Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pic a Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodSonny, Feb 15, 2022.

1. As said, there is a Camaro missing its scoop

2. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Not a fan of scoops on a car with a hood. Hoodless or sticking out of the hood is different and would actually be functional.

The stock is okay but would look better painted a different color.

There are a ton of others that would be better than either of these.

3. I would say we need another option or two.

Deuces, guthriesmith and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Stock is better than the scoop, but something like this would be more hot roddy and period correct. IMG_2422.jpg

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search speedwaymotors.com, and others 20220216_083819.jpg 20220216_083915.jpg 20220216_084413.jpg

6. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Maybe modify the stock......something similar to @PoTaToTrUcK 's.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 9.55.34 AM.png

7. Ya can't make everybody happy so just please yourself! HRP

8. I please myself almost daily :D

9. We just needed the “none of the above” choice as several have now pointed out. I did get a good laugh out of the sock in the pants comparison when it comes to the scoop.

And, I didn’t know what this thread might even be about considering the title. Figured it might be pictures of something to clean off that elusive barn dust or something...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You never asked for option C. On this sight, you will get a direct answer. Some cool parts belong on certain cars but look like crud on others. Knowing the difference is a lifelong journey. Some people just don`t get it. And you can`t explain why. It just is. Let`s see this steering wheel you bought.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Camaros don't deserve that scoop! :eek::cool:

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Don't do the scoop. The stock housing could be made to look much better with color and some detail. If it's the finned aluminum you are wanting, go with something like Vandenplas posted. The top of your engine has a visually longish look with the finned valve covers and would look sweet with a housing with that similar look.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Take that fugly scoop, put a broom handle on it and use it for its intended purpose...To Scoop dog shit out of the yard !:D

I'm just busting your balls, but I do like the stock one or something like @Dan Hay posted would look better too. Let's see the new wheel you got.

Deuces, jimmy six and guthriesmith like this.
  14. I love scoops, but I do not feel it fits your configuration To me, scoops should be installed on a tunnel ram or blower under them. Just my 2 cents. Its your deal, do what you feel.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry that’s not a stock air cleaner unless your referencing the 1956 only NASCAR mandate for a Purolator dual quad unit. There were only 103 over-the-parts counter dual quad options made and the one for law enforcement was different. Since I own what’s in the photo I know what it’s worth.
    I have a stock “argent” air cleaner for a Holley 4000 oil bath and another one that has been modified for a paper filter cartridge and a modern carb.

16. Eeeeewww! How am I supposed to get THAT out of my mind, you rotten bastitch?!?!

Deuces, hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. williebill

williebill

Go back to Western Auto, circa 1968, any of their chrome ones will look good.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That scoop just flat does not work in that engine compartment. That just has a stuck on as an afterthought in that engine compartment.

Personally, the Hellings and Stellings style chrome air cleaner that Dan Hay showed in the first photo in post 35 works and is period correct. That's a clean look that doesn't distract from the rest of what to me is one of the prettiest engines around long with the best sounding with the right pipes.

On the other hand this finned aluminum one from CJ Pony has a simple look and compliments the valve covers. Finned air cleaner CJ Pony.jpg

19. Budget36

Budget36

Picture the gif that circulated the internet of the homeless guy standing by a dumpster in an alley.
    Smile!

Oh wait, you wanted it out of your mind, sorry.

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Well, a scoop under a hood sure couldn’t do much and neither may one in the open air. But from an asthetic stand point, sticking out of the hood, even partially means business.
    No reason to chrome the head of a bolt and hide it under a valve cover.

21. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You'll get more work done on your car/w two free hands.

Deuces, hotrodjack33 and VANDENPLAS like this.

22. You guys gotta get your minds out of the gutter !

I’m talking about Chocolate mint ice cream from baskin robins 2 scoops on a waffle cone !!

jeez you guys are perverts !!!!!

…… I do beat it like it owes me money , IF you have to know :D

23. Budget36

Budget36

Oh lord it’s hard to be humble;)

24. Seriously, I’ll buy the scoop….

Then I’ll post pictures just to piss everyone off that I don’t care what they think

Deuces, mad mikey, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  25. I like the scoop better also. Stock sucks. Bunch of restoration hoodlums around here lol. The fins on the scoop match the valve covers. You can buy them fairly cheap from speedway. Seen some cheaper on Amazon.

57 Fargo and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

Your signature makes a lot of sense now...you're probably half blind already;)

27. Budget36

Budget36

If you keep doing that....

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

Just to pull this back towards the OP, I don't like either air cleaner housing.

Way too many out there that would look better, even just the plain old chrome cover with an open filter element would look better then the two choices given.

29. Anderson

Anderson

I simply don’t understand the function of a scoop underneath a hood. It isn’t scooping anything…

Deuces likes this.