Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photobucket

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 17, 2016.

1. I noticed this morning that several photos in my post are mia,anyone besides me having problems with PB? HRP

2. I've learned they have jacked the price up for storage and hold the photo's hostage until you pay. HRP

3. It looks like at least my most recently posted pictures linked from Photobucket are still showing up here alright. But I've only been using their free image hosting service for several years now. 2 gigs of storage and I'm still only using a little over 11% of my capacity. :rolleyes:

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I wonder what the cost would be to get 110,172 "Vintage Days Gone By" pictures out of Photo bucket purgatory ?

A LOT !

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Back in 2011 when the "Vintage Shots" thread was really hot,
    My $29 "unlimited bandwidth" photobucket account was causing the folks at photobucket to take notice and more importantly, wonder how the heck I was using 250 gigabytes of bandwidth and garnering 4 to 5 million views every single month.

It all came to a head when my account peaked about 18 months after this
    screenshot was taken.

BUCKET VIEWS NOV 01.jpg

In 2013 we were getting 12 to 15 million views per month based on the ~12,000 photos
    that I had 'upped' into the account and linked into several threads on the net including a few here on the HAMB.

..I remember using just over a terrabyte of photobucket's bandwidth in
    each of the months of June and July 2013 and that's when photobucket cut me back.

Apparently I exceeded the limits of "Unlimited" so badly and for so many months in a row that they had to revise the rules.
    Their explanation was that when photobucket had come up with a price/scale, they never once thought that anybody would truly exceed 100 gigabytes a month -hence unlimited.
    -and here, between the the viewers at the HAMB and a few other key www forums,
    we were doing 5 or 10 times that for almost a year straight with no end in site.

In the 3rd or 4th year of my $29 subscription, pics started disappearing and many times they were cutting my bandwidth off after just
    8 or 10 days into the month's billable/cycle.
    And it got worse. I would come to visit or post new pics on one of the forums and the links wouldn't work.
    ..I could still add/upload all the pics I wanted to my account but it became futile to try and link to them anywhere including here on the HAMB.
    It was worse than being stopped dead, it was like being pushed backwards with my foot still firmly pressed to the floorboards.

But honestly, I really was impressed with their website and it's ability to deliver without fail.
    Up until that point, Photobucket had never lost/blocked a single one of the ~12,000 pictures or misplaced a single link.
    after that, they started wanting even more money.

:(

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. moefuzz

moefuzz

A few years ago I made a concerted effort to archive all the pics from the "Vintage Shots" thread.
    -There are 2 or 3 different programs out there that will help/allow a person to
    download pictures off a website or even the entire website.
    There's even a program that allows you to insert the forum thread at message 1 page 1 and download every pic from every post of every page up until the thread ends.
    -I used that program to download the entire MSN Flathead Forum (2001 - 2008) several years ago in order to preserve -verbatim- the years of info/threads/tech before MSN closed down forcing us to move.

In 2015 I archived about 95,000 pics from the Vintage Shots thread (~16 gigabytes) .
    Not sure what they are good for but they don't wiegh much or slow me down
    so I guess they'll stay.

vintage00003.jpg

7. Geez... :( Now I kind of feel like a slacker. :rolleyes:

8. Back when I first joined I was told star boulevard was a good site but they took a nosedive and lost a ton of photos. HRP

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yeah, I tried other photo hosting sites including Flickr but even before I had a ton of pics or links, Flickr was regularly showing me the empty "ooops" frame on the forums, they kept loosing track of my content.
    Photobucket seems really reliable and you can open multiple accounts;)