Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PERTRONIX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aces52, Feb 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. aces52

aces52

I HAVE A OLD MALLORY IN MY WOULD LIKE TO PUT A PERTRONIX IN WHICH MODEL IS THE BEST THANKS

2. aces52

aces52

Its a old Dual point

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since this is the H.A.M.B., the answer is : "None".

(This is usually the correct answer other places as well.)

F-ONE and sidevalve8ba like this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Love my msd.

mad mikey likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have Mallory dual point distributors in several of my cars. they work great with the points.....

Black_Sheep and oldiron 440 like this.
  6. Have used a couple of Pertronix distributors in my cars, they work great until out of the blue they let you down, in 5 O'clock traffic, in the only turn lane and it's 103 degrees, I now use a dual point distributor. HRP

7. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I intend to use a Pertronix ll and their remote rpm limiter for my 1957 T-bird tach-drive distributor. One of my family has been using a Pertronix l in his 65 Mustang for many years without a hiccup. For every person who has had a negative experience, I have no doubt there are numerous users/w nary a complaint.

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Been using them for 30 years. Only failure was my fault

9. I'm one of those without a complaint. Been running a Pertronix in my DP Mallory for about 12 years. Starts quicker, and is almost 2 MPG better than points. (Hard to do with two 650 Holleys on a 6-71).

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had one (don't recall which model) on a big Flathead Ford and it was the best improvement I made on that particular engine.

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only Petronix issue I had was with a brand new III model, I contacted them and they sent a new electronic box in just a few days.
    On the way home to Iowa in 83? from OKC Street Rod nationals the dual point.....damn aftermarket unit (light tan with a 12 million volt coil:) laid down about 20 miles from home. My buddy that had ridden with me got his knife out and scratched the points and we got on the road again. The bushings went out in less than 20K miles so I put a stocker in and ran that until I replaced the points with a Petronix.
    My father in law put one in his JD 3020 (pre 65) gas and said it made it start and run better than genuine JD parts:) I think he finally replaced it after 30 years when it quit.

Blues4U and denis4x4 like this.
  12. I have been using Pertronix for 30 years in all my Delco distributors. Both the original and P II have been flawless. The dual points in my SBC motors always needed constant attention, and bounced at high RPM......Pertronix needs nothing.

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This subject always brings out the haters. I would go with the Igniter II at least. The Igniter I can burn out if you happen to leave the ignition in the On position with the engine not running; the Igniter II will not, so it's a little more expensive, but IMO it's worth it. The Igniter III adds a rev limiter, so if you think you would use that you might think about it. It's a little more expensive than the Ig II, but not much.

Are you going to just buy the parts to install into your distributor, or are you going to purchase a complete Pertronix distributor? Either way, you'll want to get a new coil to match.

14. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ooh, touchy subject! I suggest one of the later models, which would be the II or III. Get their coil, probably their plug wires too. Check their website - look for integrated rev limiters, etc. as you make your decision.

john

15. 55blacktie

55blacktie

My brother had all MSD ignition components in his inboard/outboard 408 Windsor stroker. Between his ignition and the Demon carburetor, he would have to spend several hours getting it to run right, and at least on one occasion, having to drive a considerable distance from the lake to the nearest auto parts store. Considering the distance he had to travel to get to the lake, cabin rental, etc., family/guests waiting patiently, and only a few opportunities each year, it was a disappointment. Does this mean that all MSD components and Demon carburetors are defective? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that some of those MSD components are made you know where.

16. jim snow

jim snow

Got a flamethrower distributor in the coupe. Going on 10 years. Never missed a beat. Snowman

Blues4U and 210superair like this.
  17. I ran a pertronix years ago, worked perfect. I now run a higher output MSD box, distributor, wires, coil, etc. I still have the pertronix in my stash of ignition parts.:);)

Blues4U, Dino 64 and 210superair like this.
  18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Use the points to trigger a CD box. Hands down one of the best ignitions..

19. indyjps

indyjps

Pertronix in my Dads impala 327_300 for 25 years, never an issue, doesnt get many miles on it. Its had 2 carb rebuilds but never an ignition problem.

Blues4U likes this.
  20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

21. jaracer

jaracer

Why? That's a good distributor and works just fine with points.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I took a Pertronix Igniter out of my car last year. It never left me stranded, but at light throttle cruise, it would miss every once in a while. I went with points triggering a Ford TFI module. So far, so good.

Gary

Elcohaulic and Mimilan like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve heard about this, what’s the recipe to make it work?

24. Mimilan

Mimilan

That works OK! or you can also use a 4-pin GM HEI Module.

But some mods are needed in the wiring to get an HEI to work correctly.
    upload_2021-2-25_22-11-54.png
    A resistor is added between the points and "W" terminal

In order for the spark to be at the right time, "G" terminal must be grounded as the points open. This requires an inverter circuit between the points and the "G" terminal. [a small transistor will do this]
    The points control the inverter circuit . This grounds out the G terminal when the points open.

There is very little current in the inverter/points circuit so they will last forever.

You can also add a 6 pole [DPDT] switch and keep the condenser.
    If you have a Module failure, a simple flick of the switch and you can run on Points/ condenser

upload_2021-2-25_22-3-7.png

Q1 on the diagram is the inverter transistor.
    E B C = Emitter, Base, Collector
    upload_2021-2-25_22-6-11.png

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  25. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have used points to trigger a CD box....no brainer hook up...Before the electronic ignitions became the standard, a properly adjusted single set of points seemed to be fine in a mild V8 up to 5500 rpm. The cast iron Delco and Mopar points distributors are quality units.

Mimilan and Elcohaulic like this.
  26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

An old distributor builder told me to get the iron points distributor for the Corvette for my 427. Some even came with a mechanical tack hook up.. Just use one set of points and set them to trigger a MSD6AL or one of the good CD boxes out there.. He also showed me how to remove the points adjuster spring and shim that screw up with washers. This way it will hold the dwell for thousands of miles.

loudbang and Mimilan like this.
  27. I don't hate them, I had one in my 32 Ford truck and I never had a problem, that's when I decided to use one in the Ranch Wagon, it ran great for several years even taking us to Novi, Michigan and to Memphis, Tennessee with no problems but less than 10 miles from my house it decided to short out and burn up my coil wire and left me sitting in traffic.

They work great as long as they are working, had I had points I believe I could have gotten home without the aid of a roll back. HRP

Elcohaulic and F-ONE like this.
  28. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

TFI module.JPG
    I had an HEI module set up like this on a heat sink ready for install but never tried it. I saw the thread on the TFI and thought it would be a lot simpler to troubleshoot if it let me down. I have a spare module in my tool bag.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Blues4U likes this.
  29. Mimilan

Mimilan

The Ford TFI is a better unit

Elcohaulic likes this.
  30. cretin

cretin

We have always had good luck with Pertronix, and run it in most everything. However, we did just have a problem with Pertronix in a Mallory distributor. Best we can figure is that the spark was jumping inside the cap. Put the points back in it, and the car ran fine. Never had that issue on a non Mallory distributor. Just food for thought.