Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo hosting problem (Photobucket)

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 3, 2017.

1. I have used Photobucket for years but they have gone crazy with their charges,I fear all the photos I have ever posted will disappear shortly,what are you guys using? HRP

2. Mart

Mart

It's a disaster.

Most of my tech posts and project write ups have lost most of the pics.

The site will have massive holes in it.

Mart.

Morrisman likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

From here out, post directly to the forum. Years ago when i joined and there were less than 6000 members, bandwidth was expensive and a hosting site was necessary. Even when the Hamb got the ability to host pictures, it was courtesy to use a host to save bandwidth.

But now its so much cheaper, and its pictures that drive traffic to a site, so photo hosting is an unnecessary extra step. When issues do arrive, the forum can only save whats posted directly to the forum, in most cases.

Hosting sites are charging now because they're dying off, they're not relevant anymore.

As for preserving old, previously hosted pictures, im not sure theres much that can be done.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Danny, I am in the process of switching my stuff over to flickr. On some other boards I'm on, many guys pics have been locked by photobucket, they no longer allow hot linking unless you pay them to host your pics. I am downloading my albums back to my PC, and when I figure out how, will upload them back to flickr. I've got some pics over 10 years old that were on other computers I no longer have.

5. All my pics go to SmugMug. Standard account is free, premium stage 1 is 8 bucks a month. No ads, completely customizable. Love it. I believe you can download your Photobucket pictures in complete albums if you have it organized that way. Then re-upload to a different site then cancel your account on Photobucket

6. Be Careful.

I started trying to download my captive photos and it seem dea old photobucket has a virus attached to the photos now,I spent all say yesterday trying to correct the problem and finially had to re-install windows and lost everything on my computer ,it's not worth it. :mad: HRP

7. If this is true it sounds like time for a class action law suit

8. Mart

Mart

Like Squablow said, I always hosted elsewhere as a matter of courtesy. If it's no longer relevant, I'll post directly to the forum.

I can't see me replacing all the lost links, though, it would take ages.

Mart.

hotrodfil likes this.
  9. I was concerned about band width in the past,this is the second time I have lost a host site,in the early days star boulevard was a popular site,then photobucket.

I also have a Fotki site,,heck I'm concerned about all of them now.

My future Hamb worthy images will be uploaded to my albums here. HRP

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Squablow likes this.
  10. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Yes, I have a few build threads and hundreds and hundreds of pics here, all gone now. To go through and replace all the pics would be damn near impossible.

Still, when Photofucket are bankrupt they will hopefully realise why!

Bam.inc likes this.
  11. Koz

Koz

I have most of my pics duplicated on my computer. How can I post directly from my computer?

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Square next to the post reply is upload a file.

Just make sure your photo is saved in JPEG style and reduce the size to approx. 800x600 pixels and you should be good to go.

13. Koz

Koz

14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Thousands of lost pics on Good Ol' threads... I agree with Morrisman's comments on PhotoPhucket.
    Total loss of some really good threads. Maybe a few OP's will get bored enough this winter to just post some pictures directly to update a photo history of some really good threads.

15. silent rick

silent rick

is there a tutorial on how to reduce photo size?

16. I just right click and hit edit. Should be a resize button on the top tool bar. This is for ones stored on your PC, "My Photos" etc.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yep

18. silent rick

silent rick

19. I was able to save a lot of photos,but I can;t seem to down load any albums now. HRP