Register now to get rid of these ads!

petronix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldflake, Aug 18, 2008.

1. goldflake

goldflake

I just installed a petronix in my stock distributer and man what a differance. my points went out after about 500 miles and i check the h.a.m.b regarding the petronix and got mixed reviews, mostly good though. And WOW is all i have to say...anyone that was thinking about doing it, DO IT. I feel like the motors got more life....anyways thanks for all the info and help from this site......

2. slammed

slammed

I'm next for one of those update's. Glad to hear of your positive feed-back.

3. goldflake

goldflake

The cool part is that it took about 15 mins and when i fired her up i could hear the differance...I also replaced the plugs...but im sold on petronix...

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this was one of the first changes I made when I bought the T. I have never had any problems with the unit and the car runs great........score another positive vote

5. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

I went with Pertronix on my Buick. Runs great and they're not that expensive....even keep a spare in the trunk just in case.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I smoked the Pertronix in the Merc yesterday after maybe 5 hours of total run time.

Quite the mystery...I wired it like all the others I have done and used the Pertronix 6 ohm coil, should have lasted forever, just didn't.

I'm sure mine is not the norm as these things usuall work great.

-Abone.

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I went with a Crane Cam XRi, no problems and I never looked back. Think that's been about 3 years now.

8. goldflake

goldflake

I think Im going to get another one to hold onto as a back up, I will nerver use points again though ..lol

9. goldflake

goldflake

oh yea i also put in the flame thrower coil with no balist resistor.......

10. Did you call PerTronix on it? Marvin there really knows his shit when it comes to problems :)

11. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Almost always the first thing I do to a car when I get it.

12. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Ditto on Pertronix, good gear.

13. unibody

unibody

I just put Petronix and their coil in my galaxie and it made a huge difference and you keep the old school look with the distributor.

14. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

o yea petronix is great its so easy to hook up and it just fired up first try and help my motor a bunch

15. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

I definately agree with all of you guys. I have pertronix on two of my cars and it made a huge difference and I love it. Definately worth the money.

16. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Ditto!

17. goldflake

goldflake

yea it does keep that old school look with new school performance!!!!!!

18. teddyp

teddyp

i have it in my ford and caddy best thing i ever did

19. Im sold on it to, Im even taking the duraspark out of the 401 in my jeep because of the fact it works so well, hardly any wiring and if it fails, just plop the points back in and go. Way easy.

Brad

20. oldsman71

oldsman71

cool little units,ive had one a while back in my ford it worked good!!!!

21. 1929rats

1929rats

my hot rods have the petronix treatment. I swear by it and dont ever want to fuck around with points again (one time I even had a dual point dist. on a street driven car----what a FREAK I was......) ANYWAY........firm believer! Just MAKE SURE to use the coil they recommend.

22. Flatman

Flatman

I smoked one in 2 hours running time, but that's the way with electronics. If you get past the 3 hour mark, you're usually good to go. I kinda wish they'd run the things in first.
    I have no problem with points, it's just a bitch finding reliable replacement parts these days, that's the aggravation I can do without.

Flatman

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Fired the '32 almost eight years ago with a Pertronix and haven't set the timing or replaced the plugs since. I pulled a plug about two years ago and it looked like I had just installed them.
    Like others, when I fired it for the first time I could tell the difference from other ignitions, it just sounded stronger.

Frank

24. goldflake

goldflake

I put a petronix in the stock distributer when I was building the rod and i made the mistake of welding on my frame without disconecting the batter and I fried the petronix. I ran points for the first 500 miles and then just put the new petronix in and its a new car....anyways point being dont weld on the car with the petronix hooked up......I learned that the hard way.

25. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I considered the Pertronix for my flatty, but went MSD ready-to-run instead. More $$ but they are bulletproof, I heard too many "my Pertonix burned up" stories here and elsewhere. Big improvement at idle, it never skips a beat, hits on all cylinders every time -- almost eery!

26. I've had a pertonix in my '51 flathead for about 5 years now. So far so good, and no points to adjust which should really make the debate a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

Although I am going to go with an msd rtr Because I've got a different carb on it now and I don't want the vacuum advance. The msd is easier to set a mechanical advance curve with.

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Just installed an Ignitor in the Mallory in my banger with no problems. Very pleased.

28. I vote yes for the Ignitor, NO! for the coils. 2 failed, leaked oil from the terminals etc. Others on the board here have had the same experience. It's been discussed before regarding the coils, so if anyone's interested a search should turn it up.

29. goldflake

goldflake

but does the MSD have the old school look...?

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

for those with failed petronix, they have a great customer service. send it back with a note. I have 2 and they are great. I use the blaster coil. great spark.