Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix in a Wico Mag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudpedal, Dec 20, 2007.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Have any of you run the Pertronix Ignitor in place of the points in a Wico Mag? I'm working with a dual Wico V-drive that I want to run on the street (they are designed for racing and have the impulses removed). The starter will sometimes turn the engine over fast enough to light the mags, and sometimes not. I know that this would make the Mags into just distributors, I'm just looking for a reliable method here and the Pertronix unit looks like the ticket if it will work.

Their website lists part number W0-141 for Wico. http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=WO-141/591.0 I don't know if it's for the Wico Mag or just for the Wico Distributor (maybe it will work for both?). Thanks for any help...

2. Good question about making Wicos work. I was thinking something similar this last weekend!

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Good post! It looks to me the reason the mags dont work correctly to start with with the rpm issue is that they have to generate their own primary voltage required to build a proper secondary coil collapse and thus create spark.
    My friend Ed Starr (owns a company called Magtech specializing in magnetos , vertex etc) here in indianapolis and i have discussed this quite a few time over the years at breakfast.
    A vertex can have the same problem on a slow cranking engine and the "fix" ( from Ed) is to re clearance the mag as well as properly align each part including good strong magnets etc. Then the vertex will prvide the right amount of voltage to hit the mag at low speed.
    I think the wico's could be set up the same way but the availability of parts could be a issue.
    Using the petronixs would really not change the problem as i see it. The petronixs is very voltage sensitive to start with..??:confused:

4. Google some mag sites, There are a lot of Wico variations. Better yet, Google Pertronix they can tell you.

5. Bubba, thanks for the input!

6. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I would be using the Pertronix to convert the Mags into a Distributors(so the Pertronix would be using the vehicle's battery). To be more on point, I was wondering if the point lobe design of the mag would trigger the Pertronix, and if the shaft rotation matters (the Mags I'm working with turn CCW).

7. Interesting timing. I was pondering if a 4 cyl Wico sould be converted for an 8 cylinder.

8. budd

budd

hey, i wonder if you would be willing to take a few pics of the drive gears in your barker v-drive, i have an old dragster project and it had a v-drive on it, looking at some of the wico mags on ebay i think i might be able to put something togather, thanks

Attached Files:

• hamb.JPG
      hamb.JPG
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Yes it can. I usta own a Wico mag that was converted to use in an Olds by Pounden. The mag looked exactly like my other Wico 4 cylinders, number 1343 or somesuch, but had a new cap adapter and probably point and lobe modifications.

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Sure that wouldnt be a problem at all, other than you would need to use a external ignition coil.
    The reason the wico uses impulse ( usually) is to wind up a spring so the when the engine is cranked very slow (like a wisconsin 4 cylinder V61 on a hay bailer or other farm machine ) the snap in rotation creates its own primary voltage charge by generating the voltage thru magnetic induction and magnets etc. The mag has a primary and secondary coil that when charged ( by this snap of rotation) is controlled by the points. Once the primary is charged thru a set of closed contacts then (hopefuly) the charge is discontinued by the opening of the points and the secondary windings fire the spark plug.
    Now lets discuss your dual mag set up without the spring loaded impulse. This mag must turn at a higher speed to create this voltage and many times they were use in a midget or race car that was pushed making the mag turn enough rpm to build this primary voltage etc.
    Installing the petronix kit would just add life to the contacts ( which already have a pretty fair service life) and thats all . it wouldnt change the mag field issue , in fact i think it might even make it worse based on the drive voltage level needed by the electronics??
    On the other hand the mags turned into a distributor ( just for looks) would need battery voltage and extrnal coils etc.

Ya know i have never thought about it but i think you could hide a couple coils in the frame rails, slip a piece of ignition cable in the lower back of the mag ( wouldnt be seen) and still get the look and actually have a functional system.

I have a few of the wicos laying around , give me a day or two and i will set on up on the machine a spin it up.
    What the hell , might make a interesting post for the board??:D

11. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I bet I could use an internal coil from a Wico distributor. I have one here (Wico distributor) and the coil is the exact same size as a coil for a Mag.

??It may even be the same coil?? I don't know yet, I haven't had time to find out.

You are correct about the function of the impulse. If the mags had the impulses on them, I wouldn't have the problem.

My question was more about the point lobes and the rotation of the shaft (CCW). Will they trigger the Pertronix? I was too busy today to call Pertronix to find out...

Let me know if you find anything out.

12. Pertronix conversion kits use a magnetic ring that slips over the point cam and the unit (Hall Cell) is triggered by the segments molded into the ring. The ring locates from the cam lobes and is oriented by those lobes. I think the impulse on a X mag kicks out around 200 ti 250 RPM. some larger older mag's kicked at at 100 or so. Also the impulse causes the timing to be retarded. There is a term "lag angle" which applies to the amount of retard or advance in a mag. The Wico X as used on 4 bangers typically has a "lag angle" of 9 degrees. When you time by a X the book you set #1 at TDC and turn the mag by hand until impulse just snaps then set mag rotor at #1. This will allow you to hand crank and not get kicked. I know this is slightly off subject and that you are not going to crank a flathead but I hope this helps when people are discussing the impulse on a mag.

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

You could trigger an MSD with the mag points. Of course you'd have to defeat (remove?) the mag internals not needed. Hide the MSD.

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I didn't know that. The slip-on ring must be for certain applications. I have put Pertronix switches in other vehicles before and there was no tone ring or window ring that went over the point lobes. The switch was a magnetic pick-up that was triggered by the top of the point lobe moving past it. What application uses the slip on ring and uses a Hall switch?

15. My experience is with converting Mallory 4 and 8 cylinder and earlier Ford ( Model "A"'"B") 4 cylinder with Pertronix kits Getting ready to do a Triumph Spitfire. In what I have learned the Hall cell (black box or trigger) in the distributor is triggered by breaking the magnetic flux. I'm kind of winging it here but if you go to Pertronix web site this is the only type pictured or discussed. The ring slips over the distributor point cam with slight pressure. The magnetic segments are molded into this ring and as one of the segments passes the hall cell it triggers the spark
    I think I would contact some one who messes with these Wico's and get a price on having the impulses replaced.

16. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Well, I've got a lot of experence with the Wico X model. I don't really have a question about the mag(s). The original impulses will not fit in my application anyway (V-drive). Really my question is about the Pertronix application.

If there are flying magnets in the ring, I don't think it would matter which way the shaft rotated. As long as the switch will fit, I should be golden. However, if the Pertronix W0-141 (Wico application) reads the point lobes, I'm not so sure if shaft rotation is an issue or not. I'll be calling Pertronix on Monday (if they are open on Christmas eve) and if they say it'll work, I'm going to order 2 switches.

I'll do a post on the conversion...