Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Photobucket pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1ton, Sep 2, 2019.

1. 1ton

1ton

Of course we live for the great pictures that are on here, but submitting a pic with PHOTOBUCKET plastered across it is not right. I'd rather have no picture then one that is obscured by that logo.

2. squirrel

squirrel

You might want to read up on the history of Photobucket. It's likely that the pictures that have the watermark, that you are talking about, did not have a watermark when they were originally posted. But Photobucket changed their terms of service, and one of the changes (after they tried extortion) was to put their name on all the photos they host.

It's never been a good idea to depend on a third party to do stuff for you for free....

bedwards, Jokester, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. 1ton

1ton

I suspect that photobucket is very proud of the service they provide by screwing up good pics so they wont be copied.

4. Many of us used photobucket back when the Hamb didn't have a album for members, photobucket decided to hold the members photos for ransom and wanted extortionate amount of money to use your photo's that didn't own.

Most of the threads that had photobucket images comes up with red X's but some photo's still appear with the (host,store, share photobucket) watermark.

I lost hundreds of photo's to their greedy scheme, they started out wanting a huge amout to release the photo's as a 3rd party host and from what I have heard they fianlly lowered the yearly membership but the damage was done with many users.

I made this image as a jab at photo bucket. HRP

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Deuces, BigO and 3 others like this.

5. 1ton

1ton

Wow, I had no idea.

6. BTW, If a member pays their yearly subscription fees the photo's don't have the watermark. HRP

7. leon bee

leon bee

Those sons a bitches. I got about 5 pages of old photos over there I didn't get out when I maybe could have. Now I can't see them, they're holding them for ransom.

8. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Sometimes there are pictures posted with huge "P"s all over the photo. Is this the same?

And not to hi-jack the conversation, I dislike it when I see pictures with "Getty Images" right in front of the cars.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Please help me, I think I am missing something. I store all of my photos full size on my desktop MAC using the software that came with the computer (Photos). I have a constant backup running. I have a separate library in Photos to keep my hobby photos separate from my family photos. I have a couple of albums within my library to make photos easier to find. When I want to post I export a photo(s) at reduced size to my desktop for posting on HAMB. I find Ryan’s software easy to use for posting. I assume that the photos will be there as long as HAMB is functioning. Now to where I need help, what, if any, is the upside to using Photobucket as a hosting site compared to what I am currently doing? I can’t see any. What is the downside? I remember Photobucet’s extortion attempt of a couple of years ago. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Now we are asked to live with their logo plastered over the photos. I am sure we will soon see a day when Photobucket decides to reduce the resolution of the photos they are storing and we will be going through another extortion attempt. In all fairness Photobucket is a business and businesses need to make money. It is just that the product of their business is not something I feel I need (unless I am missing something).

Charlie Stephens

jvo, jnaki and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

The problem is that some folks trusted photobucket to keep their images, and didn't keep their own personal backup copies of the images.

I guess it's hard for some to understand how important it is to manage your own computer files, and backup copies of those files, if you expect to have them around in the future.

bedwards, H380, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  11. SR100

SR100

The huge 'P's are the watermark for the Petersen archive. Like the pics with the Getty watermark (and unlike most of the P-Bucket images), the watermark was there when the poster found it online.

quick85, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will post images with the company bugs on them ie Getty images. Many times the use while they are unattractive accompaniments are necessary for copyright.

I certainly in the big scheme of things try to find material without these markers but when push comes to shove the content far outweighs the copyright bugs applied over Zero posting in my books...

The other things that a member can do and Some Do is Go through their threads and replace them with good originals if possible and I am fully aware that is a challenging shitty experience especially if you don't have copies.

Sorry you would prefer to see nothing rather than the history beyond the Company Bugs...I do get it...it's their content we are fortunate to be able to find this content at all.

Photobucket, Getty, and Peterson are league's apart in their types of content, how they apply the Logos and then there are all the others Smaller Publishers that have Similar Rights to Ownership...Sucks but it's a legality.

I chose again to look beyond and personally I'd rather see an image...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

On another note...... Google ain't what it used to be.... Seems like Pinterest took them over.... Or sometimes you can't even download a picture from the net.... It's like your blocked from doing so.... It just pisses me off..... :mad::mad::mad:

loudbang likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

If you can get the image to show up on your computer screen, you should be able to take a screen shot (use the Print Screen key), and then crop it, and there you go....

Deuces and jnaki like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

All I have is a cell phone.... :(

16. evintho

evintho

Once the PB extortion happened, I downloaded all 3000 pics I had on their site back to my laptop one at a time. Took forever! Cancelled the $25 per year recurring payment to PB (which I thought was fair), bought a $50 external hard drive and transferred all my pics to it. Now I use Imgur to host my pics. It's free (so far) and simple to use.

bedwards, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. gatz

gatz

'want basic editable screen shots on a Windows platform ?... try FastStone Image Viewer
    I have all originals of any pics I've posted so no big loss.
    But, it's just the idea of Photobucket holding pictures ransom so a person had a hard time getting them back off safely or unmarked as some have indicated. Seems illegal.
    I've since been using Google Photos & Google Drive for pics & videos. Hope they don't to start charging.

18. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

I yanked everything out of PB long ago when they started this crap. Got a different problem though - I paid Flickr for unlimited photo hosting, and two months later they changed their login system in a way that users of older browsers can't log in anymore. Guess who's still using good old steady untroublesome Windows XP? :mad: Thanks loads. At least all the photos I posted in the Vintage Shots thread are still there...

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. For those of you with a MAC you can copy the entire screen by pressing "command, shift, 3" at one time. If you just want a small area of the screen press "command, shift, 4" at one time and a target symbol will appear allowing you to identify the area you want to print. The image will appear on your desktop and can be transferred to "Photos" (the program that comes with MAC computers) and manipulated just like a JPG photo.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    rusty valley likes this.
  20. gatz

gatz

@Chrisbcritter
    have you considered using another browser on your XP ?
    I've been using Mozilla Firefox trouble free for years now. It has a lot of features that Windows IE never thought of. Combined with gmail, it's great.

IDK, but Firefox may allow you to log in to Flickr

loudbang likes this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I fell like I am reading a foreign language on here. I just upload the scans to my computer and back it up on a memory stick.

s55mercury66, loudbang and quick85 like this.
  22. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Hi Gatz, I had Firefox for many years until it got very glitchy and was constantly freezing, so I removed it and stuck with Chrome.
    I have access to another machine running Windows 7; maybe I'll copy the photos I want to add to Flickr onto a thumb drive and see if I can log in on that one.

23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Guys, do yourselves a favor and get your photos onto compact discs. If you don't know how,
    ask someone (a friend, relative or small kid down the street). They'll be there for you to view
    without hassle anytime you want and you can have a print (or prints) made easily at your local
    Walgreens. Don't leave your photos to storage sites alone.

You can also go to Walgreens with your old prints, have them scanned and transferred to
    a cd. Then you can edit to your hearts content when and if you get the urge. You don't
    necessarily have to have things done online. The folks at Walgreens can easily guide you.
    What's yours stays yours and you're not at the mercy of some online business.

Occasionally here on the HAMB I'll run across an old school photo that grabs me. It'll usually
    be old, faded or damaged in some way. I find myself trying to bring these photos back to life
    and post the edited shots here. I don't do it out of disrespect to the owner but instead to make
    it more pleasing to look at and possibly print. I don't keep them for myself.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    loudbang and Chrisbcritter like this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Ias going through the thread on Bombs and Lowriders today. Now an occasional PB watermark I can handle but that thread is riddled with them and it pisses me off big time! Extortionists for sure. And when can one party to a contract simply change the rules? I guess we all have to read the fine print!

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I just got curious as I haven't gone into my Photobucket account for a good eight years. My
    pics are still there, about seven pages worth, but I don't need to use this account at all so I've
    thought about clearing it out. They have a FAQ section that might be of help to some of you
    who believe you've lost your pics to PB. They say you can download your pics back to your
    phone (and maybe your computer) but it would be at one photo at a time.

leon bee likes this.
  26. leon bee

leon bee

I need to go check again, maybe try harder. They were telling me I need to pay to get them. Not unreasonable, but nobody said shit about that back then. I didn't have anything I can't live without, mostly motorcycles I've put back on the road and passed along.

For some of those wondering, many forums- all the motorcycle forums- you couldn't just post a pic from your computer to the site. Still can't, have to use a photo hosting site. I don't know how long that's been possible here, but it sure is nice.

That Photobucket deal completely fucked all the bike boards, and a lot of others as well.

27. loudbang

loudbang

For those wanting to save photos you can see on your screen but can't download there is a program in windows called
    "snipping tool".

Just go to your start menu then "All Programs" in all programs just look for "accessories" in there look for "snipping tool" and click on it. Once you use it it will show up on the start menu.

Very easy to use and you can just outline what you want in the photo or the whole thing and save it to whatever file you want.

Ned Ludd and Stogy like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all I had on Photobucket were HAMB pics. I'm going to look and see if any old ones are here.

loudbang likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2006 was all X's, 2008 2009 was X's and photos ruined by Photobucket. I always kept originals on my computer and other devices. I'm surprised they are still in Photobuckets files.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So technically you and only you could edit your posts to reintroduce a non Photobucket labelled pic and or redx...and that is much easier said than done especially if you have loaded many pics...