Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pharoahs Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Post Apocalyptic Kustoms, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

[​IMG]

I like how they clone even has the crease in the bottom part of the passenger door like the original! It's nice to see it isn't a super straight and shiney clone of a car that never was that way.

I'd say as far as the wide whites and skits, both seemed too be "out" even more than the car would have been by 1962 as the year in the movie is supposed to be. As far as the lowering.....they called themselves "low riders", so it seems REALLY dumb that the car wasn't lowered!!!

Stogy likes this.
  2. The roof was lowered... :D:D:D

Stogy likes this.
  3. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    firemangordy likes this.
  4. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Yeah, and from the pics, it seems its a completely different, and better looking, top chop all together.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember reading a story back in the 70s about the AG cars and according to the story (I don't remember everything, but I remember this part) where they (Lucas, etc.....etc...) bought a stock Merc and Lucas wanted the top chopped but didn't want to spend the money for a "top quality" chop so they decided on a crude chop and they just chopped away, even the back window is chopped instead of being "laid down".
    So, basically, the Merc was a rush job to get it ready for the movie.

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

from post 31

From an article in Street Rodder, May 1976.
    The Merc was built strickly as a movie prop. Henry Travers found it in a spectators lot at a stock car track near Sonoma in completely original form-right down to the wheelcovers and whitewalls. After purchase it was delivered to Close and Orlandi's where it was immediately transformed into a custom. The top chop actually isn't bad for a "quickie". Other custom touches included shaving the hood,trunk, and doors,frenching the headlights,and creating a one-bar grille-all within a couple week. The engine and drive train were left stock.
    In broad daylight the chopped 51 Merc looks like a movie star without her makeup. Built in two weeks,body mods include severly chopped top(no drip rails,rear window lowered into the package tray),dechroming,frenched lights,peaked hood,custom grille. Rest is stock.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Ever driven in Modesto? Maybe the streets were so bad in the 50's that they couldn't lower their cars.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FonzMerc.jpg

https://www.mecum.com/lots/WA0615-215171/1951-mercury-coupe-deluxe/

:rolleyes:...I liked the Merc as it was presented warts and all...no doubt there's been plenty of less than steller Mercs gracing the scene and looked the part even if there was toilet paper dragging out the door seams...

I did a modest going over this Hamb friendly as is Movie prop and surely some will like and some will hate so all is normal...enjoy...;)

Brian Setzer was said to have once owned it and looks like he had it brought back down to earth and had other things done to make a more presentable Custom to those that couldn't stand Hollywood's rendition...It looked good too...Maybe he did some work but then there's the Roth connection...neato...

[​IMG]

https://kipsamericangraffiti.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-cars-pharaohs-51-merc.html

Quoted from a Blog at the link above...

"At some point, custom car designer/builder & artist, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth acquired the car, and spruced up it's appearance and then it wound up in the hands of the amazing Rockabilly singer & guitarist, Brian Setzer of The Stray Cats & Brian Setzer Orchestra fame."

Anyone confirm that as in this Thread it is not mentioned?

So minus the Skirts it seems Ed did what @Bad Bob was suggesting...Setzer did sell the Car saying it was albiet more presentable visually it was still a movie prop aka very crude in many aspects...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Sancho, Baron, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  9. The current owner contacted Slddnmatt to restore it, but wasn't sure if he wanted it back to movie style of change it. I told Matt not to touch it, unless he wanted it back to the way it was in the movie(maybe lowered though, :) )

Sancho and Stogy like this.