Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo album ---Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by twochops, May 8, 2006.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Not sure if it's done yet but this car is/was in the process of being restored. In my eye it's one of the best looking chopped Mercs ever and I'd like to see it again.

2. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

Rikster posted this picture of a Barris built '46-'48 Ford on another thread, but if anyone has more shots or info that would be awesome.

Attached Files:

3. Rikster

Rikster

No its not done yet.
    Justin Mozart is the new owner and the car did debut (again) at the Sacramento Autorama Merc Gathering. The car appeared there with no engine, dash, interior and many other unfinished things.
    The car was restored back to its later Barris Version... and even though it looked fantastic. I had hoped the owner would have gone back to its lime gold Ayala version as how it grazed the 1952 Hop Up Cover. We have so few Ayala custom cars left today.
    It was however a great experience to be able to walk around it and see this milestone custom up close.

Here it is how it appeared in Sacramento.

[​IMG]

And here is a scan of the original color slide used for the Hop Up cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the photo from the Life Magazine collection how it looked after Barris redid it in deep purple with two more grille teeth and a full custom interior...

[​IMG]

4. Rikster

Rikster

Some have been seen before.
    Photos from Nick Maneri...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Local custom, about 1985.-MIKE

6. twochops

twochops

Now that this thread has gotten BACK on the GOOD Kustoms again
    This color photo of Sam Barris Merc will feel more in place.Please no more ugly ones.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Rikster

Rikster

from the Barry Mazza Collection.

Aztec...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sam's latest custom he built. The Elcapitola.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Junior Conway's Shoebox at the Barris shop with a freshly plated rear bumper.

[​IMG]

8. TomWar

TomWar

Just thought I would share this picture I took yesterday of Barry Mazza's Aztec, sitting in front of my shop.

Attached Files:

BigO likes this.
  9. twochops

twochops

Lil Dean Jeffries------Tell us more about this clone that Winfield is
    building for you,or is he restoring his old kustom for you?--TwoChops
    ----[​IMG]-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. Rikster

Rikster

And the original "Solar Scene" built by Gene Winfield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rytang likes this.
  11. twochops

twochops

I'm talking about a clone

Attached Files:

12. Rikster

Rikster

I know!... but some might not know cloned from which original custom!

13. Hey Mack , If not Miss San Pedro which car is that? I read you were talkin about it had Texas plates on it? Do you have any shots of that? In the pic that I saw I couldnt see the plates.

14. Even though the Wally Welch merc is not my favorite,this is one of my alltime favorite car show pictures. What a Great Shot!!!!!!

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Looks like he's giving her a pat on the hip.

BigO likes this.
  16. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

this is an awesome thread

17. WOW ! The photo of the Wally Welch merc at the motorama in November of 1951 puts a whole new twist on earliest chopped merc mystery..... We saw Quesnels unchopped and not finished with 51 plates on it and the earliest photos of the Bettencourt merc(when it was in gold) it had 52tags on the 51 plates. Hey Rik are you positive that the picture of Wally's merc was in 1951?????

18. Rikster

Rikster

Hi Jeff, not sure where you have read 1951???

The black and white photo of the Wally Welch Mercury (Barris Version in Deep Purple) was taken in May 1952 (according the Life Magazine site).
    The Hop Up magazine is also from April 1952. But of coarse the photo and the magazine lay-out and printing was done month before that.

19. I think he is refering to the first black and white picture you posted of it that has the writing on it saying 1951 Autorama.

I would assume that the writing is original and therefore correct as it gives the exact dates the show took place. Definitley interesting. Wonder if the Ayalas were doing this car at the same time as the Bettancourt merc? Both originally in a similar color. Also if the Life magazine shot was from May of '52 and the Autorama was in November of '51 you would think think Wally would have driven it for more than 5-6 months before completely repainting it. No? So one would think it would have been on the streets by the early fall of '51? The mystery deepens.:D

20. Rikster

Rikster

Of coarse he is... missed that completely.

I think the writing is original... But in the Rodder's Journal issue 39 Pat Ganahl mentioned that a similar photo of the Welch Merc taken at the same show (same setting) is taken in 1953.

The black and white photo with the writing has a clear date on it, plus the sign on the right has the Motor Trend October 1951 issue showing (the one with the Ayala staged photo on the cover. I dont think they would show that 1951 Magazine in 1953.. it would have been old news.

Also the Live Magazine photo is dated 1952. So I really think the Ayala version Black and white photo is taken in 1951.

The Ayala built Louis Bettancourt Mercury is on the cover of the 1952 Motorama cover.

[​IMG]

So my guess is that these cars where built around the same time. But the Bettancourt Mercury must have taken way longer to built, since its much more extreme than the Wally Welch Mercury.

21. Right on the picture on this thread , the carshow one, it says 1951 motorama.

22. Well let me say this...... Some time ago I was talking to this old timer and he told me that Wallys Merc was the first to hit the streets of Los Angeles that was chopped and shaved up. I always kind of disreguarded what that guy told me,since Wally had a 50 and Jerry,Sam,Louie all had 49's. The cat told me Wally was the one who bought it BRANDNEW and sliced it right away.Might be true sice we all know Wallys family had more money than any of the other guys. (hints the last name.) Interesting point I thought of (if I dont say so myself) LOL!!!

23. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I first saw that picture 10 years ago and there are now a few differently cropped photos on the net.The pic i saw of it was one that Pat Orsillo had back in New jersey and was much clearer. Ive been fascinated with that car ever since and dont know which one it is. I know it isnt the Bugarin car. Look at the rear 3/4 view and compare the roof heights and shape of the 1/4 windows. The Bugarin car has a lower roof and the 1/4 window comes down to a a sharper tapor. Stare at both for 5 minutes. If you look at the primer merc in the photo, you can see that the car didnt have a curved Mantranga styled ,Hirohata window frame or a vertical one.It appears that there was a slight slant to it.....plus it was sittin there with texas plates.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Hi Jeff... not sure if we will ever find out who's 49-50 Merc was done first.
    Few facts remain.. not that it says much.
    Sam's Merc was on the cover of Motor Trend December 1951
    Jerry Quesnel's Merc was on the cover of Hop Up March 1952
    Louis Bettancourt Merc was in the Dan Post Blue book in 1952 (month?)
    Buddy Alcorn Merc was also in the same Blue book, but was unfinished
    Wally Welch Merc was on the cover of Hop Up April 1952

And now to get back on track.. here is a photo of George Barris cutting the top of Jerry Quesnel's 1949 Merc.. or was it Sam's... eh wait a minute George cutting?

Barry Mazza Collection...

[​IMG]

25. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Sam always seems to have the dirtiest work clothes.

26. I love this picture! Jerry told me all about this one. Jerrys merc I beleive,grill treatment ,antenna was already gone and the location of spotlights.Great photo,one of my favorites.

27. Rikster

Rikster

Yes, Jerry's Merc for sure... That was something we found out after the Marcia Campbell book in Sacramento.

Here is Sam welding the top back on Jerry's Merc.
    Barry Mazza photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is one from Sam's Merc with the hood corners rounded. Something that was reversed back to stock when John Mumford had it restored at Brizio.

[​IMG]

And Lincoln Pushbuttons in reshaped openings!!!

[​IMG]

28. Hey 00 I wasnt doubting you,I just wanted to know about that other merc.

29. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Oh believe me....I look and cant fathom that it isnt one of the two cars. That means that there was some mystery wonder merc ridin around that remained completely unpublicized!Doesnt sit well with me either! LOL Take a look and tell me what ya think when ya compare both roofs.

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey Rik, Im sure Ive told ya that those scoops on the doors of the Barris Merc along with many of the original modifications on the Drivin Deuces cars were designed by Harry Bradley when he hung out with the club. You should see the collection of Harry Bradley artwork that Jersey striper, Mr J has of all their cars!s