to do with the roof...that's all Kevan and it's amazing work- all hammerwelded and metalfinished...just like the old days.

I enjoyed working on Kevan's Merc with him and the others mentioned, and I often remember the mad dash the last few days before the Sacramento Autorama as the car came together after years of different work here and there...got to be the most fun I've had "working on cars"...so thanks for that opportunity, Kevan.

This car will always be one of my favorites and right up there with the Matranga in my book...

Rob Radcliffe

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

'40 Merc is the Custom and Kevan yours is right up there!

Nick.

28. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Hello Sledge any luck to find those picture ?

I think yours Merc are the nicest chopping Merc 39/40 ever

29. I am sure if you look up the word "PROPER" in the dictionary - the Sledge Merc is the picture they use to explain it!

30. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I've been looking through all my pictures and haven't found any pics of the chop. I know I had a few friends who took pictures so I will ask them. I will keep looking!