Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Picky insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrpmtork, Jan 29, 2013.

1. lowrpmtork

lowrpmtork

I'm frustrated here:mad: I'm trying to get my 31 insured so I can get it plated. Problem is my agent said the underwriters kicked it back because they said the interior was not completed and they could not insure it for agreed value until that is done. My problem is it is pretty much done except I plan on moving the shifter and laying out new gauges. That is about how I want it. I've got State Farm and have run everything thru them (same agent the whole time) for the past 25 years and really would like to keep this with them to. The quoted rate is super cheap to. They are even insuring it as a custom vehicle and not original or restored. But I'm stuck because they don't think the interior is "finished." Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think or if you have suggestions on how to get them to understand it is "finished."

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. trollst

trollst

Half the interior is black, half is white, paint it all white or all black, especially the door panels. OR, remove the door panels, install black ones, insure, then change back, under the guise of improvements.

3. badshifter

badshifter

I'd swap out the steering column, dash, shifter, and brake pedal, put some mats or carpet in it, do door panels and a headliner and maybe swap out the seat. And hide the Playboy air freshener.
    If none of that is doable, switch insurance companies. They do what they do for a reason, better they tell you now than deny a claim later.

4. All I can say is they would sure hate mine!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree - a good way to start is to make it all look similar

6. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Have your agent check Grundy.

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

It doesnt look finished to me either! How about agree on a value with a finished interior, and a value without, then when its done change? Ive had state farm all my life, family has had them forever too, they seem reasonable

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, it could use a few things, but I'd just use Grundy anyway. They only want pics of the outside because they deal with custom vehicles. State Farm is just a little too main stream for some styles. To them, a stripped down interior spells race car.

11. Had the same trouble with State Farm for my hotrods. Dropped them and went with Hagerty for about half of what State Farm was going to charge me...before they changed their mind about insuring them.

12. Make it all one color.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you are too proud of your car and trying to insure it for streetrod values as seen on Barrett-Jackson and they don't agree with your Value. My collector insurance company balked at first until I proved that it was in fact an SS396 convertible and not just an average Chevelle. Did they suggest a value that they could agree with? It's their business to know the real value. Your car would be worth more to many people with a finished interior even if you don't want it finished. Agreed value means that both parties agree on the value.

14. eastcoastron

eastcoastron

Hagerty insured mine with no problems.The cost was reasonable too.

15. yblock292

yblock292

16. txturbo

txturbo

I use Hagerty....they insure projects and spare parts also. It doesn't matter if its finished or not. If you start a project out as a shell....you can just insure that and increase the amount of coverage as you build it. My 55 Chevy truck is insured for $5K and its all in pieces. That is just to cover all the parts. As I get it reassembled I up the covered amount.
    A long time ago I had a 66 Impala as my daily driver insured by State Farm. A guy hit me head on coming out of a parking lot and fled the scene. State Farm said it was more than 10 years old so its totaled and was going to give me $500. All it needed was a front clip. I finally convinced them to just pay for the front clip and I would install it. I'm sure they would do the same thing today.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  17. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Grundy was $200 cheaper than Hagerty, and didn't care about the interior.

18. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

American National's CHROME program is the way to go!

19. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Mine was bare steel with Grundy.......Cheap and easy folks to deal with

20. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

21. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Classic Underwritters .. Former Grundy Exec and staff

22. First from what I see your interior is not going to be considered complete to anyone who looks at new Ford Focuses for a living. And it is certainly not show quality so if you are trying to insure your car the same as one with a show quality value you are whistling in the wind.

Find a certified appraiser and have an appraisal done. Take that information to the insurance company. You may not be pleasently surprised when you get your car appraised. Sometimes the appraiser does not take sweat equity into account. Next you may still not be pleasently surprised when you come to the realization that the insurance company is not required to sell you insurance.

I have had good luck so far with American Family. I cannot say that I have ever had good luck with any insurance with farm somewhere in the name. With American Family I had this truck insured with an agreed value of 11K. Of course it did have a seat cover and stock door panels intact.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While I do understand that State Farm does occasionally cover modified cars, to me they are more for insuring your family car than the type we drive. A speciality company, like Grundy and Haggarty, understand hot rods, antiques, and cars like that and are set up to make insuring your car so much easier. I would think they would also be more accomodating if a claim were ever needed.

I have Grundy and all they wanted were pictures of the outside of the car and assurances I had a garage to keep it in. No fuss, no muss.

Don

24. grf-x

grf-x

IF your a veteran... USAA they are hands down Tops of any insurance.

25. Way to smoke 'em, Beaner!!:D

26. vert1940

vert1940

my state farm agent advised me NOT to insure with state farm,to have it insured by a specialty company,like grundy or hagerty

27. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

The insurance company should be working for YOU. I don't care how cheap the quote is, if they they won't insure you ,then WTF. Go with a specialty company.

28. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Get a direct quote from hagerity or Grundy. I picked hagerty because they offer more coverage than Grundy did. Plus hagerty offered roadside assistance , and extra parts value at no additional charge.

29. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

30. Yep get the revs up a bit slip you foot off the brake and stand on it. The truck was not real fast by modern standards but it put on a good show. ;)

What universe do you come from?

Your agent should be working for you you are his bread 'n' butter. The insurance company works for them selves to them you are a liability.