Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Petrolina for shop rags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, May 21, 2018.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,
    I've always wondered if there is a small puka in the Petrolina world that collects old shop rags? I found this tan one (double wide!) in the glove box of my first ride. The red one is from one of the Florida clubs, and I got it in the goody bag at a show they promote. I'm also working on a design to hand out for my club's 35th Anniversary deal. There are all kinds of places on the web that will make new ones for you, but what did the old ones look like? Gary
    DSC00825aW2000.jpg DSC00828aW2000.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. My dad used to get shop rags from a service that looked like the top one. He gave me a bag of shop rags one year for my birthday that said, "Genuine GM Mechanic" on them. I think he got 'em from the Buick Dealership in San Francisco. Wish I still had 'em.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just glad I am not the guy who had to clean the shop rags that I used while doing front end work in Texas after I used them.
    There is someone who collects just about everything. I think I would stretch that tan one out on a frame like the gals use for needle point art and frame it and hang it on the shop wall just because of how you got it. With a note on the back saying why you have it framed and on display. The really cool part is how you came by it in the first place.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Cool! When ya need rags... ya need rags. For some reason in the .mil we were issued "machinery towels", paper towels reinforced with synthetic strands. Very good but quite expensive, and people did waste them. So the old man got pissed off about the expense, and contracted some service. We got these huge bags of old clothes rags cut into scraps. Not a bad plan, except, they were all made of synthetics, with absolutely no absorption whatsoever. That lasted a couple weeks.

gnichols and Vanness like this.