Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photoshop request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old-Soul, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Will someone please photoshop my '53?

I'm thinking of painting the roof/wheels in midnight purple (hot rod flatz) and would like to get an idea ahead of time. Also, I'll be removing that horrible plastic-trim , as it looks terrible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks in advance! (and if you think you have an idea for a better color, please, let me know!)

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

3. deedster

deedster

Sorry I can't help you Fencepost..I wasn't aware that you had a 53 Chevy..I thought you only had 57 Fords...

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

what are you? a stalker? haha

I have one of each, working on getting my second (and third) '53/'54

the ford is my long term. I love it, but I'm more of a chevy guy.

5. deedster

deedster

The night stalker..Ha...Ha...

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I don't know how close this is?

Attached Files:

7. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

hey fencepost, here's a couple for you. I think i could have made the top/wheels darker but you may like it. The second one is just for fun because i mis-read your post at first and made the whole car midnight purple :D. Anyhow, here ya go with a "quickie".
    -ace
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

hey, thanks guys! That doesnt look to bad, acctually. I was also thinking of a real dark blue... but i change my mind on a daily basis so who knows, right?

Ace, I kinda like the pink roof... haha

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i forgot to mention that i was thinking a nice lavender pearl (not pink, lavender haha) for the roof/rims and to nose it/deck it. Wouldn't look bad either with a lighter color roof/rims but still in pearl, maybe a cream with a hint of lavender?
    -ace

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

shit, theres so many options... but what I'm capable of in my garage is pretty basic.

thanks for letting me know what it would look like without the roll-trim on there, I was thinking of putting the stock trim back on, but only halfway from the front to the back, and filling the rest of the holes.

11. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well, it's late and i'm bored so here's another option: chopped, and shaved :D sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah, the trim removed from the side is a big improvement. Might not look bad if you painted the body that midnight blue and kept the top black?

[​IMG]

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

eeewww "2 door" with short doors haha

I found a 2 door body out in the bushes, might save it of do a conversion to my car.

I was thinking about painting the body but leaving the roof... what colors do you figure? I really like green but my car doesnt seem like a green car, you know? it was originally baby-blue (only reason I know is cause thats what the doors are inside)

13. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

haha, didn't mean to make it a 2 door. hard to get that back door line to show:D i like the midnight blue idea. if you get yourself a color that's dark enought that you like, the body would look great in that color. With a dark body, colors that are light look best for the contrast on the roof, like a lavender, cream, or white. To do a simple job that looks good, the body could be painted midnight blue, leave the top black, and put some light colored pinstriping on the hood and above the headlights. The opposite is true too, if you have a light colored body, a darker roof looks best. like a pearlish lavender with a dark midnight purple roof.

this is my friend Fred's chevy that's a satin green. it has a lighter roof too for contrast. this would look good with a cream pinstripe job, or two-tone with say a light orange and cream.
    [​IMG]

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

tell your friend I dig his car!

the dash/window trim inside is a dark green, so I could go with a dark green on the outside. the trim isn't so bad but I don't want to pull the dash out and paint it.

what kind of prep should I do prior to painting? I'm pretty sure the previous owner had it splashed with dp90, with little/no prep to the old paint. should i strip is down to the old paint, rought that up and paint it or should I strip it down, re-primer it first?

I plan on using Hot Rod Flatz, or a similar low-gloss metallic

15. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

that all depends on how much paint is on the vehicle. if there aren't several coats of paint on it, best move would be to sand it down to one level, either bare or (sure some hambers won't agree) or to a paint layer. BUT depending on how much body work has been done to your car previously, taking it all the way down to bare metal could be a problem if you don't have the resources to do some "touch-up" body work. if you get it down to the original paint you could "rough" it up, shoot a few good coats of primer, wet sand, then paint. i've done this before several times and it looks good. Best is to start fresh with bare steel, but in a pinch this is a good alternative.

16. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

well, when I decide how/what I'm painting, I guess I'll just start sanding and go from there. I have some minor work to do to the rockers, as well as filling the trim holes (if I decide to do it anyways)

thanks for yor help man.

17. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

no problem. if we weren't 32 hours apart i'd give you a hand :D

let me know what you decide. i'll try and track down some more of my buddy's chevy to to give you some color ideas
    -ace

18. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

I found one more for ya
    [​IMG]

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

sick! did '54s come with that bumper? looks like a '55/'56 to me. (looks good!)

the eyebrowed lights aren't my cup of tea, but the one-pieced hood looks great. Very subtle custom touches, I dig it

20. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

yes, that's a '54 bumper (i'm 99.9% positive). The bumper guards and stuff have been removed, filled, then re-chromed. the 55's have a higher left and right "end" than the center, and the 56s have a more pronounced peak in the middle bumper. The '54s a little thinner as well. They do look very similar though. Unfortunately i think he sold that car recently and bought a couple 62/63 Buick Invictas, one convertible and one for parts. Wish i knew he was selling it :D

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

well, this is me looking for 54/55 bumpers, haha.

22. vintagered13

vintagered13

Well Now I know it's late, but how about Blue.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

goddamn it, that sure didnt help me choose haha, mind doing it blue body black roof?

what kind of wheels didja give me?

24. vintagered13

vintagered13

here ya go. The wheels were off of a 52 Chevy suburban I found. I see a lot of them on this site.

www.chevybombs.com

[​IMG]

25. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

yikes, thats a lot of blue... don't think I'll be going that way haha, thanks though.

Green you say? I dunno, green is a color that always struck me as 'hard to pull off' on cars...

26. vintagered13

vintagered13

Someone stole me lucky charms.

[​IMG]

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

like I said, takes the right ride to make green look good. Perhaps a dark green? I dunno.

I've decided to paint the body, leave the roof. I want to fill in some trim, cure some cancer in the rockers etc. Might as well make it look good after, right?

Should I shave the trim on the rocker, and run lake pipes? Half trim or no trim on the side?

28. vintagered13

vintagered13

I like the trim on the rockers, I always prefer the exhaust be hidden. But that's my personal taste. I think it makes a vehicle look more badass if you can't see what your hearing. I don't know.

The green is cool:
    [​IMG]

But I prefer the dark blue. It really says "I'll crush your nuts".
    [​IMG]

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

haha, yeah 4door cars just scream nut-crushing ability, thats for sure :p

I like the blue too, but as it was said earlier, dark and dark do little for contrast. Though I'm not to sure what difference I'd see with midnight purple and black anyways.

what about a dark silver/gunmetal color? I appreciate all the photoshopping your doing!