Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Phx to Detroit or, See the U.S.A.in a model A!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deescott, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Deescott

Deescott

[​IMG]
    Driving from Phx to Detroit, kinda following ol' 66, and looking for attractions, scenic drives, friendly faces we shouldn't miss. Please chime in! Coming through Memphis on way back. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. Deescott

Deescott

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Have fun you two!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a fun trip.

5. Be safe.......have fun. Keep us in the loop.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Following along. If that car is rocking... Have fun!

7. Gilmore car museum once you reach Michigan, along with the Henry Ford museum.

justabeater37, slv63 and Deescott like this.
  8. Sounds like a great trip..

Deescott and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Have a safe trip! What's the story on the Model A?

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah let's see more on the car! There is a couple good spots in Iowa/Illinois. Including the town of Pontiac that has a great Pontiac museum , wall dog museum and lots of art

11. What day will you be here in Kingman?

12. Deescott

Deescott

Thanks for the replies! The car is my 31 slant window Fordor, bought from a nice gentleman on the H.A.M.B. a couple years ago as a bone stock A, because I wanted a daily I could just treat as a normal daily driver, and because the most fun car I ever had was a phaeton. Thought I'd give another four door a chance. Drove it as a stocker and had a blast, then changed the motor to a $300 60 283, 40 rear with hydraulics all around, dropped axle, 40 steering, and kept and used all the "A" stuff I possibly could. It's a 20 footer, paint is screwed up close, somebody painted over their grinder marks and bad repairs, but it's solid and I dig it. After my next build is on the road, I'll give this one a makeover, but in the meantime it's goin to Detroit!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds great let's see some photos, and of course more photos along the way!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Sounds like a nice car. What transmission are you running?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_6468.jpg Man that thing is dead on!

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I also enjoyed Atlanta Illinois for the giant muffler man holding a hot dog and the cafe

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Deescott likes this.
  17. b-bob

b-bob

I like these stories of trips across the country, especially the scenery. So i will be watching.

lothiandon1940 and Deescott like this.
  18. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

In Illinois swing by the Pink Elephant in Livingston for an Ice cream. Then swing by Rich's Rabbit ranch in Staunton.

Deescott likes this.
  19. Deescott

Deescott

Thanks for posting the pic Tim, it's not letting me, just saying to "contact us" when I try? Hopefully get that fixed so I can post along the way.

lothiandon1940 and hotrodharry2 like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I stopped using the app a long time ago. Use your web browser on your iPhone and it'll work. Just click upload file button. Super easy and hasn't had a glitch in years.

lothiandon1940 and Deescott like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats and safe travels.

Deescott likes this.
  22. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Sounds like a great time! Will be watching for updates if you can!

Deescott likes this.
  23. the route 66 museum would be a great stop. think it was in OK if I remember correctly. Up in Edmund, OK there is a great drive in called Pop's that has good food right on or near 66. We really liked the National Cowboy Museum in OK City if you are running I40

Roothawg and Deescott like this.
  24. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Congrats,and have a great trip.

Deescott likes this.
  25. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done parts of your trip before and you should have a great time! As for RT66 I have enjoyed it the most from OKC east to St Louis. The closer you get to St Louis the harder it is to follow but that's part of the adventure. As stated earlier once you get to Mi. hit the Gilmore, and Henry Ford. Memphis is GREAT! Beale St. is a must! BB Kings place and Jerry Lee Lewis' place are my fav's. Also Sun Records and Graceland!

jrlphx and Deescott like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So ryan just posted on the front page that the already lame app is basically lamer for the moment as they fuck around with it.

My use of the mobile site hasn't changed and it still working great.

On that note PLEASE let me know if your coming threw Kansas City on your way to or from as I'd love to meet you and check out the car!

Joe Mammana and Deescott like this.
  27. Deescott

Deescott

Alright! First day went great, through Az and NM. Not in a hurry, just trying to take our time so just gonna average 400 miles a day. Hit an unexpected snowstorm outside of Springfield on the 60 after avoiding the 40 today because Albuquerque was calling for snow. So much for that! Car is doing great except for rear spring settled a lot because of all the extra weight we are carrying, (trunk, tools, some spare parts, spare, and some wedding stuff we are taking to Detroit) and is hitting rear end, and I'm just not digging on the radials I threw on for the trip. In almost 20 years of driving hot rods I've only ran bias plys. The radials are softer and take the rough roads nicer, and don't grab the lines as much, but I'm not sure I really needed them. My tires were worn, and I needed new ones for the trip, so I thought I would try radials. Oh well. I also didn't change the toe in because my test runs went great and it didn't seem like I needed to, but, with all the extra weight in the back now, it feels a lot different and wishing I would have done some miles with the weight in back and radials before I left. This car gets pushed around a lot by wind on the freeway, and might see if a toe in change will help. More tomorrow!

Attached Files:

28. What area of Detroit are you heading to ?

29. Deescott

Deescott

Guess we are staying in Gross point?? Heard it's fancy, and hitting the Hery Ford museum for sure.

lothiandon1940, slv63 and wicarnut like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You might also play with tire pressure with the new rubber and see if it gets any better. Seems these cars can act quite a lot different with a 5 pound change.

On the rear spring settling I'm wondering if some air shocks couldn't be a quick fix?

When you get to Detroit you might be able to stick a spacer above the rear pack to raise it up a bit but the air shocks seem the easiest route to me.

Keep us posted and have s good trip!

Deescott and loudbang like this.