Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods pics of cars you built before you were 20

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hawk"s ratts, Jan 21, 2010.

1. the steve

the steve

my 72 duster i bought in highschool. drove it everyday with the slant six. did the v8 swap senior year at cale kerns speed shop where i work. now im a junior in college. its still a work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the day i got it when i was 16.
    [​IMG]

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I was in the svc from 17 to 21. Had nice shit, but no time to build one.:confused:

3. yngrodder

yngrodder

4. Ramblur

Ramblur

Good Times...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. blwright

blwright

I'm sure daddy Mike had some nice inputs.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Got my '51 for my 14th birthday, no drivetrain, just a body and frame. Spent the next 3 yrs building it. Still have it 15 yrs later. It has been rebuilt a few times since.

Looking back, Dad was a lot smarter than I gave him credit for. Being stuck in the garage working on the truck kept me from running around and getting into (more) trouble.

[​IMG]

7. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

Me and my dad started this when I was 14

Attached Files:

8. Here is my baby, im 18...
    looking for my second something to start rebuilding this summer

[​IMG]

9. chris55

chris55

Built when I was 17.
    [​IMG]

10. gearjammer38

gearjammer38
    from pk,ny

I know the first two arent HAMB friendly, but im still proud of 'em.I turn 20 on Saturday, maybe i can squeeze in one more project before then

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Motion bird

Motion bird

This is the car I bought when I was 17. This pic was taken when I was 19(1991). I had already swapped out the 307 for a 350 that I built myself,I changed just about every body panel on the car at least twice. Had about a half a dozen transmissions in it. This is a pic of it the last day it turned a tore on a public roadway,back in 1991. I drove it to Raceway park and flipped the transmission upside down because I had the rear suspention jacked up on air shocks to clear those tires. I decided that the car needed to be tubbed. I took an air hammer to it and thats where it ended. I still own the car and am in the proicess of finishing it. I simply replaced it with another car that I have been racing for the last 16 years.

[​IMG]

Big dreams. This is also when I was 19.

[​IMG]

But I painted it first

[​IMG]

This is the only pic I have of my first car. My 67 Cutlass that I owned for a month and scrapped. I put floors in it,a rug and some seats,dorve it for a few weeks and decided it wasn't all I was expecting.

[​IMG]

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Drove this to the '76 Street Rod Nationals. I was 19. Street Rod Nats sticker still in the front window.
    [​IMG]

13. YoungGun

YoungGun

im 21 now and have already had 23 cars,some old and some newer here are just a COUPLE.. ive had a 29 Cdan also and right now im working on my 67 nova gasser...i only like older rides but started my addiction with a 64 impala ss mini trucker style i love to bag and lower cars/trucks but also am very up on traditional stylings

Attached Files:

14. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i was 19 in this picture

Attached Files:

15. YoungGun

YoungGun

bump lets see em'

16. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

I'm 20 now and am going to school for mechanical engineering. I bought the bel air when I was 17 and work on it when I have the time and/or money. The suburban was my daily beater in high school.

Attached Files:

17. abone1930

abone1930

None Hamb friendly, But If I could have I would have:D My two before 20, and the bug finished at 21:rolleyes:
    I will never forget my face at 17 when the tire busted one of my slot front runners:mad: Went and bout me some centerlins to replace. It used to be hard to find stuff before the internet

Attached Files:

18. im 17 building this started it around april this year should be done by the summer next year im hoping

from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now back to this final fitting everything

[​IMG]

19. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Damn you guys make me feel worthless. My first car was a '79 V6 mustang that I gutted and painted flat black (this was before I'd heard of rat rods) when I was 15, if you can call that finishing a car. Still working on building my first rod and I'm 24 now. Can I use the excuse of coming from a family of green hippys?

20. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Bought it when I was 17 and sold it when I started college. Built the roller 302 and installed AOD trans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  21. classicfins

classicfins

This thing is just sweet! Love the stance.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      118.2 KB
      Views:
  22. BELLM

BELLM

1967, 19 yrs old. Glass body ordered out of the back pages of Hot Rod $49.95. The cardboard box it came in was sturdier than the body

Attached Files:

• 278.JPG
      278.JPG
      File size:
      71.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Blown35

Blown35

Here I am at 19 in 69 building my 61 Vette in the driveway!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. classicfins

classicfins

Great thread!

All of these were either finished, or in progress by the time I was 20. The '63 I built when I was 18, the Nova was finished in '85 when I was 22. At 19 or 20 I bought the T roadster as seen in this pic, but tore it down and rebuilt it a year or so later.The VW kit car was my daily driver for a few years. Sold it when I was 20 or 21.

Attached Files: