Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of Langley Speedway.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lotek_Racing, Feb 4, 2007.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The comedian Gallager had a funny solution to this kind of noise problem, where airports, race tracks, etc. that were initially built in the sticks became surrounded by residential areas and then folks would complain about the noise. Only DEAF people were allowed to live near them!

The track looks very good. Perhaps some college kids will dig it up in 2000 years during a summer project and perserve it! Gary

2. rustdodger

rustdodger

Thanks for posting!I didn't know the track was still so intact. I was there for races a couple of times once to see the car in my avatar race while my dad was on the crew. Another time I was there to pit for a stock car in the mid seventies(IDC race?). During hot laps the Granada I was pitting for was rear ended by a Grand Am as the driver of the Grand Am (I think it was Marsh Marmaluck (sp) fron eastern Canada?)looked down to check his gauges just as the Yellow flag came out. The nose of the grand Am scattered big time. The Granada has the stock 5MPH bumper on the back and it took the impact with little to no damage. When the driver of the Grand Am came looking for us to smooth things over he was unsure he had found the right car based on the lack of damage to our car compared to the wadded up nose on his.

3. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

4. I went to Western as a kid , now I go as an old fart. I get a kick out of the Real Estate agents... "yeah that will be closed down soon" The track has been grandfathered in so it will never close...Yee Haw!:p

5. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

6. I may be a little home sick right now.

7. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

A while ago somebody told me the track was protected somehow from being forced to close, I hope that it's true. I know some of the "rich golf" people that live in the no yard side by side houses up on the mountain want the track gone.

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Are any of those old racecars still around? Sure would like to see a pic or two.

9. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

10. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

11. rustdodger

rustdodger

Bud Bussiere those black and white shots are a real treat please keep them coming! Do you have any of the Western Washington cars especially the Skagit regulars at Langley?

12. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

13. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

14. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

15. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

16. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

17. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

18. jmh

jmh

Love those old supermodified pics!! John

19. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

20. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

21. AllenK

AllenK

I hate it when a track is forced to close even if the track was there first. That is pure BS,and it happens way too often!

22. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

Great Pictures !!! any chance of this track opening again?

23. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

Langley Speedway is now a Heritage Site that is being restored. Never say Never!

24. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Bud: Thanks a bunch for all the pics! Just in case you don't have the driver's name, the "Hub City" offset roadster is Alvin Haggith from Nanaimo. I also noticed our own Roy Smith's #7 upright with youthful crew member Ian Vantreight (second from the left) standing behind it. I BELIEVE the other crew member is Dale Shatford. And is that Larry Sproule's rear-engined roadster next to the #49 car? I think #49 was from Washington state but I can't recall the driver's name. I always remember Larry Sproule's purple B modified from 1967 (sponsored by Hiway Garage) with the screaming 261 Pontiac inline 6 that sounded like a huge pack of angry hornets - an AWESOME sound! Keep the photos coming and that is GREAT that the track is being restored! Regards, Dave.

25. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Maybe this is one of those old IDC races...could that #26 be Herman Schuerman from Wa state? Me and a couple friends bought a 66 Chevelle stockcar from him back in '74, i'm thinking that could be the same car...

26. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

27. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I'm wondering if the #49 could be Cecil Walker?

28. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc

29. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Weedburner: You may be right, although "Gordy Stewart" now comes to mind. John Linder (Parkin's T Bucket) drove a similar-bodied car, along with one built by Bo Reeder (can't recall the driver's name on that one either - getting old sucks!). Regards, Dave.

30. Bud Bussiere

Bud Bussiere
    from surrey bc