Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics: Kinmont Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chickenridgerods, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I've not seen any "good" photos of this brand of brakes posted here on the HAMB, so I've uploaded a bunch of photos of the "set" that are "in the family" for those who have an interest in such parts.

Say/think what you wish, but 50% of this set has been in the family for longer than I can remember and were most definitely not a "make all the bozos on the internet jealous", eBay gold-chainerism type purchase. The other half, well, was just some dumb kid blowing more money than he should have on some stupid old parts. Hey, jealousy's a bitch and he couldn't let big bro' have all the fun.

Related threads, for reference. There are others, but these have the most "meat" to them. Some pretty humorous reading, none-the-less.

"Kinmont brakes ???" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166028
    "Kinmont's sure, but Milans?" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163069
    "Kinmont brakes ...likem?" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2651
    "NOS Kinmonts" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148247&highlight=kinmont
    "How rare are Kinmont brakes?" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29354&highlight=kinmont
    "Kinmont Brakes" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3256
    "15480 for kinmont brakes" --- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149372

Click the photo for a larger version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. john56h

john56h

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting the photos and links to other articles. Often wondered how many sets were made and how well they worked.

4. Yup, thanks. They make more sense now with individual pics.-MIKE:cool:

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

they always looked alot like a modern motorcycle wet clutch to me.

cool pics love the kinmonts

6. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Can you get new brake cylinders at autozone?

Rich

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you for taking the time to post these. Best pictures of the individual parts I've seen.

9. alchemy

alchemy

No, but the cup and outer bellow are common off-the-shelf sizes. You only need to buy half as many, too. So, Kinmonts save you money!

10. Thanks for the pics. Really nice.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Halfway down the pics, where it shows the closeup of the cylinders, notice the two different styles. Cast iron verses cast aluminum. Must be early verses late. But which is which I don't know.

And see how the red brakes' mounting holes hold it straight up on the spindle(axle), and the bare ones are angled? And see the red ones have a dimple (with a freeze plug in it) above the cylinder, and the bare ones don't? The red ones were, I believe, originally a set for a rear axle and the parking brake cable entered through the dimpled-and-plugged area. The inner parking brake mechanism is now missing. Only good for use on the front axle now.

The red set used to be run on the front of the Dave Gale "Spencer Clone" roadster in the early 80's. Have been in my dark and dreary possession ever since. Somebody should start a Kinmont registry.

12. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

thanks for the pics and the articles.

13. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Here's a shot of some on this cool deuce at the Pileup this year that i snapped (actually i think i 'stole' the brake picture from somewhere on here). Didn't know where else to post these so i hope don't mind i posted them here.

Attached Files:

14. Or perhaps original vs. replacement?

I've seen the iron style on other Kinmont'd cars (such as the 3W posted above), but never noticed the other style. The aluminum ones are a Girling part and have the number 313440 cast on the side.

Additionally, on the full set that a fellow HAMB member had, the rears used yet another variation of the iron cylinders shown above. Instead of having the bleeder and hose inlet rotated in relation to the mounting holes, the bleeder and inlet were in-line with the holes.

Also note how the cable assembly for the parking brake mounts to the backing plate. If anyone can provide photos of how the cable attaches to the internal mechanism of the brake, that'd be fantastic. I suspect it's pretty simple, which means it might be possible to return the red set to rear-axle use w/o too much work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. scruff

scruff

There really isn't any internal parts for the parking brake; all they have is a notch or slot on the back of the wheel cylinder pivot that the cable ball would slip into.If you took the plugs out it's probably still right there.

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Them polished ones are insane!!

I've always wanted a set of these since the Lil Deuce Coupe graced the cover of the Beach Boys album...That pic ruled my childhood!!

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

haha... Nice pic ;)

Thanks for 'coming out of the closet' Chickenridgerods! :D Great photos and details.

Malcolm

18. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

very cool thanks for posting !

19. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

thats like 30k worth of brakes there. WOW

20. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Wish I could afford a set !!! A buddy of mine has a set for sale here in Phoenix , get wood everytime I see 'em.

21. Mart

Mart

Thanks for posting the pics of the internals - I can now see how they work. Is there any anecdotal evidence to suggest they were any better than a 12" ford non self energising brake? I wonder if they are better than the 12" Lincolns.
    They look pretty cool and absolutely great when polished.
    Mart.

22. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

must have been you i stole it from huh:D Thanks, hope you don't prosecute!

these brakes are just crazy. i can't for the life of me figure out how they even work. I never really paid much attention to them until now. Great photos by the way

23. MilesM

MilesM

Ha Ha, I assume it is the same person unless there are two sets floating around Phoenix for sale. He keeps reminding me he has them everytime I see him. He must think I need a set!

24. bardahl1

bardahl1

how much for a nice set of re-pops?

25. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ain't no such thing as re=pops of Kinmont brakes.

26. bardahl1

bardahl1

it's only a matter of time......... Ferguson?

27. Gearstix

Gearstix

Those are awesome looking.

28. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Great thread. Good information.