Register now to get rid of these ads!

PIC/STORY REQUEST: Vintage So-Cal Car Culture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey everybody, I've heard so many great stories and seen so many photos about the vintage NJ car scene, I'd like to get the flip side from the opposite coast.

I'd like to hear stories and see pictures of cruising the Blvds, diners, burger joints, street racing, car hops and the places that were hubs of the California car scene in the 50's and 60's. I'd like to see some pics and stories about how it was back in the day in So-Cal, like you were living in a Kent Bash painting.

Note: this is not an opinion thread. I don't want to hear how gay the scene is, rockabilly sucks, who cares how they do it in CA, etc. This is from a historical perspective only.

So let's see/hear what ya got!!!! Old timers, I'm calling you out!!!!

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

BTTT, come on, someone had to be there!

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Diners in the fashion that us Jersey residents are accustomed to are pretty much just here. That being said, I would imagine it was killer back in the day. Just the weather etc.

4. there's been 100's of books on So. Calif. in the day. I don't have a single decent photo of my first five cars. the drive in's, (restaraunts and movies. different memories there haha) the street racing was always my favorite. the coffee house scene (beatnik's were big for about 6 months) the bikes, cars, women are all just memories locked up in my mind.

We never had events like the round up or Paso. we never had hot rods at home, just daily drivers that were a full time job keeping air in the tires. we never thought it was an inconvience to pull over and let a car cool down or get running again after a vapor lock it was all everyday stuff. push started a car with a dead battery or starter. I think those with an import driving back and forth to the j.o.b. are missing the joy or history of the automobile. just posers dreaming of a simpler time and what it must be like. this whole generation is spoiled by cars that start and run everytime you turn the key (we never knew if it was going to run or not) and gas mileage was only important for the MOBIL ECONOMY RUN ( something that the magazines thought was important) in 1955 Buick (not chevrolet) not only got the best mileage for a full size car, they also posted the fastest 0-60 times (different models)

All those things are still out there, the roads are better, the building are bigger, the cars are faster, and the women, well lets just say they look younger but just a sweet as ever.

Go out and make your own memories and leave mine alone, try going a full month with touching a late model car and you will remember it good or bad!

5. Here's three.

[​IMG]
    SoCal from the mid 50's to the mid 60's and onward.
    The little guys in drag racing for the most part.
    Available at Amazon.

[​IMG]
    Life along the SoCal coast late 50's into the mid 60's or so.
    One special girl and a couple of special 40 Ford coupes.
    HAMB'r cost, 50% off.

[​IMG]
    An anthology about the early days of drag racing.
    Available at Amazon.

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Thanks NONAME, that's great info. BTTT for some more