Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picked up a (Olds) new ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluthndr, Oct 16, 2018.

1. bluthndr

bluthndr

I'm pretty much a newer (late 60s-early 70s) Olds guy and into (of course) traditional hot rods but this (50s) is a little left field for me. It's a 1955 Olds 98 Holiday 4-door.

A while ago I wrote a tech archive on the early Olds Rocket engines on here, so I'm comfortable with the drivetrain stuff.

What can you tell me about these cars? Mainly is there anywhere to buy parts for it? Do they share any architecture (frame, suspension, brakes, electrical?) with tri-5 shoebox Chevys?

It's just gonna be a driver but I'd like to put some shocks on it and maybe a few other minor repairs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. Can't really help with your questions except a bump to the top and saying that looks like fun cruiser, 4 dr hardtop.

bluthndr and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

congrats -looks good in pics-what is condition of motor, etc?

4. I bought my parents 55 olds while in the military. I'd used [and abused] the car while in high school. They're good cars and the 4 speed auto transmission is excellent as long as you don't do neutral-drops. They share exactly zero parts with chevies of the same years.
    If it's got the old "tredle vac" power brakes, the power booster is available but expensive. The 324 engines are pretty good. Watch for rocker arm and lifter wear.
    My old 55 super 88: 55olds.jpg

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No Tri-Five cross over. But!? is that a Canadian car. Roof looks taller than normal for an Olds. It's more like that of 56 and 57 Chevy 4 door hard top?????

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Last of the dual range hydros & full gauges. Get some whitewalls & duals on it & drop the front a ways. If you check the front suspension, note the lack of tube shocks - you have to craft some mounts, or rebuild the originals. Please don't let someone talk you into a bunch of new stuff from the cowl forward - those are excellent road cars.

bluthndr and Johnny Gee like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Didn't 56's come with both Hydro and Jetaway trans ? Mine had a Hydro.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Marty,
    As I understand it, the '56 Deluxe 88s used the dual range until existing stock was used up in assembly plants and Jetaway production up to speed. I have 2 versions of '56 owner's manuals, one for each trans.

9. What 302 GMC said^^^... My 56 98 convertible came with a Jetaway and my classmate's 56 super 88 came with a hydro.
    Bluthndr 's car is a 55 and all 55 automatics were the dual range hydro.

bluthndr likes this.
  10. belair

belair

Loved mine, put a 54 Pontiac grille in it. Got a new 324 short block if you're interested.

bluthndr likes this.
  11. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

nice looking car. if your looking for shared parts go with the same year buicks is your best bet.

12. F&J

F&J

Olds Parts manuals show that the base 88 in 1956 had the Hydramatic, then 1956 S-88 and 98 had the new Jetaway.

302GMC likes this.
  13. bluthndr

bluthndr

Runs and shifts good. Starts right away. It'll never be a show car but a fun driver.

Turns out it's bagged all the way around. It's in serious need of some new shocks and some minor repair items. Weatherstripping is virtually non existent and there are some latches and minor such things I'd like to repair.

Dual exhaust with turbo mufflers and shocks are first on the list.

So it sounds like I'm on the classifieds/Ebay/Swap meet program eh?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. bluthndr and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did some work on a 56 Holiday that had a Jetaway.

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

As soon as production could fulfill the needs of GM, all Olds production got the Jetaway. I had a black '56 Deluxe 88 2 dr sedan with 2 options - E-Z-Eye glass & Jetaway.
    GMC & Chev trucks are dual range until '59, possibly later in GMC.

Johnny Gee likes this.