Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pete & Jakes Ladder Bars in a Drag Race Environment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stock Racer, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Planing out my rear suspension. I see that P&J's offer a drag race ladder bar but will this set-up hook at the track? 400 hp, 3.08 first gear, 4.11's out back, and a 3000 stall converter in a T Coupe on 8 1/2" Radir cheaters. Lets hear your experiences.

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have them on my 32 3W , no issues at . Hooks up great , no wheel hop

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Larry T

Larry T

I think your "hook" will have more to do with slick choice than with your ladderbars.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done a lot of P&J ladder bars on customers and my own chassis, never had an issue with the standard bars although the extra gusset won't hurt anything. I really like the way they hookup on the cars I have built but I'm no racer.

5. I too have used the Pete & Jake ladder bars and have rut my truck through the paces many times,,they work great but like Gary I am not a racer. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks guys, sounds like they work well. Now I have a second part to this question. Anybody use double plates in the back with heim joints instead of clevises?

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've always done them with single plates and clevis's. If you keep everything tight they won't break.

8. Again,I will echo Gary's thoughts,but if it would make you feel more confident with the set up I see no reason why you couldn't double plate and use Hiem joints for additional strength. HRP

9. My guess is that double plates will be lots of trouble, at least I couldn't see a way around it. So making the plates out of 1/2" and welding in 1-1/4" drilled and milled round stock to set the bars into. Haven't tried it just an idea to solve a problem I don't have

10. Early in it's second life the SoCal Speed Shop ran a 32 Ford roadster that consistently ran in excess of 100 MPH. 130 buzzes around in my mind but I can't validate it.

At the time Jake Jacobs was working at SoCal and was responsible for their ladder bars which are essentially the same as the ones he developed for Pete & Jake's several years earlier.

My roadster rides on a SoCal chassis and it hooks. Simple and reliable. Go for it.

11. Sinistr

Sinistr

What do you guys think that the limit would be for the Pete and Jake's ladder bars?
    I'm building a streetable car but it will see track time. The engine is a BBC with a 6/71 with an auto trans &9".

12. I use Pete and Jakes ladder bars on my Roadster. I use Hiem joints instead of the rubber ends. Runs 7.2 at 92 in the 8th with 10 inch wrinkle walls and 4.62 gears

13. That is a pretty darn quick e.t. for 1/8th mile!! Is it street legal? If so, you're really doing something.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Double plates and Heims give a little flexibility as rear spring works..Really noticable probably not but I like the fact of double shear on the bolts..

15. Yup But I do change gears to run the drags. Run 3.55s on the street. 306 sbf, edelbrock heads 202 valves, extremely rare factory Ford 2x4 intake with 2 600 holleys. Built c4 tranny with a 2500 stall B&M converter.