Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phenolic carburetor spacer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gizzy, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Having a little trouble with my 283 starting a little hard after she warms up.I'm thinking maybe I need a PHENOLIC CARBURETOR SPACER.Are they all pretty much the same or is there a difference in them.I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.I see $30 from big suppliers & cheap ones on fleabay .What say you guys?

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Most are pretty much the same,they help keep heat from the carb,I would suggest a four hole version. ROY.

3. Forty61

Forty61
    from DFW

I picked a cheap one up from PepBoys for an old project, actually worked real well!

4. terryble

terryble
    from canada

stock 283 motors run heat directly to the bottom of the carb if you are running a stock intake you cant use a phenolic spacer.

5. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I've got an aluminum Weiand.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

You can usually get one at any auto parts store. I like and always run them becuase they keep your carb from getting too hot. Never had any problems.

7. I run one on my SBF, solved a lot of little problems, mainly starting when the motors hot!

8. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Yep...that's my issue too.:mad:

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Another thing you can do that does help...
    Go by a piece of aluminum, make it about 2" an all sides larger thAn the carburetor. Cut out the center hole, the four hold down holes, maybe some linkage clearance and put it just under the carb., on top of your new phenolic spacer.
    GM did this starting back in the late 60's for many years to follow on their HP cars (Z-28, LT-1, ZL-1, etc.). Many aftermarket companies followed.

It does two things, it acts like a radiator. Like the fins on a Harley engine. And two, it directly forces the hot air from the manifold a little farther away from the carb. This keeps a little more direct heat out of the carburetor.

Mike

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I do not have any issue's but was kickin around doing this.

I was in a recent discussion with an engineer regarding this new fuel. He mentioned many of todays fuel issues are as a result of higher ethanol percentages which decreases boiling point. Kinda like a radiator cap to the boiling point of antifreeze, the same holds for todays fuel and injected cars. The fuel in injected cars is under pressure. So the volatility rate is thrown out. Leaving us carb guys in the group of forgotten.... SO the carbs have the problems, but fuel injected don't...

HE had said, even tin foil wrapped around the fuel line from the pump to the carb is helpful. Anything to reduce heat.

11. indyjps

indyjps

How's you fuel line routed? The carb spacer may help, but take a look at the rest of the fuel system for heat sink sources.

12. stimpy

stimpy

we used to take a peice of ash or fine grained hardwood about 1" thick and make our own spacer then varnish them real good ( ussually let them soak in varnish overnite , then let them dry , never had problem with vapor lock , and we could match the manifold or bores better .

13. Check out this guy www.coolcarb.com I saw them at the Street Rod Nats and they were really nice.