Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Photobucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemihotrod66, Jun 11, 2020.

1. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I am kinda dumb when it comes to computer things... Can someone tell me what PhotoBucket is???? Thanks guys...

2. evintho

evintho

Nothing you want to deal with ever in your life!

3. It WAS a free website that hosted your photo's, then out of the clear blue they wanted every member to pay them 400 bucks a year and if you didn't pay they held your photo's for ransom.

Thus any photo you have posted on any website will show up as a RED X or a blurry photo with photobucket on top of the image. HRP

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Thank you....

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,

For those that are not up to date on Photobucket, HRP said it nicely. For $400 a year, you could have several HDD or SSD external hard drive on your computer and copy everything on the internet for your files. Not that it is a good idea...But, the cost of home computer file saving is a lot less expensive than several years ago when Photobucket was free.

A 2 TB external HDD with moving parts is less than $100. A 2 TB SSD with flash drive technology is more, but a lot faster in transfers. But, for those that dislike SSD formats, those HDD units are still excellent buys for the money. A WD 4 TB HDD is now below $100 and that will hold everything you can throw at it and more for years. It works even for those guys that copy every photo they can get from the internet and post them. This 4 TB has more room than ever and will not fill up for several years.

Jnaki

For most of us, a 2 TB will suffice for several years with downloading family files, written or photos, or PDF formats with ease. Tax forms, large, long movies in HD, 100 page digital real estate sale files, photos with high power digital cameras and anything that was made in HD movie format will be able to be saved to a simple 2 TB hard drive. If it speed in transferring between a laptop and external hard drive, then an SSD would be the answer. Otherwise, those HDDs are still good value for what you get.

I am on a laptop with 1TB of space, but use less than quarter to a half of that space. The other files go to a 2 TB external SSD hard drive that fits into my pocket or safe deposit box. So, the choice is yours. Anything I have mentioned is much better than any off site backup. We have been looking for another SSD external hard drive that has 4TB, but in a small physical format. The prices are a lot higher than HDD versions, but in our old age, speed is better than waiting for something to upload slowly.

Not knocking off site backups altogether, but I see where our family stuff is going and not relying on a big corporate company's off site bunker. Apple phones have a wonderful automatic backup system that saves almost everything without anyone knowing about it. The largest files do cost more money, but it is minimal for bigger file saves.

On our main office computer, there are two 4 TB backup hard drives waiting for anything that needs to be saved. They are updated bi-weekly and are the "emergency fast exit" files that have everything of value to us on them. No more lugging family photo albums or several file boxes of tax papers we need to save for 7 years. Just two lightweight portable hard drives that are near a "go" bag in the office.

Stogy likes this.
  6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

There is a way to get your photos back from bucket for free. I'll see if I can find the program. Lippy

Stogy likes this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

8. That would be nice. HRP

Stogy likes this.
  9. Photobucket was never really just a place to "store" your images. They were/are primarily an image hosting service that allowed you to link your images to web sites and forums (like the HAMB) around the world. For a number of years they offered a free version of this service that allowed you to upload your images and store them, usually at a smaller than original size, so they could be easily and quickly linked to most anywhere on the 'net. For years this basic service was free as long as the users would tolerate the advertising that appeared when you logged-in to the Photobucket site.

Not surprisingly, this business model eventually failed to provide its owners with a sufficient profit to stay afloat. So they did what most any "for profit" business would do in this situation. They decided to start charging their users for what had previously been a free service. Sadly, they were less than gracious or considerate in the way they went about this.

And yet, none of the members from the HAMB, or any other website for that matter, has decided to shovel truckloads of their own money into building, operating and maintaining their own server farm and offering everyone free image hosting services, either with or without advertisers to pay all their business expenses.

Which doesn't seem the least bit strange or unexpected to me.

49ratfink and Stogy like this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a paid subscription to Photobucket and it still sucks ass. I would cancel my subscription, but it would erase every pic from every thread I have ever posted on the HAMB. I would like to find out who is president of Photobucket and go piss on his porch.

Lately, I have been using the HAMB to host which works great, but I have to store the pics on my computer, which is why I pay Photobucket.

Random pic:

33mockup2.jpg

-Abone.

49ratfink likes this.
  11. Never had an issue with storing pictures on my computer. I guess that I don't have so many that it's a problem. Every now and then I go through the files and delete the ones I won't use anymore...

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don;t think they are wrong for charging. But I think you should be able to have a choice and be able to take your photos back or not. Not have them taken hostage. Rustydusty, I store them on my computer now also, but If you can't get them back from Photobucket to put them on your computer without paying them now....... Lippy

13. Au contraire, mon ami, hasn't Ryan done just that and offers us a free service, without advertising? HRP

Stogy likes this.
  14. 1962 dodge lancer

1962 dodge lancer
    from joliet, il

Big pain in the but !!!

49ratfink likes this.
  15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so glad I only used them to post here rather than as a storage spot. I have posted thousands of photos here and they would all be gone.

16. I store my photos on my computer. I could put them on a hard drive, but rather, when my computer has too many I put them on a DVD for access later.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Simple reply; It fucked up all the photos people posted on the HAMB

Bob

hemihotrod66 likes this.