Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix in a Spalding??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy43, May 12, 2006.

1. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I have a Grant/spaulding flamethrower distributor. I was wondering if anyone has installed a Pertronix unit in one? Since this a a dual point 4 lobe cam,would I have to use 2 units? Maybe it would be better to machine an 8 lobe cam to slip over the 4 lobe? Which would you do? Or just keep the points,but they are getting hard to find.. Thanks ,Sparky:D

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Leave it alone. Spalding points hard to find? They're just Ford points; I bought some for my Flamethrower at NAPA.

3. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

OK thanks. If it works,its good.. Do you have a part # for points? ThanksSparky

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It seems to me that if you knew the application of the points,(make,model and year) you could get a pertonix for those applications. 40 years ago I was told that one set was 53 flathead and the other was 54 Y block. I can't confirm that. If that's true, then Pertronix should have a bolt in for each side.

Unless someone can explain why it won't work, I'd say it should work. I have seen them converted to Chrysler electronics using an Omni 4 cyl. reluctor and 2 pickups. (an 8 lobe cam won't work) 200 bucks in modules is a lot but somebody has to be the first.:D

5. Do a search, the info was posted here a few weeks back. Point are late 50s Ford. And Troy at Hollywood Hot Rods did the pertronix thing, 2 4 cyl units. It is all in previous posts.