Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic Help - Cool tailight treatments for radical custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frizby, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Well, I have been dicking around with these 60 Chrysler? taillights on my 52 Chevy. I am unsure if I want to run them or not.

What kind of cool taillights and bumpers have you all seen?

Attached Files:

2. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Mongo has an interesting taillight treatment....:D

3. those would be cool if you extended your fender out another 6". Use like a plymouth, dodge or mid 50's Olds bumper. Mold the splash pan in

4. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Looking for maybe a 55 pontiac bumper? I've had them extended and mocked up with a conte kit. I'll have plowboy post some pics of it like that. I really didn't care for the look so I moved them in and up. I cut up a 57 caddy dagmar to stick underneath to run the exhaust out. I do plan on getting the bezels rechromed and molding the dagmars and bumper into some sort of extended pan. I just need some fresh eyes and a different take, I've been staring at it for to long. I feel I'm stuck in the land of eternal mockup. Thanks Friz!

5. mikes51

mikes51

Looks good. The transition from the tailight into the fender works for me.

To finish off the bottom section of the fender, you can't go wrong mirroring the shape of the top of the fender. Also, roll the pan or find a bumper that continues the lines of the tailights.

Now go on to the next step that will really make those tailights work. Start planning your chop. :)

6. Plowboy

Plowboy

Heath, you are gay. BTTT.

Does anyone else have any idears for the lad? How about some pics of other setups?

7. epinut

epinut

Those tailights are pretty cool, but personally I think they would work better on a post 55 car...

8. Idano, I think the tips should be raised a few inches, less of a sloped down look. Hey maybe just a rolled pan between the fenders and a couple of bumperettes on it with a recessed plate in it.

9. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

I think they could be hella cool! But looking at things - might look better if you raised them up a bit - or maybe a lot - I notice you're following a curve - but maybe where that curve peaks iun the middle of the car - pretty much flatten it out all the way to the back??

But otherwise - love the look!

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I agree w/Mike & 4t64...I see them better w/the top chop and just think everything will flow a lil better....4t64 did a pretty good job on the photoshop...I think i would personally do like a roll pan look w/a row of bullets..something right out of the lil pages....Plus it would 'compliment' the way the lights come to a point...A bumper would just throw things off in my opinion but then again...There are soooo many different style of bumpers & etc...I could be wrong and you may find somethig to work..You off to a good start tho...Keep working on it and playing with them till you find what you are comfortable with....Nice job!

11. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

I would nudge the bottoms out a bit, so the light "lay down more", if that makes sense?

I like the roll pan but the bumpers work for me as well. I think getting a smooth line out of the light and into the bumper/roll pan is really the make or break point.

Tucker

12. Plowboy

Plowboy

That is a nice photoshop there.

13. DrJ

DrJ

I like parts of both versions.
    I like the height of the original mock up, because the orofile fender line follows the trunk like well, and I like the way the bottm "point" flows directly into the line of the bumper/exhaust outlet.
    However I like the light standing "upright" like in the photoshop but it should retain that line flow from the bottom "point" of the light int the bumper instead of going it o it's own, then back in and out again, too many visual direction changes. On the photoshop, if the bumper was moved out a bit more the oline of the tail light could flow straight into it, or if it was lowered.

I know "we" don't care much, but,
    Functionally, the tail light will reflect mo-betta light if it is at the designed attitude to the horizon.
    (No. I don't mean it has to be canted, just the tips verticle to the ground, and the bulb reflector parallel to the road.)

Also, when you fabricate the fender extension to the light, it needs just a bit of "crown" in the top line of the fender, or it will look, well, flat. lay a straight edge on edge on the trunk, front fender, or the hood and you'll see they aren't flat flat.

14. mikes51

mikes51

More over analysis :) , or IMHO Deezign 101.

15. If the top could follow that same parabola shape, I think* it would look great.

I thought that the beltline being straight and top at stock height kinda dictated that the fender come out higher, more like a 53-54.

Where is my design theory flawed?.. I can learn something here.

*thinking is all I have to go with, I want to know why I think that way.

16. mikes51

mikes51

Nothing wrong with that concept, makes sense. That accentuates the tailight as in the finned designed cars. Put a hundred designers in a room and you get 100 different, valid designs.

17. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

IMO if you want to use those taillights they should be place further forward and without such a steep angle. Since I dont have photoshop on my computer down here, I did a version of what would happen. I think your should move the top of the lights forward about 4 inces and the bottom forward 1.5-2"

18. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Thanks for all the feedback! I didn't know you could do all that fancy photo shop shit, I'm just a hillbilly. I do appreciate all the opinions, lets keep'em coming. I'm only 26 years old and this is my first car build, so I'll take any criticism good or bad, or any ideas no matter how far fetched. I'm really into radical customs, I try to talk to as many builder-owners at the car shows, but they rarely know what is what or how it's done, or maybe they just don't want to tell. I've researched custom cars for awhile, and picked these taillights because I haven't seen anybody use them (except for Gary Choppit's purple bubble car). I want something that nobody else has, so show me the money shots I won't steal your design.

I think you're all right about the chop, maybe I should have done that first, it's hard to visualize the rest of the mods without the lid low. I just ain't got the brass to do it yet. Mostly because I can't get any clar advice on what to do with my front glass. I've been told to sink it in the cowl, to use a 50 olds glass and cut it, but how? Any info on people who really know what to do or have done it would be great.

I do think I will move the lights up to match the belt line better, but I'm not moving them in anymore. Some of the things you guys said really clicked, like repeating the same slope as the top of the fender for the bottom. The parobolic shape picture was really helpfull. Thanks again Friz!

Hey plowboy, don't let the cat out of the bag man. You already stole my naked man, and look how you screwed him up with all your loving ways. To anyone coming down to the Gayrodzz garage this weekend watch out it's a trap.

19. One more using '57 Buick-style bumper ends. Taillights rotated clockwise a bit and I chopped the top.

20. saulgoode

saulgoode
    from Houston

I really like those buick bumper ends on there. I think we have a winner.

Saulgoode

21. Tony

Tony

I really like this last photoshop pic..
    Considering how wild it really is, this give's it a nice smooth subtle look..
    look's like it belong's this way.

22. Plowboy

Plowboy

That wasn't me that stole naked man, you can have him!

Maybe this car can be a candidate for a HAMB Chop this winter. We can do it at my place since I have heat and all!

23. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

Thanks goes out to everyone that helped. 46 ford guy rocks! Thanks for the photoshop shit. I would love to be a candidate for the HAMB chop, just what I want a bunch a drunks with saws! If your going to cut into a car it might as well be mine. Plus you get to hang with the legend that is plowboy the gay! Maybe he will have his cod peice done by then.