Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picking up a 235 for the 51...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PR51, Mar 11, 2011.

1. PR51

PR51

So yeah,

If all goes like planned this weekend, I will be picking up a 235 to swap out the 216 in our 51 Chevy...

As some of you know I am a real new guy to all this but I Love it and I'm all ears to any suggestions and help, no matter if it be mechanical, or just plain ol' stuff to look out for and expect.

I've learned a heck of a lot more than I ever knew before because of you guys on the HAMB, so thanks for that.

I found this guy that is selling me a 235 from his 56 pickup that is in good running condition for $200 (because he is dropping a v8).
    All I'm hearing is good stuff about the 235/216 swap and that even for a beginner like me it should be a simple task but like I said, any insight, have at it.

thanks,

Larry

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the only thing that might give you trouble is, the front motor mount might need a little love to fit the car. not sure if trucks used the same mounts as cars?
    and the bellhousing unbolts AFTER the trans is pulled and the flywheel is removed. weird if you are used to working on newer stuff. get the water pump out of the way, as discussed on inliners.org, and you are a bolt in transplant away.

get his exhaust too, so you can split the manifold and have the pipe already to take to the muffler shop.

3. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

4. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Koll lookin 51

5. I would check the engine serial number to make sure it is indeed a 56 block. Some of the early 235 were not full pressure engines. They were splash lubricated like your 216. (also referred to as babbit)

Here's some good deciphering info...

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/enginecodes.htm

http://www.inliners.org/
    (for inliners click on the casting numbers tab on the left)

6. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

agreed.... also, if i were doing an engine swap on my stovebolt, i'd look for a 283. the fuel economy won't be much different and you'll get a better motor with more power and nicer rumble....

7. PR51

PR51

53sled... thats what I hear about the front motor mount and the rest is pretty smooth. (bellhousing noted) and good heads up on the exhaust. thnx!

Deadelvis2000... thanks I actually never saw that link yet!

Slick39... thnx

PurdueSD & dragsta... good stuff, this one is not supposed to be babbit but I'll def use those references thnx!