Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Photos taken before WW2 - history in black and white

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twin6, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jroberts

jroberts

2. jroberts

jroberts

McReynolds Studebaker Service Station in Washington, DC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

4. Jeriffic

Jeriffic
    from Chi-Town

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Drmalacarne and biggeorge like this.
  6. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

My father in 1925

7. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

8. Caddystew

Caddystew
    from East Texas

He is the one sitting on radiator

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. These are from a Friend who built this in His Pop's garage pre-war.
    Not sure where the Miller-Schofield came from though, I think a relative. "Roadster with top" Herb built the "T" roadster in lower pics.
    Herb ran the car around his home in Roscoe California. When he joined up to the Coast Guard he took the car and put it into Pop's yard/lot behind the shop. Herb did though take the motor out and crated it up, placing it under one of the work benches in the shop.
    Upon returning home, Pops handed him some money. Short version, Pops sold the motor without Herb knowing.
    Even 50 years later, when Herb tells the story, he still gets pissed about it. SCN_0001.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Joe from NY

Joe from NY

[​IMG]
    Was anyone able to tell what kind of car this is?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. DZ123

DZ123

Hi Mart3406,
    do you still have the sales brochure for the Bartlett Car? Rex Bartlett was my wife's great grandfather. I'm sure her family would be interested in it. Thanks,
    Danny

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. jroberts

jroberts

13. jroberts

jroberts

[​IMG]
    1930 Studebaker Light Six chassis with a panel body. Used by Penzoil as a promotional vehicle.

14. rudestude

rudestude

I just run across these old photos ...The one with the car and bike was taken at the bottom of my drive way in the early 20's the older guy with the mustache and hat is my great grandfather he lived in the house on the hill in the back ground, the house that I currently live in,in the photo of the bike that's my grandfather on the bike and his mother ,my great grandmother,in the sidecar..... I do not know who actually owned the bike or the car....[​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. rudestude

rudestude

This pic didn't go threw the first time so I'm trying it again...[​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. John Kimberley

John Kimberley

This is my uncle Rex Bartlett, my Grandmother's brother. Car was originally made in a small machine shop behind the Royal Eddy Hotel in Toronto, then moved to Stratford, Ontario. Rex had the first car with 4 wheel brakes. But after causing a multi vehicle accident on King St. in Toronto because he stopped too quickly the police told him never to be seen on the streets of Toronto again. He didn't renew his patent for the 4 wheel brakes and Dodge Bros. picked it up. This sales brochure is for his first year. Later models had electric lights and were self starters. He also build a large truck, biggest in Canada at the time, but again ran into trouble with the authorities because he was breaking too many bridges.

17. John Kimberley

John Kimberley

The Canadian Bartlett Automobile Company was started by my great Uncle Rex Bartlett. The first few cars were built in a small machine shop behind the Royal Edward Hotel, in Toronto. He then moved to a manufacturing plant in Stratford, Ontario. The pneumatic tires of the day would not stand up to the rough roads, and there was lots of nails on the road that had shaken out of the horse drawn wagons. Rex's solution was to move the pneumatic portion away from the road hazards and therefore had solid rubber tires and a pneumatic cushions mounted between an upper and lower chassis. These cushions were shaped like a flatten donut. Rex made the first set on crochet needles and had them vulcanized. Later these were contracted out to local women to do the crocheting in their homes. Uncle Rex tested his suspension system by renting the race track and Canadian National Exhibition grounds in Toronto. A series of wood planks were laid crossways on the track and the car driven over these. He claimed the suspension worked much better than anything else available at that time.
    Another innovation was a unique braking system. When the bakes were applied crescent shaped steel spikes would rotate out of the solid rubber tires to grip the road. This idea was soon abandoned because he was tearing up the roads. This lead to Rex having the first patent for 4 wheel brakes. The story is that his 4 wheel brake car was responsible for the first multi-vehicle accident in Canada. Rex was driving on King Street in Toronto when he jammed on the brakes. His car stopped so quickly that there were about 15 cars piled into the back of each other. Chief of police was called and he ordered Rex's car off the road. Rex did not renew the patent and the Dodge Bros. picked this up and put a warning "4 wheel brakes" on the back of their cars.
    The Bartlett car used an American engine. A LeRoi, I think. When the States entered WWI in April 1917 most of the engine manufacturing was converted to support the war effort. Rex's supply of engines dried up, and the car company was forced to declare bankruptcy.
    Rex also built a truck, the largest in the country at the time. He used axles from a Canadian Pacific Railway tender. But this also got him in trouble with the authorities because he was breaking too many bridges.

18. Quite a white since I looked at this thread. I think this is a 1926 Buick Master Brougham Touring Sedan Model 26-51.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-29_9-25-24.png
    Hello,

In March 2021, we were warned of the impending doom of heavy traffic on Coast Highway in Laguna Beach, CA. It was going to be right at the Main Beach stop light area and would cause a huge traffic nightmare for anyone. (except for locals that knew of several back roads for entrance and exiting the city.)

If anyone has ever driven on Coast Highway in the winter months, it is pleasurable and actually wonderful. The mixture of the ocean, cliffs, the homes perched above and the ambience of a coastal beach city, all make it stand out from any other city. It rivals any coastal cruising in Europe or anywhere in the world. Plus, it was right here in our So Cal backyard, accessible to anyone in the general area.

For most, it is a tourist attraction that has no barriers, except for the heavy flow of traffic on the Coast Highway on the weekends, anytime of the year. Compounding this already bottleneck is construction to improve the flow of water out to the ocean from inland drains, a necessity to keep the areas from massive flooding. So, the lanes were shut down from the photo spot in the pre war photo corner back to the famous stop light on the Main Beach.
    upload_2021-5-29_9-33-45.png
    Hotel Laguna blue arrow

We did not drive on Coast Highway during April or May, so far. But, knowing the bottleneck anytime of the year, everyone was anxious to avoid being stuck in traffic or at least battling the clogged up, stop and go movement for at least a mile downhill and uphill.

At the opposite North end of Coast Highway big dip at Main Beach is depicted by the photo below. My, how nice and empty it was back in the pre-war days.
    upload_2021-5-29_9-34-50.png
    Cliff Drive AT PCH looking at Main Beach Southward direction

a 1930’s Slant Back Sedan Parked On PCH.
    upload_2021-5-29_9-36-29.png
    In recent days, Cliff Drive at PCH near Las Brisas Restaurant and the art museum.

Jnaki

The color photos show the long steep highway down to the main beach stop light. One could imagine that despite the warnings given to millions of drivers in the south coast area, there were still people driving daily on that busy highway, even during construction in April-May.

We love the drive from the South Orange County line north to the Newport Beach area most any time of the year. It gives the old cars plenty of space to clear out the cobwebs, all while enjoying the ocean close by, as we zip to our next destination. But, this year (for the next months, at least) we will be taking the faster inland freeway routes until the jam dies down. For now, it is the destination, not the journey.

FLASH NEWS!

Cal Trans burned the midnight oil to ensure their box culvert replacement at Broadway and PCH was complete in time for the holiday weekend. YES…
    upload_2021-5-29_9-37-34.png
    Now open, but it will still take a day or two to allow drivers to get used to the flow, again. So, just wait for a week or two for the anxiety to die down for a pristine coastal view while making a nice cruise North or South.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

barney oldfield 1909.jpg
    Barney Oldfield gets ready to hill climb, photo dated 1909, Pasadena, CA

Arroyo_Seco_Parkway_1938.jpg
    Building the Arroyo Seco Parkway, supposedly the first freeway in the U.S., though I am sure that there are other claimants...photo dated 1941.

angeles crest.jpg
    The Angeles Crest highway was not for the faint-hearted in a era of mechanical brakes, no guardrails, and sharp curves. Looks like an early '30s Chevy sedan.

Lindbergh_on_September_20_1927.jpg
    Parked cars, whose owners were waiting to seen Charles Lindbergh at a parade in his honor, Los Angeles. There must have been a sign saying "expensive phaetons only" USC Digital Library.

Rain_7th_and_Hill_1938.jpg
    Rain in Los Angeles, 7th and Hill, 1938

Simons_1939.jpg
    Simon's Drive-In, 1939, maybe Culver City?

63fdsnr, jnaki, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  21. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I would love to have this car. Timeless

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  22. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Very cool

23. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Great photos being from So Cal love the history.

296ardun likes this.
  24. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Thank you Twin 6 for your postings.
    Good stuff

25. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Each year in the 60s and 70s we would take our family vacation in Laguna. We stayed at the Hotel Laguna a few times(originally built in the 1880s). A great town. Give the kids a few bucks and tell then to be back before dinner. Never had to worry a very safe town. I hope it is still the same.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    jnaki likes this.