Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods picked up a 47 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, May 2, 2015.

1. i had to sell my 53 awhile back so the pas few weeks ive been itching for something new. walking the canfield swap meet this one spoke to me and I got a good price so she will be home tomorrow. from what I know im the second owner. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dave Mc likes this.
  2. great find. My first car many years ago. Ran a 303 Olds up against 39 box and no starter. Had to push it all the time to start it, but we were young and foolish then!

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

4. Clevername

Clevername

Got any plans?

5. Looks like a pretty solid old car that you can drive and enjoy!

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Congrats

7. First I have to re wire it, then lower it, find some skirts. Tires and hubcaps, French and shave everything.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

9. thegreek

thegreek
    from San Diego

10. donno

donno

Nice, I know it's yours but please don't discard the side trim when you start shaving. those car's need just a "touch of bling" to really stand out. I have a 46 ( in the classifieds) they're neat cars. Have fun.

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Great Find ! I have a 48 with some of the Changes you mentioned , Fun & Comfortable cars

Attached Files:

12. fortynut

fortynut

Nothing looks better than one of these that has been left with all that Ford blessed it with, that has been slammed. The bright work is what gives it character. If you want a bar of soap buy a Toyota. So few examples of the original exist in pure form, yours will stand out. Otherwise buy a junker and smooth it up like butterball turkey. And, you're hearing this from someone who didn't just fall of the turnip truck. I've been around longer than these things have. I was five or six years old when I first saw a brand spanking new one and got hooked on the little books in the drugstore. You don't know what you've got if you start taking stuff off the trunk and hood. The trunk without the current placement of the handle/tag holder, looks like an elephant's ass shined up with Kiwi polish. And the hood takes on a thoroughly wide and ungainly look without something to draw the eye away from the width. It's not like a '40 but both need the chrome. Ford designers were smart enough to make it look right with the larger width front end by judiciously adding grace notes. Take it away and it loses, rather than gains. And, I'm not talking out of my hat. I've owned more than a few of these coupes and I've studied all examples of what can be done, and what works and what does not. Short of a total ape shit restyle you end up with the same proportions as it was built with, and they only improve if you have the raw talent of a genius. If you're that guy, you have my blessing. I'm just trying to save you some grief. My sermon is over. Today is Sunday. Go in Peace. Amen.

13. Well made it home almost. Just died while driving and wouldn't start. Have a lot to go through and learn. This is my first flathead. The tranny sounds like there are ball bearings in it when not accelerating. Lots to do and fun to be had

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

all the oil probably leaked out of your transmission. thats another voice of experience

15. raidmagic

raidmagic

Well now it's offically yours. Nothing like your first break down to really make a car yours.

Dave Mc likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

wont start? check the fuel filter because the tank has a LOT of rust.

17. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455916489.655597.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455916524.990026.jpg
    Little lower and a little faster. Wheels and tires coming soon

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lookin better already!!

19. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1461290745.337158.jpg
    Took off the tail lights and made my own bumper guard lights, oh and new wheels tires and caps.

Sancho and AdeQ8Styl like this.
  20. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I like the shaved tail lights. I had two coupe projects myself but sold them. Never had time.

21. Clevername

Clevername

She is looking nice! Nice stance.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

moving right along - bumper guard lights are cool looking but, don't be surprised if you hear squealing tires braking hard behind you - I used single inner '63-'65 Corvette tail lights on fenders on a '47 about the location where the end of the side spears end - just a thought - removed trunk handle and moved lic plate down near lower edge of trunk - used 60's VW front bonnet latch with manual cable that had end come through base of rear seat with a T handle on it on drivers side - how did you lower it?.

23. Those are good ideas. In the rear I took out 4 leaves and up front just longer shackles

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Very nice, I'd be happy with that in my garage

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that those tail/brake lights will be enough to help warn a SUV from "kissing" your rear

26. I have a third brake light in the back window

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app