Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Picked up a 1949 Ford Shoebox 15,000 mile Original

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, May 20, 2018.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown

Just purchased a all Original Montana 49 Shoebox with 15,000 miles. Seems to be a pretty nice car. Story is that a rancher near Lewistown, Montana bought the car new for his wife and she didn't like it. They drove it a while and then backed it in a shed where it sat for about 10 or so years. It was then put inside a shed where it sat for another 50 years. The car runs very well and drives like a new 49. The paint on the hood took a beating from the sun but the rest of the paint held up well and buffed out pretty nice. Light don't work other than the brake lights and the wipers don't work but I'am working on those two problems now. Radio doesn't work but also could just be the wiring. Upholstery looks very good other than a couple of mice holes. Has all new brakes, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Brakes work great. All fluids have been changed. So where is a good place to start on the wiring.

Attached Files:

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Check your compression on all cylinders. Capacitors dry out so thats probably why the radio doesnt work

3. That thing is a beauty. What a great find. I think the mice activity might be the cause of your lights not working. They love to chew up insulation on wiring.

4. Nice looking Shoebox

5. Looks great. Not a lot of wiring, so shouldn't be too hard to trace .

How do you find all of these great cars?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. exterminator

exterminator

To think that car was hidden in a shed there in town when i went there to visit my uncle Gus in 1971 when i was stationed at Malstrom AFB. Nice car!

7. Cowtown

Cowtown

Anyone know where I can find a used original trunk mat? I want to show it in a original class. The only things that have been changed so far is the spark plugs and rotor. The master and wheel cylinders and rubber brake hoses. And tires. Original spare still in trunk. So I don't want to change anything more than I have to.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You are a lucky man... My first car was a 49 Ford...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Great find! I’m a little “green” with envy ;)

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, that's a good one...