Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photoshop Help, Please? Paintin' The Sledsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MissPrint, Oct 29, 2008.

1. MissPrint

MissPrint

I have tried, diligently to do the photoshop thing, but I cannot for the life of me get the $@#!#$%@$%$ thing to work.

Can anyone help? We're going to start sanding/fixing/paintin' the Edsel, after Pistons-n-Paint, and I'd love some input and help.

Option #1: Silver roof, black body, silver inset

Option #2: Silver roof, charcoal grey body, silver inset

Option #3: White roof, black top, white inset, baby blue bottom.

Option #4: Anything but blue. I'm open to suggestions. Just don't want a completely blue car. Dash is baby blue; interior is crushed black velvet with zebra striped panels. Red is probably out. As is orange.

I like the tri-colour she's got right now (silver roof, primer grey top, original fading baby blue bottom), but she needs some minor body work done, and the grey primer is beginning to flake. . .so time for paint!

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS. Hope one of these three photos will do the trick. . .if not, will try to take new ones in the morn. . .Thanks again!!!

Attached Files:

2. MissPrint

MissPrint

Anyone willin' to help a lil' lady out? ;) :D

3. Some quick and dirty sketches. The difference between the black and the charcoal isn't very big, but there's a problem making a car black without making it too dark and losing the details in the photo. At least if you're doing a quick and dirty job. :D

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MissPrint

MissPrint

Thanks Kasper!!! Your time and effort is much appreciated -- gives me a much better idea, even for a quick and dirty ;)

Ok, officially hate the black/blue combo. . .nix that one completely. . .

Black & silver is growin' on me. . .but I'm open to other suggestions!

Thanks again!!

5. Black/Gun Metal Gray, Silver Metalflake on roof and in the cove on the side spears. Glossey paint.

6. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

As an Edsel owner, I really like how the tri-tone brings out the lines on your '59. The solid colors don't do it justice in my opinion...;)

7. MissPrint

MissPrint

I concur, Dangler. . .but the paint that's on her right now is. . .well. . .uh. . .once upon a time she was a good 20 footer, now she's more like a football fielder ;)

What would ya suggest for a tri-colour combo?

8. Dangler

Dangler
    from CHICO, CA

I like the tri color Kaspar put together :rolleyes:

9. MissPrint

MissPrint

I think the stark contrast between the blue and black is tooo much. . .

Not Kaspar's fault, its what I asked him to do. . .Maybe a subtler shade of grey with the blue, basically takin' the colour scheme that is there now and updatin' it, freshin' it up?

10. Squablow

Squablow

My '59 is going to be turquoise with a black roof and black insert. I'm not sure I'm hot for the tri-tone although I haven't seen one in person that was done like that.

I'm also not hot for silvers and greys as sometimes they end up looking like primer.

I've saved a couple of pictures that I'll post up. The yellow one and the red one I saved since I liked the black roof and insert as opposed to the white that everyone does. The wagon is a Mercury but that's the color my car is going to be. The green one has the white inserts which I'm not that fond of but I liked the green color.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but I figured I'd post it.

Attached Files:

11. Squablows red and black example looks great - what about something in a similar shade of metallic blue and black? The darker colours really help the chrome to "pop" and doesn´t let your eye get lost in all the fussy shapes of the metalwork.

[​IMG]

Is your car really called Audrey?

12. MissPrint

MissPrint

Ooooooooh. . . .now that I reaaaaalllllly like. . .yuuuummmmy. . .;)

Yep, her name is really Audrey. :D

13. Squablow

Squablow

Found a couple more pics I figured I'd share. One is silver and black which was something you had discussed, another is a tri-toned car with grey in it. The grey/black looks nice but I think the black goes better with a bright color. The red/black car that I posted before really gets me where it counts. I think the black will go equally well with the turquoise that's going on my car.

The tri-tone I'm just not fond of. With the right colors I could see it working but I'm not sold on it.

The medium/dark blue and black photoshop that James D posted I think works pretty well. With some wide whites and an even gloss I think it'd be just right.

Attached Files:

14. Wait...did you say "Sledsel?"
    I don't get around here much anymore....
    Has this already been covered?

15. MissPrint

MissPrint

Is this what you're refering to Richie? :D

In a post by Zeke:

16. MissPrint

MissPrint

That silver and black is a sharp combo in my book.

You're right; the tri-colour combo is a tough call. It has to, in my humble opinion, be the right one. The pic you posted I think is off. . .basically it is the reverse of what I have now (silver roof, primer grey top, baby blue bottom, white inset), and it is just too jarring to the eye.

I can't/won't go red, even tho I love that combo. I don't want to repaint my dash (which is blue).

The turquoise is going to look absolutely tits on your car! Just a bit jealous here. . .ok, freakin' GREEN with envy is more like it!

Really appreciate your input, Squablow! Thanks for helpin' out! :D

17. Yes Ma'am....
    The Sledsel was one of the "celebrities" of the early HAMB.

Oh...those were the days.....

18. I thought an Emerald green with a silver flake would look bitchin but I knew you didn't want to change the color of your dash so never mentioned it.

19. Stole the colour scheme from the Mox Miller Impala.

[​IMG]

20. MissPrint

MissPrint

WOW!

I am in love. Seriously.

I think we have a winner. . .I would LOVE to do this to the Edsel. . .

Now to talk to my paint guy. . .let's see, Round-Up is 6 months away. . .;)

James D. --THANK YOU for taking the time to do this. . .It is absolute TITS in my book. . .againg, WOW, just WOW!

21. rocketqueen

rocketqueen
    from austin, tx

Personally, I'd choose lime green and black... I am partial to those colors. ;)

22. I would love to see you do this one...James D definitely nailed it...he's got a great eye...keep us posted and start masking that sucker off and laying down some colors

23. Zeke

Zeke

I still remember that night quite well too.

24. OLLIN

OLLIN

Sorry If Im hijacking, But if anyone has a stock intake for a '58 361, please PM me. My buddy needs one to be ready for mooneyes next month!

cool car BTW. I dig the scallops!

25. Holy Shiz! Now this is what I'm talking about. For sure you'd turn some heads even at LSRU, where rad ass paint jobs run rampant. Now this is exactly what I think Audrey needs to shine. However, those wheels are a tad hilarious. :p