Register now to get rid of these ads!

pic/link request: painted on louvers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Aug 21, 2009.

1. slepe67

slepe67

I've read that back in the day, guys who didn't have the money/resources to have actual louvers on their rides, some actually PAINTED them on there. Since my car is glass, and I want some, I was wondering if anyone has a link or some good, close-up pics handy?

Search brought up some RANDOM stuff, both here and Google. Thanks. JL

2. Good airbrushing like that would cost you more than real louvers.

3. slepe67

slepe67

can't get the real ones....it's glass...I guess I COULD go steel decklid...

I had heard they brush painted them on, kinda like pinstriping. I was thinking of getting a template made up, so I could paint a half a row at a time...I dunno...just thinking out loud.

4. John Denich

John Denich

I would not!!! like a fake blower with a carb under it!!!!

5. I've seen some.
    They looked exactly like painted on louvers.

6. That's the right answer right there. You'll be less in to it that way and it will look much better than painted ones and you might even fool a few people that your car is glass.

Option 2: No louvers. Honestly, you're gonna catch hell at shows (and probably here) if you paint them on.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just louvred some aluminium sheet and bonded onto GRP inner skin. HTH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. slepe67

slepe67

guess I'll have to revisit your thread again.

THanks for the honest feedback fellas.

9. Here is some that I painted on the front fender of my Safari.I was testing out the idea and it originally had water splashing out of the louvers with a miniature surfer riding the waves.Unfortunately I used tinted gold size for the water effect and as it isn't very durable faded away pretty quickly.

Attached Files:

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That is EXACTLY the difference. A well thought out louver pattern as a GRAPHIC is NOT the same as convincing the public that you have actual vents.
    Awesome work Safariknut.

11. skullhat

skullhat

great work, i dont see anything wrong with painting them on either, just as many do with chrome trim. its whatever effect you are lookin for

must admit that the skin placed over the plastic lid is a good idea and looks great also

skull

12. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I have seen stick on/ bolt on louvers before. Not sure who does em. That might be a better option?

13. slepe67

slepe67

yeah, I saw Kiwi Steve's car after Shine got ahold of it, and he had tacked on a panel that was 3 rows tall, and 7 wide, riveted onto the rear decklid. That's kinda what's been chipping away at my brain.

There's some stuff out there called Fusor (thanks Langy), covered previously in this site, that bonds aluminum to fiberglass. Maybe I'll try it out. It's either that, or try to MAKE a steel 32 decklid....
    thanks for the help. JL

14. Couldn't agree more. I'd only add the car makes a difference too.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Jesse it was Fusor 127 i used, Here ya go http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=31709