Register now to get rid of these ads!

People with no mechanical skills buying old cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, May 1, 2012.

1. I would rather have fifty midlife crisis types buying turnkey hot rods than one buying a Harley and a doorag and sharing the road with me.

2. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

Why do you care? Are you jealous that they can afford the bill and you cant? By the way, I can rebuild a rearend and I think you should park your car until you can.............it's not that hard.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

And you should park your car until you can do the upholstery,its not that hard.

4. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Old cars are a easy- try fixing a new car.

Most people can't, which keeps me in old cars.

5. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Most people I tell not to buy old cars because they can't fix them themselves for many reasons or afford to pay someone.

Most people I know rent, and you can't wrench in the street.

6. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I've bought some of my best half finished projects from people who got in over their heads.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I see it this way....They buy it, then bring it to us for upkeep, <good for our stimulus fund>....I'm ok with that,,,because at least they don't take it home, try working on it themselves, get in way over their heads, and it ends up in a crusher.......

4TTRUK

8. man you ain't kiddin'. Every time something goes wrong on my daily it is a TOTAL PITA to fix. I always walk away having learned something......with bloody knuckles due to lack of accessibility designed into the engine compartment. I'll take my model A any day over that crap.

9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

JunkYardJeff, You just made a very good point !!! The guys that tell you how to do your job and then want to beat you up on the price are sorta like bottom dwellers. I will soon be 65 years old and I have put up with more than my share of this type of person. The Big Buck Guys with Buy It Now Money are not the real problem. It's the one who would suck the blood out of you and still want a discount or freebie !!!
    An old friend once asked me if I would reupholster his 33 Plymouth in my spare, spare time and since we were friends he also wanted a cheap, cheap price. My reply was that in my spare, spare time I was usually sleeping, eating, taking a crap or playing with Momma that any work under those circumstances would be priced a about 3 times my normal rates. He never asked again and that little coupe still has "No Interior" Word must have hit the street, because no one ever asked that question again.
    Just wanted you to know that I understand Frustration in this Form....
    On the other I have developed friendships with car owners who did not know how to hold a wrench. When they are honest about their love for old cars and don't try to beat you up, they can be pretty cool guys......
    Best advice is to weed out the Guys with the Crappy Attitudes. They are usually more trouble than they are worth. When you give in and help the Guy with the Bad Attitude it will come back and bite you on the Butt !!! Jeff

10. Colville

Colville

I do sheetmetal fabrication and airframe repair on aircraft in the Air Force. I'm mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. I know when to let the pride go and step back to let someone with the propper tools or knowledge give me a hand. I'm always learning and soaking in everything I can. You dont always have to pay a mechanic, I know I dont always have the cash so I call on good friends of mine that lend some knowledge which I have been thankful for on more than one occasion. I think anyone who owns an old car should atleast know how to do routine maintenance though. Just know when its something you cant handle and dont shortcut and end up with an unsafe vehicle.