Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picked up a B&D valve seat grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Oct 24, 2012.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I picked this up the other day to get a few of my heads done. Black and Decker " Vibro-centric" kit.

It's pretty complete with the stone resurfacer , some valve guide arbors and a selection of 30 and 45 degree stones. I don't know how old this is but the drill seems to still work pretty good. Theres a few pieces like the large round stone and arbor i'm unsure of. Any idea of when this would have been made?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      215.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      186.3 KB
      Views:
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

40s to 60s most likely.

3. Southfork

Southfork

I'd guess later (70's maybe?). The ones from the 40's and 50's came in wood boxes/cases rather than metal or plastic IIRC. You'll also need to get the tool to dress the stones with if you plan on using it much.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably 70's/80's, I got one for the high school auto shop I taught in in the mid 80's That was pretty similar to that one.

They work pretty good and that one looks like it has most of the basic pieces to get you going.

I said it on another thread on a similar machine a few days ago and it goes for anyone starting out using a valve or valve seat grinder. When you go to dress the stones back the diamond nib (the screw in the seat dresser that contacts the stone) out so the tip clears the stone when you work the handle up and down and slowly turn it back in a little at a time while you spin the stone with the power head. You want the diamond tip to just contact the stone and work it up and down the face of the stone turning it in a little at a time when you need to until you get the surface of the stone dressed. A false move and you are out about 50.00 for a new diamond nib. The kids knocked out more than one when they were dressing stones on the valve machines in the shop over the years.

5. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Got a Snap On version just like it. Havent used it in years till a couple of months ago. Did a valve job on a Model T. Still works great.

6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I was selling those sets for Black and Decker in the 60's. Probably still used that box thru the 70's

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks for the info