Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects period correct

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ceege, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Good day.
    I have deciphered the numbers on the body tag and the engine stamp on my Impala.
    My research has me believing the engine was built September 25. The year is not indicated but has the suffix code of (S) which to me (the internet) indicates a 250 horse 327 with power-glide but this suffix is only indicative to a 1964 built engine, again the internet. The body was built September 9 of 1965. This seems too far apart to be period correct or maybe the engine was built in 1965 but then it would have been built 16 days after the body was built which still seem to indicate a non matching number vehicle.There is no indication of a V.I.N. The car does have a power-glide and 327 badges and it really doesn't matter to me if the numbers match as this car is begging for a big block or an LS engine and the heads already do not match any of it.
    It is hard to read but I believe the engine stamp is F00925S. I'm not too sure about the first 0 in that number but the rest I am sure of.
    An interesting caveat I found in my research was a foundry shutdown in 1965 at the foundry where the Flint sourced their engine blocks. Saginaw I believe. A few Tonawanda blocks made their way into Corvettes that year because of a shortage of blocks from the shutdown. I tried to find more information about the shutdown but have not found any.
    I do know they were starting to implement some pollution control in early September of 1965. Maybe that had something to do with the shutdown.
    I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this but I find some of the history interesting.
    I guess I just want to learn more about this type of stuff and I am hoping it will spark some interesting discussion.
    Not that it matters but the car is a virtually rust-free SS car and my wife thinks it's SEXY

Charles

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Charles -
    1965 is about the absolute last model year allowable on the HAMB. Seems like you have done your research, and a small block isn't your bag. '65 was the final showing of W engine powered passenger cars. A 348/409 would bolt in, be correct and get high marks from the cool kids. Not possible with an LS

Hotrodmyk and Steffen Jobst like this.
  3. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

The Vin Tags could have been cut Weeks in Advance off of Paper Work..........Especially if was a long run.

4. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Yes I know I pushed it, I am more interested in the history of manufacturing and not so much the car.

Steffen Jobst likes this.

5. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

That makes sense. Thanks

6. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I want to be one of the cool kids. Now you have me looking at stroked 409's.

7. TVC

TVC

Maybe just an engine swap occurred at some point, makes more sense than a car assembled at the factory with an engine built one year prior or two weeks after.

If an engine swap is in the cards, it's gotta be a 409 ! I've owned two '62 409 SS converts. and one '64 409 SS. convert. and there's just nothing like it. Not the fastest revving engine but nothing like the torque and pull, the classic freight train approach to motoring. Just SO different from the other offerings from GM. A world all of it own.

8. There ya go! A 348 can be stroked to 347 using a 454 crank. Or simply purchase a stroker crank kit. Cheaper and easier to find than an actual 409 block. Love to see a picture of your car.

9. squirrel

squirrel

What is the casting date on the back of the block?

10. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Not much to look at yet. Kind of a barn find. The guy died and his kids were selling all his stuff. I went to look at a 65 Chevy truck with 1700 original miles. Those were some rough miles.

I bought the Impala instead.
    The open notarized title was sitting on the dash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  11. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I was hoping you would chime in squirrel. 3898998. Does that sound correct?

12. squirrel

squirrel

That is the casting number. The date code will look like H 23 4 or something similar. First letter A is January, b is February etc. Last number is year, 4 is 1964 or 74 or whatever decade it was made.

13. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I probably can't read that number as the engine is in the car mated to the transmission.

14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you say there is no indication of a VIN,I take it you mean on the block? That would indicate it's a passenger car engine as only original Corvette engines have the VIN stamped on them in those years.

15. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Yes on the engine. They started putting the VIN on for theft purposes
    starting with the 'vett I guess.

16. squirrel

squirrel

The date code is on the top of the back of the block, you can see it with the trans installed

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your first problem is believing the internet. Lets see the date code on the block. Lippy

19. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I don't recall saying I believed the internet. That is why I am asking about it here on the internet.

scotty t and Steffen Jobst like this.
  20. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Maybe you can Jim but I crawled around on that engine for a half an hour and all I found was a big 1GM on the drivers side and little 1228 I think on the passenger side. BTW that casting number was from one of the heads now that I think about it. I never did see a casting number for the block only the pad stamp in front of the head behind the alternator that was in my o.p.

21. A 348 with a 454 crank does not equal 347. A stock bore 348 with a 454 crank is 427"

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Ya I think we all new that was a typo. For $25000 you can get over 600 cubic inch all aluminum turn key engine.

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

I 22 8 is the date code. September 22 1968.

24. squirrel

squirrel

Also make sure it really is an 8. The numbers 3 and 6 look similar. They can be tricky.

25. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Ahhh yes I not 1. I will look closer. Thanks

26. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Pad stamp and date code.
    Still confused.

Attached Files:

27. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Pad stamp.

Attached Files:

28. squirrel

squirrel

Cast Sep 22 1962, assembled Sep 25. not very confusing.

29. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Yup suffix code s for 1962 is powerglide 250 horse also.
    Still learning. Thanks

30. Sorry guys. I type slow and still goof it up. I was referring to a Nov 2009 HRM feature with a 437 cid W engine: 348 bored .045 (not a typo) and the 454 crank, big block rods and custom pistons. They made 650 HP.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    hendelec likes this.