Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pic a Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodSonny, Feb 15, 2022.

1. All of the hot air coming through the radiator lol

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worth 50 Bubba points when impressing unwashed mouthbrethers at car shows. As in "hey Bubba come look at dis one, it has a scoop on the carb".

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you asked about the air cleaner. I’m a Yblock guy, so I’d be partial to either the ‘bird air cleaner, a period correct aftermarket, or the stock one. The stock ones are out there, you could take 2 and make 1 with dual inlets. Paint it red, and only a few of us dinosaurs (and jimmysix) will know you’re lying when you say it’s the NASCAR one.

Or you could put an AOD behind the Yblock with an adapter, put a McCullogh blower on it, and use a 57 F code bonnet like I did. Save the money from the 347 stroker.

4. I don't know if I'll ever have the (dubious) pleasure of meeting you face-to-face, but if I do.... no fucking way I'll shake your hand, not knowing where it's been what it's been doing! Just sayin'...

Budget36, hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. Chrome the stock one.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. upspirate

upspirate

I like this one for that application
    [​IMG]

downlojoe33, Deuces and tr_rodder like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-2-17_3-38-27.png

Hello,

If this is the stock air cleaner, make sure you get a good filter that fits and not restricts. It will be the best overall. The other is not good. No filtering element and looks like some "rinky dink" set up. It looks like a fake Hilborn Scoop for injectors and those that run fake scoops need to re-evaluate their choices. Why run a fake scoop?

We ran plenty of different set ups for our Tri Carb 348 Impala motor. Three chrome cans did nothing and had problems in windy conditions getting everything that blew into the compartment. The louvered ones with some sort of filter also did not work as well as the stock triple carb air cleaner with a good seal and breathing for the carbs. Yes, it is large, but I chromed the top, put on some Moon Aluminum Breathers, and chromed the valve covers to give it some pizazz.

Stealth is what the factory triple carb air cleaner was and it never faltered in all of our drag racing escapades. When we went to the high elevation resort cabins during the winter, the triple air cleaners did the job on the freeway. But when we got up there, most took off their larger air cleaners to allow more breathing in thinner air. We also adjusted the carbs for top performance up in the mountains.

Jnaki

Stay with your stock air cleaner, perhaps paint it to match or…nahhh… keep it the way it came from the factory.

upload_2022-2-17_3-48-53.png
    This is not my 348, but it looks chrome on the top cover with the three wing nuts.

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. Stelling and Hellings style is the ticket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    downlojoe33 and Deuces like this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

10. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the Olds\Caddy air cleaner...
    92511925_L850_c2972859-f88c-4bcf-b1d6-eea7852408d3.jpg

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and Budget36 like this.
  11. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like that bird air cleaner

downlojoe33 likes this.
  12. Brian Penrod

Brian Penrod

Scoop, throw the stock one in the garbage!

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stellings and Hellings mushroom air cleaner.

3606E174-AA91-4959-A91E-8C4A40FD58BB.jpeg

John Lee Williamson and Deuces like this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I agree that both scoops just don't look right with the aluminum valve covers. The scoop looks lame for the reasons previously mentioned. I also don't think chrome goes well with the covers, but in my old age I have become less enamored of chrome in engine compartments. I'd look for something thats cast aluminum with some fins like some of the later model FE Fords I've seen. Of course, adding one or two more carbs is what would really look right.

Ford FE.jpg
    Not saying make it black, just something with some fins and maybe a Ford or T-Bird logo.

Then the multible carb ones......

Ford-Thunderbird-FE-V-8-406-engine--scaled.jpg

HOTRODNORSKIE and Deuces like this.
  15. 'Stock' does not go with those valve covers. No way, no how.
    There are a lot of chromed air cleaners that would work. But anything finned has to match the spacing and finish of those valve covers........ so that's another strike against the scoop.

Glad I could help before you made a huge mistake. :rolleyes:

ekimneirbo and Deuces like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! '70 or newer....

stanlow69 likes this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

I have 5.0L dual snorkel cleaner with all the ram-air duct work... It's funny Ford didn't mention it back in the mid 80s.... The one I have is from the '83 and a half version... That was the year they switched from a 2-bbl to a Holley 4-bbl carb....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go shopping for some cake pans.

19. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

The problem is... not enough carburetors!

Deuces likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cakes covers. They already have a hole in the center for the knob and a lot are stainless. I posted some a few years ago..

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, I was told there would be cake and punch? o_O

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  22. Cheeta

Cheeta

11 inch s/s 20210312_110436.jpg baking pan. $9.00 amazon