Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Personal Archives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hr31hr, Apr 22, 2011.

1. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

burnnflamz posted a few days ago about losing his father. I replied with my condolences as well as some information on my own father's passing. My reply reminded me that last Thanksgiving when I went to my Mother's I took a scanner along and we spent some time going through the family photo albums. Included here are some of the cars my Dad owned. I say owned loosely as he had a tendency to trade often to make money. I recall my Mom telling me in one year they had 52 different cars. He would buy them cheap fix them up and sell them. When my brother and I were old enough he would get us to "help" and sit back with PBR or coke and watch. Many times he would just keep the title open for the next owner. None of his cars were radical customs and Mom says the only hot rod he had was when my older brother was a baby he traded the family for a roadster with no top as their only car. She said t made him cry every time he started it. Unfortunately she did not have a picture of that one. Anyway a little personal archive photos for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dad spent a little time in Michigan City learning how to work on cars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

2. butch27

butch27

Was that Michigan City, Indiana? Know it well.

3. Very good photographer as well, my condolences.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

hr1hr, Great idea for a thread! I'll be back with all the photos of all the cars my Dad had 1932-61 as soon as my camera gets repaired. Bob

5. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not really a hamb friendly car, but this was my dads pride and joy and the reason i got into cars in the first place. my dad special ordered this '70 satellite in 1970. he liked the road runners, but didnt want all the roadrunner flash. he ordered the car with a 383 h.p. motor and pistol grip 4 speed with posi. it was b5 blue with the silver trim black bench seat interior. it is one of 53 made with this combo in '70. we moved up by auburn indiana in 1977, the car had 38,000 miles on it in 1977. he parked it in the garage and it sat there, except for once a year we'd beg him to get it out, we'd wash it and take it for a short drive. fast forward to 1999, i get a call from my parents neighbor saying dad had an accident, well i get there and find out he had fallen off his allis tractor he had restored and got pinned between the tractor and a trailer. it had crushed his chest and he had passed away. my little sister, then about 16 had found him and tried to get the tractor off him, but it was too late. I was lucky enough mom ended up letting me show the satellite, and then gave the car to me. i had a lot of fun and pride showing the car in dads name untill 2006, at which time my mom needed a newer vehicle to drive, so as much as i hated to sell the car, i did and bought her a newer jeep. it really was never my car anyway , every time i drove it i felt like i was on the wrong side of the seat. when i sold the car it had just turned 50,000 miles on it. and i sold it to a guy that was a lot like my old man. i was glad to see someone get it that will appreciate it. i still miss the car, but i know i did the right thing, family comes first. dont get me wrong id love to own it again. well i could yap all night about dad and the car, but i wont bore y'all. thanks for reading this and have fun with your cars and family!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get over to my sisters and spend some time going through Dad's old photos if my brother in law hasn't already got tired of having them stored there.
    The only photo of any of his cars that I currently have that I know of is this one.
    [​IMG]
    His 41 Ford Ragtop sitting beside the station I think he worked at here in town right after he got out of the Army Air Corps. This photo was most likely taken a few months before I was born as they brought me home in that car from the hospital. It was reputed to have the loudest pipes in the county at that time.

7. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

Yes it was when I was about 3-4.

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This post has me thinking that I'm not taking enough pictures of my cars and my work in the shop. My son and I hammer and wrench together on his drag car and my streeter but, he is 32 now and has his own family and I would like to think that he would want to go through some old pics of "dads" someday. I'm 53 so I better get busy!