Register now to get rid of these ads!

pertonix dist./ballast resistor confusion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fiddy handyman, May 2, 2013.

1. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

:confused: installed dist. and coil, fired right up. now no spark. i didnt remove ballast res. could that play role? im clueless on wiring for the most part.

2. need a bunch more info - what motor, 12 or 6v, what ignition, what coil ???????

Any chance you left the key on for a while after your initial start up?

3. Do you have a multimeter?

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

my experience with peetronix too .....went with a mallory unilite - no problems

5. 41 C28

41 C28

Don't be so hasty to write off pertronix. They went above and beyond to help me out and stand behind their products.

6. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

If running pertronix... No ballast resistor needed. Yes,remove it

7. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

12v sbc using flamethrower dist. w/ ignitor 2 coil. plenty of spark from coil, none at plugs.

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Pertronix recommends using a compatible coil with no resistor. Not all coils are compatible.

9. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

called pertronix. they said i have correct dist. and coil. wondering if rotor could be bad? just guessing at this point.

10. If you have spark from the coil but not to the plugs ; it's not the Pertronix - check the rotor and/or cap . I believe for most installations , the electronics should have full voltage and the coil should have a resistor unless the coil is designed to work without one .

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  11. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

could i try my rotor from my old points dist.? don't know if it is different from the pertronix rotor.

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Check your coil wire too. From coil there is only coil wire, cap, rotor and plug wires. It has to be there somewhere.

13. 40sketter

40sketter

i got a pertonix it workd fine then left me stranded so its collecting dust on a shelf i got the old skool points and cond works like a champ

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Here we go again... [​IMG]

RTFM! If you don't know how it should be wired find out before doing something stupid and then blaming the part cause you screwed up. It's all there if you take the time to read...

15. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

i'm not faulting pertronix, just don't know what to check next. car started, timed it, ran fine. messed w/ carb and died. figured it was carb issue, turns out no spark to plugs. coil fires just fine.found that out the hard way:eek:

16. hotrod brice

hotrod brice
    from molino,Fl.

Put your old rotor on it. Check the cap.

17. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

gonna try old rotor right now. i love chasing my tail.;)

18. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

just checked cap. looking at underside of cap, some of the plastic around brass terminals chipped off.:confused:

19. Sounds like wrong rotor. Change cap and rotor and try again!!

20. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

I put a Pertronix ign in a '68 Comet (small block) with the orig coil. Put 40,000 trouble-free miles on it (at which point the plugs looked new). Still in the car when I sold it later. Never missed a beat.

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

Pertonix is an excellent item, use the Pertonix coil to be on the safe side, Make sure to route the Pertonix wiring very neatly they will short out easy. The unit will result in more power, quit starts and cleaner plugs.

CRUISER :cool:

22. rikirix57

rikirix57

like ALL things they can just FAIL !! ?? I have 2 pertronix , one in a 289 Mustang- when i fitted it up I contacted Pertorinx direct they advised that the unit will work with the "built in balast wire " in place ,it went fine for about 5yrs but one day JUST FAILED.....I have another fitted to a 390 in my 59 galaxie (the resistor was easy to remove on this car )still running fine after 7years !! luck of the draw ...at least with these CONVERSIONS if u get stuck on the road its pretty easy to re-fit the points set up to get home !! my pennies worth...RK57

23. rikirix57

rikirix57

P.S. , yes thats what happened when the module unit FAILED in my Mustang while out on the road...just died no spark to the leads...put my points and condensor back in and got home to experiment further......re-fitted the module and NOTHING...so I have just left the points in there......I bought an "all electronic dissy" but its still on the shelf.....its a whole lot more stuffing around on a wet , windy , cold night to fit a dissy if ITS guts fails....
    but i spose ill get 'round to fitting it in one day...

24. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

1fiddy has installed complete pertronix dizzy and pertronix coil. going over to check this out tonight or tomorrow to try to find out what happened. he DID NOT install the conversion kit like some might think

25. upspirate

upspirate

Hard to guess from here, but it SOUNDS like the cap or rotor was defective, or not seated correctly causing them to hit

26. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

not to hijack, but i just bought a pertronix conversion kit for my caddy, any tips or tricks to know before i install it. also bought a new cap, rotor and plugs, and wires. thanks in advance.

27. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

he noticed some left over "flash" surrounding the cap terminals. that's what we'll check first. (flash meaning=from cap material in manufacture process) and also said their tech help was great....
    seems like everyone is bitchin about the conversion kit. as others have noted, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and be surprised at what you'll learn. I've installed those before without ANY problems. this shit doesn't bolt it self on and magically work.....

28. The terminals are machined after the brass is molded in for a precision gap to the rotor. Are you seeing machine marks or truly something chipped? And if it is chipped is in just on some terminals or all of them ?

If it is just a few on one side the the cap probably wasn't seated properly.

You can test with a stock GM cap and rotor from a "window" style point dist.