Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pep Boys Opens SPEED SHOP in LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, May 28, 2009.

1. rick finch

rick finch

Forget it Dean...you are an old hump, and she'd just make you cry.:rolleyes:

2. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Cool! I can get my application specific, under car neon, and coffee can exhaust tip for my 29 Ford! Ohh this is gonna be gooood.................

3. 3406kris

3406kris

Last time I was in a Pep Boys, it was wall to wall Chinese garbage. They seem to push cheap Chinese stereos and ATV's a lot. I can't imagine their speed shop will be any different.

4. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Took the words out of my mouth

5. WELCOME; Manny, Moe and Jack. Our NEW Crew Members....

"Bring yur own sack lunch"............the NitroApe.com Crew

6. Weasel

Weasel

I think I'll stick with Team C in Lakewood and Santa Ana Speed Shop thanks - at least you can actually get decent advice there.

7. InPrimer

InPrimer

Jees, don't be so hard on PB I got 7 cans of flat primer from the over 10 yrs ago and it still sticking on my vert, other than that the stores are loaded with crap..

8. I have not been in one of those shitholes since they got rid of parts and got all the tuner crap, toys and garbage, now their lame help will be tellin ya that 650 lift cam will work in your stock smog 350, with all the stock valve train parts and will clear the pistons!

Super Shops on Van Nuys blvd, was the hang out back in the day!

9. Wish someone would bring back the Service Centers! They had it all and knew how to use it!!

We still have a Service Center in El Monte, been there since I hung out there in the 70's. They still do know there stuff.

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Sounds like they are just expanding thier "custom accessories" aisle to the point where they need a new building for it... Maybe I'll go down there and get a K & N air filter, and custom neon undercarriage lights. Who knows, maybe I'll get a digital dash tach with a light and a sound that tells me when to shift.

11. vertible59

vertible59

Here in Macon, the counter guy didn't even know what a brake shoe return spring was!:D

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Now if only Earl Sheib will go back to painting cars for $49.95.

13. So where are the good shops and stores at then? Pep Boys works if you go in and bypass the counter guys just like the other chain stores. We have nothing much here in the land of Famoso, and even if we did the internet and phone order companies have killed what we once had.-Weeks

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I wonder if they will be selling the plastic Chinese go cart's? My kiddo beats me to death over that shit I have to say that stuff is built cheap and looks dangerous. Makes me feel so old.

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

They know their stuff because they are drag racers, not young know-nothing high school kids.
    Richard & Dave are great guys I've known for probably 20 years.

On Pep Boys- I'll hold my critizsm until I see what's up & what thy will be selling. I'll give them big kudos though- they are our main sponsor for our show in Monrovia in September 2009 (Yes, it's back!). Very cool they stepped up as our main sponsor. Our club will have about 20 cars at their Grand Opening this Saturday- I have to work though. I guess someone has to.:rolleyes:

They will have a booth at the Monrovia show. I remember they had a spot indoors at GNRS 2009, with a pretty cool 32 in it.

16. I give them the benefit of a doubt also until I see or hear otherwise on the new "Speed Shop". Maybe us oilfield folk will see some overflow from them in the future. We still have 3 "regular" Pep-Boys here in Bako and there is plenty of demand for a "Speed Shop" of some volume. They seem as steady as the other chains.-Weeks

17. Service Center in El Monte is a good speed shop because the owner, Richard Salcedo, is a real racer, and knows his stuff. I've delt with Richard for 30 years, and his is one of the few shops that you can actually talk to someone who's been there, and done that.

18. I can dream, Rick, I can dream.......................................

19. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

its off hoover.. this store is located in the GHETTO! :eek:

20. Defying the feds, stockers, and the environmentalists ("mentalists" that tells you right there how they are)...I love it. Now let's go go go burn rubber!!!

21. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I am going to give them the benefit of the douby until i see picks off the place and see their offerings!

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

23. Nothing special, I was there getting a some bits and noticed the ATV/scooter/MX/rc/toy corner is now the flowmaster/edelbrock/chrome doo-dad/ faux tuner section. There is nothing in the line of "it would be traditional or work on a pre 64 car".
    All the guys get spiffy PBSS shirts. Thats about it.
    Maybe the marketing team came up with a new positioning statement?
    Maybe smaller "speed" parts are easier to sell then the 500.00 ATV?
    Maybe they should get a staff that likes findings parts and has an inkling of what certain parts are?
    Or maybe they should carry real ripple exaust pipes again?

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  24. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

We got a place like that here in Sacramento, its called tognottis auto world!