Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pete Paulsen Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbobster, Aug 3, 2017.

1. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

I can't decide if these guys are criminals or just too stupid to run a business. Probably both. Pete must be senile or completely out of the picture. He's still alive, isn't he?

They hit my credit card for wheels June 27th and I still don't have 'em. I didn't call for more than 3 weeks, but once I started inquiring the lies started coming. Each time I called it was like they never heard of me and had no idea what wheels I was talking about. But they always said they'd find out what was up and call me back. They never do.

I'm sure the "House of Wheels" has good legal counsel and knows what it cost to fight a legal battle out of state because they're bound to be getting sued on a regular basis. Guess I'll have to get in line.
    Hope I can get some satisfaction before they file bankruptcy.

My project is behind schedule because of these dickwads so I'm gonna buy wheels elsewhere and get on down the road. I can't tell you guys where to buy wheels but I sure as hell can tell you where not to! (Yeah, I know. I ended that sentence with a preposition.)

Will Rogers said that the Okie migration to California raised the average I.Q. of both states. Guess it just wasn't enough!

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Just call the CC, register a complaint w/the fraud dept, cancel the order, & have them refund the cc funds. They'll walk you through the process & info they need. It'll take awhile, but if/when they find complaint valid, you'll be reimbursed. Or you get the wheels pronto. & they have a lot more pull than you do. Not that hard.
    Marcus...

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've known Pete for years, last time I talked with him he seemed 'distant' from the actual workings of the biz.
    Still 'conversational', but kinda 'removed' from what the others are running.
    'Pete the Wheel' was the rollin'est guy in the biz in the day...

All the wheel companies seem to have this lying and jivin' in common, the exception being Gary and Jimmy McLean.
    (Ralley Sport, in Fresno)
    When you get your money back, give them a call. Understand they're back, after that terrible fire...

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

At a glance, I don't see anything you can't get elsewhere.

5. Maybe ten years ago I was looking for one ralley wheel center cap at GG Pleasanton. Pete had his trailer set up out in the swap and had a center cap hanging on the side. I said I'd buy one and was told the only one he had was the one hanging on the trailer. How much? Full price. But it's dull and showing rust pits. Take it or leave it. Being an instant gratifier I bought it.

At the end of the show we were walking back to the car and I see a brand spanking new one hanging on the trailer. Haven't bought shit from him since.

49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Pete is pretty active on Facebook, so I know he is still around.

scruff likes this.
  7. Immediately call your credit card company and find out how long you have to reverse the charges. You may be too late already but I don't know. Then call the supplier and either get a tracking number for the package or if it isn't shipped cancel the order and have your credit card company reverse the charges. I hate it when things like this happen.

Charlie Stephens

8. I don't know who runs Wheels by Paulsen these days. I doubt that Pete is deeply involved in the company these days. One thing that you have to remember is that Pete started Wheels by Paulsen right toward the end of the second recession in the '50s. That would have been in the '58-'60 time period. That was what nearly 60 years ago? He would not be a young man today. He was my Ol' Man's age then.

I have never had a problem getting product from them but I have not purchased anything from them in about 15 or so years. If it were me I would try and reversed the charges on my card and find my wheels someplace else.

9. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

After 4 weeks (supposed to have the wheels in 2-3 weeks) they told me they were scheduled for delivery the next Friday (July 28). Then they gave me bogus tracking numbers. Still no wheels today Aug 4. Lots of excuses, lies, promises etc in between. At one point they told me that they couldn't make them because they couldn't get parts so they ordered them from an East coast supplier and they would be there in 3 days. I asked about having them drop shipped to me and they said it was too late for that. ???

10. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I've got a buddy who ordered a set of wheels from them and it took 6 months to get em.

He (we) lives within 40 miles and made regular visits with bullshit promises of next week.

He says never again!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. The good thing is that when people search the archives on their name they will find this thread.

Charlie Stephens

12. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

Aug 3

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i bought some wheels from him about 10 or 15 years ago, wow what an experience! you wouldnt believe all the bull shit i went threw! wont do that again!!!

14. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Bought wheels 2 times from them. First time went great. Second time was a nightmare. So, no more. They've lost any business that I would give them. The bottom line is that there are too many other companies that sell the same wheels and it isn't necessary to put up with nonsense

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Dispute the charges should be simple especially if you use the card frequently and have no issues. It will be quick and painless

16. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I bought a set of smoothies with chrome barrels from him about 6yrs ago. One came with a nicked barrel. Also requested to run baby moons. Come to find out wrong centers and ran a 10" dog dish. Called and called and called. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sadly, I think it's safe to say that you (everyone!) should run a Google or HAMB search on any vendor before you place an order with them. The liars and poor business men would see their sales drop (along with our blood pressure) and maybe that would either improve their business practices or put them out of business. There's a HAMB thread on Paulsen from 2006 that has some very mixed reviews. Without going into names, there's been countless vendors that have been called out on the HAMB for everything from being honestly behind schedule to out and out liars and swindlers.
    Wheels and sheet metal for some reason, seem to be particularly bad about collecting the $ and taking months (or years!) to deliver. They seem to rarely have any built inventory on the shelves. The $ gets collected, then the "made to order" sale/work order goes to the bottom of the production pile. Then when you inquire about your order, the excuses and lies begin, right down to false tracking #'s......
    If your project is behind schedule because you're waiting for "made to order" wheels, you ordered them too late. They should be ordered and fitted early in the build when you're setting up the chassis and fender clearances, then stored away in favor of a set of rollers while you weld, grind, do body work. Live and learn I guess. At least your car isn't in "paint jail".

Frankie47 and Piledrivin'Joe like this.
  18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Time to quit bitching and start the process to kill the order and get your funds credited back to your credit card NOW as IIRC, you only have something like 45 days with most cards. Let it go too long and you're screwed.

mrbeetle likes this.

19. Sent from my ALE-L21 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Just to reconfirm all of the above: PETE PAULSEN STILL SUCKS! I’m having the same experience described above: charged immediately but then waiting for months and only receiving a partial order of wrong parts. The ONLY thing right was the lug nuts. Mike is a very talented excuse fabricator - he will shamelessly fire off fibs faster than you can shoot them down. And Doug just seems like a confused hobo who found himself in the building. Pete himself is never in. Every time I call it’s like the movie Groundhog Day - same conversation as yesterday but they have no recollection of it.
    I just wish I’d searched here first before spending my money!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I bought a pair of reverse 20 years ago , when I finally got them they didn't run true 1/4" run out, garbage... threw them away

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

It must be something in the Delta water. I had the same problems with Stockton Wheel, Paulsen's competitor up the road a piece. I was tempted at the time to pull my order and go with Paulsen, glad I didn't.
    I used Wheel Vintiques for my last set of chrome wheels (the wheels I wanted are listed in their catalog/site) I use Perfect Custom Made Wheels (formerly Bolton's Wheel) if they are a special offset. You can take your wheels to PCMW and tell them how you want them modified or they will supply bands and centers. Haven't had any problems with either of them, although Wheel Vintiques has just about priced themselves out of my budget.

Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  23. Order from Summit..they sell the smoothies made by Wheel Vintiques and they ship quick for a lot less than anyone else and Summit stands behind what they sell.
    Ordered my 4 wheels at 1p.m. and got them the next day at 3p.m. Fast and reasonable.
    Ordered some smoothies from Paul about 15 years ago with no issues...but that was then..now it is Summit

24. I quit doin anything with Stockton Wheels or Wheels by Paulson many many moons ago. Bought my last set of wire from Wheels Of Steel but sadly he went back to Wheel Vintiques I believe.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

About 10 to 15 years ago, I order a set of reverse wheels from Paul Paulson, no problems and if I recall the price was pretty reasonable, delivered to my door within a week. That was 10 or 15 years ago.

5window likes this.
  26. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Should have checked the HAMB first. I'm in the same position as the rest of you. Ordered april 30th 2019 and was told 2-3 weeks. Immediately charged me through PayPal, after 6 or 7 calls of the same run a round bullshit... parts are back ordered and should be here next week. Still nothing, it's been almost 3 months. Im ready to cancel

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pete had a 'Go Fund Me' up last year, right around the time of his BIG Hot Rod party.
    A slew of 'stars' from some of the 'B' hot rod movies, plus some former Miss Goodguise, and who knows who else.
    I read the 'Go Fund Me' info, Pete wrote that their home was 'in jeopardy', and any amount would be appreciated!
    4 days later the 'GFM' disappeared, and the show went on....

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I love this country!

29. Here's another of my "back in the day" stories. Christmas 1963 my wife bought me some chrome wheels for our new '63 Galaxie. Got them from Pete Paulsen's House of Wheels, little over 100 miles each way. Changed my mind and drove down and traded for a 4 track tape player. Got home, player had a problem. Drove back down Saturday to do an exchange. Counter guy couldn't do it and said Pete was at Fremont drags. Drove to the strip and talked them into letting me in. Had Pete paged on the P.A. He shows up with a well known TV wrestler, don't remember his name. Told Pete my story and he gave me a note to give to the sales guy. Pete was not very happy with the whole scene, but I ended up with my tape player, All in all, about 600 miles of driving in a 427 to get a lousy tape player.