Register now to get rid of these ads!

perch bolts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thesupersized, Dec 16, 2009.

1. thesupersized

thesupersized

have a couple 40 ford frontends and i took them apart to redo the front end on our 41 ford pickup, how do you guys get your original perch bolts out of your axles/wishbones? hammered on one pair of perch bolts and they didnt budge...just mushroomed. i dont want to smash this other pair.. anyone know of a place that sells these perch bolts?? they seem to go for big bucks..

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

heat, quench, hammer, repeat

3. I let them soak in penetrating oil for a few hours and then smack em with a big hammer. I've had very good luck getting them out, only once did I have to use heat.
    Last ones I took apart the first one came out like it was suppose to, the second mushroomed. After a good 20 minutes with a big air chisel it finally came out.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1. Before any serious assault, protect the ends against thread damage and mushrooming: Get a Knocker type puller for Ford rear hubs, any Model A place has'em, for like $5. You cannot apply enough force in any way without destruction otherwise.
    2. Use proper Snap-On puller...generally useless advice, but I've got one in Millburn, NJ.
    If you wanna try it, spend some time soaking the thing and tapping around with a hammer to start it thinking about motion.

5. I had to let mine soak for several days then using a air chisel they finally let go, seems a lot of rust build up between the two pcs, just took awhile to free them up.

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Like others said, a little be of penetrating oil...then stick something through where the shackle goes and try to twist it back and forth a little. Be careful, if it's stuck good you might twist the top right off.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I used penetrating oil, candle wax, lots of heat and a 20 ton press and still could not get one out. Ended up cutting the top off and milling the rest out. I don't recommend doing it this way but after a solid week I had no other choice.

The other side came out with a lot of heat some oil and the press.

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I got mine out via lots of Acetone mixed with tranny fliud, and then heat and a BIG FUCKIN hammer.
    Breaking rust welds is no fun.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 28-34 Spring perch bolts and 35-48 axle bolts have always been a bugaboo to remove. First you have to get the tapered seat castle nut off the bottom which can be a chore if the is much rust at all.
    Using a big hammer after soaking for a few days with penetrant of your favorite flavor will sometimes do the trick. Don't forget to use a Ford axle Knocker screwed down tight to keep the end of the bolt from mushrooming and ruining your chances for a clean removal. It still may require a lot of hand work with prybars and major league pipe wrenches to get them out.
    Occasionaly a big press may have to be used. Again if mushrooming happens it's back to destructive methods of removal.

All original Ford perch/axle bolts are forged steel but time does funny things to them. Sometimes they are soft as butter and deform at the first lick of the hammer, others they maintain shape and strength and out they come.

10. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

jUST DID A SET THIS WEEKEND. nEED A TORCH AND A GOOD PRESS. PUT PRESSURE ON THE PIN....HEAT THE AXLE TO CHERRY RED UNTIL IT SNAPS THEN PRESS IT THROUGH...ALL IT TAKES IS A COMPLETE HOTROD REPAIR SHOP....