Register now to get rid of these ads!

Permatex Ultra Copper won't set up, anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Anybody have a problem with Permatex Ultra Copper not setting up? I put it on over an hour ago and it has not even skimmed over yet and if I'm gonna tear the pan back off I need to do it soon.

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Give it over night...............................

3. sport fury

sport fury

humidity aids in the
    curing of silicone adhesive. is the humidity very low?

4. I have wood heat but I don't think thats the problem, I had a little black left and it set up right away.

5. sport fury

sport fury

i use permatex ultra blue and it sets up under all temps and humidity levels. maybe you have a bad tube of the copper plus

6. Brand new tune, I wanted to paint the motor tonight so I can put it in tomorrow.

7. 48 hours and ain't set up yet, guess i will have to pull the pan and do it over. Maybe Permatex will pay for the parts and labor, ha!

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything ULTRA takes forever to set up. Regular RTV will skin over in a minute or two, but ultra stays a pain in the ass for a while...

good luck, -Abone.

9. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I recently used it alone with no gasket on the thermostat housing on the Cad 472 in my COE - worked fine - followed the instructions - barely tighten - then tighten a ittle more in an hour. Seems crazy but it worked.

If you are using a gasket - you really don't want to use RTV.

Permatex Right Stuff is what I use generally with no gasket - put the timing cover on the Cad 472 without dropping the pan - no front rubber seal - just Right Stuff - worked great. Turbo 400 pan - Right Stuff - no gasket.

Had great luck with Permatex Aviation sealer when using a gasket, water pump, rear end cover etc.

;)

10. BigPerm365

BigPerm365

Having attended a Permatex clinic years ago...P/Tex says copper is cool for exhaust...all you really need is ultra black & grey for aluminum & 4-cyl/hi-vibration stuff. NEVER use RED on O2 sensor cars, as it has a form of ammonia in it...not good for the sensor. Shoulda' skinned over tho'.

Edit; Right stuff is the best no doubt.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  11. racemad55

racemad55

Never tried right stuff, have the best luck with HONDABOND or YAMABOND from a motorcycle or ATV shop.