Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Philly Area '40 Chevy Street Rod/former Mr. Irish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphthe3rd, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Hey Guys, I'm searching for pix of a Street Rod from the Philly area, that used to be a Former Gasser Drag Car from South Plainfield N.J.
    The car is said to be painted Purple now, and is a customized '40 Chevy Coupe with the rear quarter windows filled in.
    Here is an early 1971'sh pic of the car I'm looking for....
    [​IMG]
    Of course the car probably looks alot different today in Street trim, and was even changed a bit later in it's Drag Race Career.
    Any info- ESPECIALLY PIX of this car, either as a Purple Street Rod, or early Drag/Gasser pix would be highly appreciated, thanks !
    Here's a couple of shots taken around 1976....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. WOW ! New Threads Sure do get buried FAST on this Forum *sighs* .
    Too bad they don't have several sub-topic categories to separate different topics.
    Anyway, any Street Rodders from the Philly area know about the '40 Chevy Coupe I'm asking about above ?

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I really don't know where this car is but I can tell you one thing I think it kind of looks neat with the window filled in. Cheap mans Willys look! Good luck
    Jay

4. Bump -for exposure...

5. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

6. CHOP36

CHOP36

Do You have any more info about what years it was in area,I never seen or heard of it.I will ask other Phila Modifiers about it.I remember one for sale a few years ago that was chopped that was in south Jersey for sale.

7. The former Mr. Irish/ '40 Chevy Gasser, was owned by R & C Auto Body(of South Plainfield N.J.) from the Late 60's until around 1980. It was Built into Mr. Irish around 1970 (first pic), although I remember it sitting, before it became Mr. Irish, and although a stripped Hulk of a '40 Chevy Coupe, it did have an old fashioned Roll Bar inside, which makes me think it was a Drag car (Gasser) prior to R & C owning it.

My latest info and History on the car came today from a fellow forum member(Roy), who was the one who took the For Sale pix.... he writes :
    "...then it was in north plainfield nj -(owned)by a guy named bear he converted to a street rod, he painted it white took the straight axle out put a rack in it, it had a grille made out of a shopping cart he stole from acme in north plfd around mid 80 s he was a plainfield fireman, he passed in the late 90s and I never seen the car again, about 4 or 5 years ago this other guy(George) from toms river nj was looking for info on car and I sent that picture to him, he thought he found that car in philly...."

8. Bump..... for New Viewers. Somebody has GOT to have recent info or Pix of this car....

9. I'm still looking for Street Rod pix of this car, but here are some mid 1970's pix...

FYI- I just found and ordered -these Awesome Action pix from back in the day, from the original Track Photog...Steve Bell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]