Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pep Boys Opens SPEED SHOP in LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddon, May 28, 2009.

1. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Cool, Super shops is on the way back as well!

2. racer756

racer756

and a Top Fueler in every garage!!!

I knew it would all come back..

3. ??? Tell me more Never mind, just googled it

4. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Pretty rad huh? you too can own one!

5. racer756

racer756

6. McFly

McFly

That's awesome! I used to go to the one in La Mirada???? (not sure on location) with my dad when I was just a kid. Loved that place.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The La Mirada Super Shop was just north of Rosecrans on Valley View.

Oddly enough there is a Pep Boys right next door now!!

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I wonder if it is a dedicated speed shop or just another parts store that also carries speed parts like the performance Checker stores around here.

9. i think they'll just expand on the chrome stuff they have aready...........i hope in wrong though

10. When I lived in LA (5+ years ago) one cool spot was the PAW headquarters in the valley.

Besides selling everything in their catalog over the counter, they had an awesome display of engines covering a wide variety of periods - 50s flatheads, 60's SBC, drag hemi's, etc.

11. It looks to be a regular store with a bunch of Speed Parts including an NOS refilling station.

12. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I used to laugh trying to buy carb jets. They never had enough for 2 Four's at
    the same time. Bought a lot of tires though

13. metalman

metalman

Funny, first thing that popped into my head was it will be like Super Shops.

Some of you act like that's a good thing???? I hated Super Shops. They hired cheap, minimum wage idiots to run the counter. Their mass buying power put a lot of GOOD small speed shops out of buisness.
    I'm sure the Pep Boys counter guy will be able to give expert advice on what cam will work best for your application!

14. Oh cool, I can go into a Pep Boy speed shop and still get asked "who makes Studebaker?" Maybe they will have some bitchin clear tailights for my 50Ford...lol!

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Well I for one sure hope it's good as it's right next door to my house......very usefull having a speed shop on your doorstep.......I'll be checking it out on saturday.

17. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

we need one in central jersey, our last one just died out a few months back. and we also have the legendary California Speed and Sport shop still kickin but now a days they are a disgrace to the name speed shop

they also have to hire people who know what their talking not high school idiots

18. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

hahahaha! thats liike when you try to order sparkplugs for a 48 dodge and they asked "dose it have air condishing"?

i dont like to buy from them anyway i rather go to the local guy

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Sweet a big store filled with SBC billet parts, braided hoses and import crap.. can't wait..

20. studematt

studematt

We had only one super shops up here and it was awesome. I think it will rekindle interest and maybe bring street racing back as well. Oh did I say that.

21. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

i remember that Supershop in La mirada, there was also on in Costa Mesa on Harbor Blvd

22. And don't forget the one in Santa Ana on Tustin where a disgruntled employee tied up and then shot and killed the manager in the back room. Tragic deal.

23. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

We had four Super Shops here in San Diego at one time and only two had people that knew anything about the parts they sold! But, if you needed those T/A's, they knew it all!

I have been seeing the Super Shops name pop up around here again and I was wondering what was going on and now I know.

A few years back the owner of Super Shops, the first go around, got in deep doo doo for building a house in La Jolla over an old Indian burial ground! Yeah, made him real poplular, real fast!

Wish someone would bring back the Service Centers! They had it all and knew how to use it!!

Well, wish both enterprises the best of luck, especailly in these tough times.

24. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

2 things come to mind. Their help has always been lame. No knowledge of anything and couldn't care less about what you need. I had also heard recently that they were going under as in out of business. I guess we'll have to stay tuned to see.

25. cruzr

cruzr

Manny.Moe and Jack.......to the rescue??

NOT.........

26. madman mike

madman mike
    from Central NJ

Wow...Super Shops...flashback..it's the mid 80s all over again and I'm back in SoCal...trip out! Fast parts for Stoner Cars. sorry..couldn't help it. ;)

However, "Manny Moe and Jack..they know what I'm after" - Chuck Wagon, The Dickies. RIP ;)

27. Fogger

Fogger

The only good thing about their opening this Sat is the appearance of Adrienne Janic from Overhaulin', still not enough to keep us from Back To The Beach, HA. I think the other posts state what will be sold, billlet crap and chrome from China by a staff of uninformed counter people that will ask for a year, model and part number. Growing up in So Cal I remember what real speed shops were. Fortunately we still have PAW in the San Fernando Valley. The FOGGER

28. Zumo

Zumo

Sounds like a good place to buy wheels and tires and dress up kits.

29. AJ, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D