Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic Request: 1950-51 Mercury - behind installed dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Hello Gentlemen,
    I'm looking for any pictures of your 1950 or 1951 Mercury, up behind an installed dash. Looking for wiring passing through the firewall, dash attach brackets, etc. When I got my car, the dash had already been removed, and my parts manuals don't show that area very well. Does anybody have pictures they could share? Please post them here or PM me for my email address to send directly to me.

Thank you in advance.

2. 49dreamer

49dreamer

Here are some pictures of my 1950. I'm also in the midst of refreshing my dash and instrument panel. I'm not sure if the pictures will be helpful but I have circled where my dash was bolted to the sidewall of the car.

Attached Files:

3. 49dreamer

49dreamer

The dash also uses screws up at the top below the windshield. I've circled them in the picture. Keep in mind some of the holes are for the interior windshield surround molding. There should be ones that line up with the dash surround and the others will line up for the molding.

Attached Files:

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

There are only two locations where wiring or harness bundles went through into the engine compartment. The upper left corner is the most obvious one for the large main electrical harness and the one just to the right of the steering column for overdrive & heater wiring to go through as applicable. The only thing I don't see in the previous posted pics, is the steering column support brackets. The central bracket is stamped sheet metal that attaches just under the windshield/cowl area with two welded studs & nuts and a lateral bracket constructed of round stock that attaches to the left cowl area near the left lower dash bolt attach area. These two brackets porvide the necessary structural strength to support the steering column at the dash board attach point.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Thanks for the pictures, 49dreamer. Those are helpful.

Does anybody have pictures up under the dash with the dash installed and steering column installed?

6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

When you add in the E-brake, overdrive handle, the giant tube type radio, steering column, and the heater with associated plenum & controls, there is not much you can actually see up in there. I have to pull the e-brake handle down just to get to the circuit breakers, fuses, & signal stat on the little panel up in there. Working under a 50/51 Merc dash is a challenge.

The Lincoln/Mercury O/H manual has a diagram of the backside of a Merc dash but it's a 49 model illustrated so its quite a bit different than the 50/51. I wish they had illustrated one for the 50/51 models too. I've had every piece out of one now so I know how it all goes back in there but I haven't put it together yet so I have no way to help with pictures at this time.

7. I just got my Merc out of the transmission shop, so I can probably get you a few pics this weekend. My emergency brake handle isn't mounted yet, so I think I can get up around the column to get a few shots you can use.

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

drdave, that would be great if you can get a few pictures for me. I'll be putting my dash back together and in very soon.

Attached Files:

9. Well, taking pics of something useful was trickier than I thought. LOL. I'll try again and maybe use my phone on reverse so I can see the screen n know what the pic will be. That way maybe I can get up behind n get usable pics of what you need. ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Well, here is the best I can do. Trying to get the camera aimed behind the dash and be far enough back at the same time to have a broad view of anything is pretty much impossible. LOL. I did get this one decent picture of the support at the steering column mount. This support bolts to the bottom of the cowl above the speedo with two nuts (the studs are attached to the cowl). The bottom of the brace lines up with the holes on the bottom of the dash that the column u-bolt goes through. The hole in the middle is where your speedo cable goes through (mine's electronic so there is no cable).

So far as where stuff goes through the firewall, I saved several pictures of stock firewalls and engine compartments to see where everything was supposed to go. I also found some pictures of the back of a stock 50/51 dash removed from the car but all the stuff still attached (radio brackets, heater cables, wiring, etc). If you need anything like that I can pull it up and post some for you.

Attached Files: