Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic of steering stabilizer on hairpin.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpkiwi, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Have purchased a So Cal steering stabilizer and cannot read the instructions due to lousy print,would appreciate a pic if anyone has one.Preferably on a dropped I Beam setup.Thanks.

2. striper

striper

No pics. Mine is mounted behind my axle. I drilled the centre of the axle and mounted one end and clamped the other end to the tie rod. No hard and fast rules other than keep it as horizontal as possible and as close to parallel to the tie rod as possible. Pull the plunger all the way out and measure the travel. Mark the mid-travel point with a sharpie. Push the plunger back in to your mark and bolt it up.

Pete

3. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Thanks striper I was figuring I needed to go half way on the plunger.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I will be at my shop in a little while and will take some pictures of the ones we have installed on 3 of our cars. Some people mount them with the skinny part of the shock going to the hairpin, but we mounted ours with the fat part going to the hairpins. 6 of one, half dozen of the other........it makes no difference functionally.

You are going to love the end result when you get it on there.

Don

5. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Hey Don would definitely appreciate that.That was another question I had as to which end where,or does it matter.
    Thanks Roger

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Roger, I went to the shop and took pictures under my 27 and my Son's rpu for you and I was shocked to see that I have been saying all along the wrong way we mounted them. I thought we mounted them with the fat body part on the hairpins, but we actually mounted them with the body on the tie rod instead. It makes no difference in function, but I guess our reason for doing it that way was so less of the stabilizer would be showing. Old age is a bear, my memory isn't worth a damn anymore ! :eek:

Anyway, here is the one on my 27.

[​IMG]

And here is the one on my Son's rpu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My other Son has one on his T bucket too but he keeps the car in one of those inflatable plastic containers so I can't get near it to take a good picture for you.

Don

7. upspirate

upspirate

Hole drilled in axle,clamped to tie rod.

Attached Files:

8. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Makes sense now, thanks for the pic Don.Roger

9. butch27

butch27

What are the clamps off of ?? I have 7/8" tie rod and radius rods and cant find a clamp to fit I even bought a bike seat clamp.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

They supply two clamps with the SoCal stabilizer, one for the hairpin and one for the tie rod. Sometimes you have to open it up a bit, but they fit most applications.

Don