Register now to get rid of these ads!

People and their word..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by englands54, Feb 8, 2013.

1. englands54

englands54

Hey felllas just somewhat bummed today..14 years ago my wife and I tied the Knot. At that time I had a 54 chevy bel air post..Baby blue and white..Drove that car everywhere..You know that car you always try and replace..Thats the car for me.I have had a bunch of 54s over the last 14 years but none like the one..I have went through other cars as well but the 54 chevy was special..My first 2 boys spent a bunch of time in there with us headed to shows and just driving down the interstate..Getting to the point..I found one that looked just like it and maybe in better condition..The owner and I struck a deal over the phone and I said I would send deposit after work 5 pm yesterday..I called him no answer,I sent him a text..He siad he was eating and get back to me..The car was on ebay...He text back and said he never pulled the car off ebay and he sold the car to someone else.. This is after we made the deal and I was going to send deposit after work via pay pal. This sucks..I still feel giving someone my word is a done deal but I guess not.. Just wanted to take the family for another ride like old times.. My feedback on ebay is over 630 and 100%..

2. A hand shake deal is a dieing breed sorry to say, not being a jurk but snooze you loose impulse buying needs money in hand. You didn't have any reservations about leaving without sealing the deal? It wasn't meant to be. he wasn't forthcoming with all the information on the deal in the beginning, probably would have had issues with it after the deal you didn't need that anyway.

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

It's sad to say, but there's never a deal in todays world tell the money crosses hands. The man should have keep the deal with you, he could have canceled the ebay auction, the weasel wanted to see if he could get more cash then your offer. Keep looking, another one will come along......:D

CRUISER :cool:

4. Sorry it didn't work out,but if you wanted it why wait till the next day to send paypal payment?you could have done that while you were on the phone.

You went to sleep at the wheel. HRP

5. birdman42

birdman42

It sucks but at least you didn't loose any money on the deal.Maybe the ebay buyer will back out on him and give a taste of his own medicine.

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Back in the 70's maybe early 80's I saw a 65 Mustang Fastback at a local swapmeet,I thought about it by the time I got back it was gone. I mentioned it to a friend later that day and he said they took it home, it didn't sell it turns out it was a shop I had splined axles for many times so I called on Monday.I talked to the owner we struck a deal for his asking price I said I would come over at lunch time and pay him, it was about thirteen miles away (actually in the town I live in.) He said don't bother the car was mine and to bring the money when I cane I called later in the afternoon to offer to bring the money and again was told don't worry it was mine wel comes 6:00 I call to say I am on my way, and he says don't bother it's pulling out of the driveway now.I have no idea what happened or why, and I did more axles for them until they closed, but the one partner never came by again I mean if he got more money you would think he would have at least said I have a better offer do you want to match it.

7. rampant150

rampant150

That sucks but if I was in his shoes I wouldn't pull a vehicle from Ebay based on someones verbal commitment.

8. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

As much as it sucks cash is king. Anyone knows if you do business on line you get a million and one peopke who say they want it, I will be right there and a hundred different versions but in the end never come through. It sucks that it was what you wanted and lost out but he was selling a item and someone sgowed up with the money. Good luck because the right car and deal will happen.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

in the electronic world ya never know who you are dealing with. of course, sometimes bastards will lie right to your face. it is always tough to miss out on a special deal. have to just move on.

10. Larry T

Larry T

Yes, it is sad. But on the other hand, I've had LOTS of handshake deals selling stuff that never materialized. I've even held onto one car for over a year on a $200.00 down payment before I let someone else talk me out of it.

You are right though. If he said he'd hold it, he should have held it. When talk to anyone about a sale anymore, it's with they understanding that first one there with the money gets it.

11. First off.... You snooze - You lose!

Secondly, no deal is "struck" until funds exchange hands.

1954 Chevy???? They made a ton of them! To find another is like trying to find a weed in your yard, go find another.

It sucks to be in your shoes but this wouldn't be a sob story if, like mentioned, you PayPal'ed the funds.

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It costs money to list a car on eBay. And potential other buyers are likely looking at it too. Until the payment is received, I wouldn't pull the listing either.

This doesn't sound like a handshake deal. It was an ongoing auction that you wanted stopped. There's a big difference!

13. PRoz

PRoz

It isn't a deal until cash/paperwork and car exchange hands. Until that point it's just talk.

14. Speed~On

Speed~On

That sucks. He should have honored your verbal agreement and sold you the car. That certianly would have been the honorable thing to do. Perhaps this means there's a nicer one coming your way in the near future.

15. Jamoke

Jamoke

Think about it do you really want to deal with a guy of that character and no morals its a blessing the deal did not go . Who knows the car was probably not what he said it was .

16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Did you find the car on ebay, contact the seller and try to buy it not using ebay?

17. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

Just had a house sold out from under me this way. People can be crappy but don't let it make you think everyone's that way. Most people are basically good I think.
    <object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" width="0" height="0">

</object>

18. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I am a man of my word but.......If I held a car for every guy that was gonna give me a deposit that night or the next day or the next week, I would never sell a car. I had a car on ebay and I struck a deal on the phone with a guy but was clear, until I receive a deposit, it stays on ebay. He got me that deposit immediately.
    If I make a deal for something I want, I do not hang up the phone until the man has his deposit and its off ebay or wherever its for sale

19. What was he eating?

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Sorry to hear this.
    In the real world, there are stories galore here about guys holding cars and parts for a promise or a depost and losing subsequent sales. No money, no honey.

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

The deal's only done when the money changes hands.
    You can't spend Promises of money being sent.

22. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I feel I'm a man of my word, but these days in these times, I understand if they don't trust me and I don't trust them. Afterall it took a whole lot of people who gave their word that wasn't worth a damn to cause that mistrust in the first place.

They don't know you from Adam and vice versa. Garanteed deal is better than hoping that it all works out and missing out on a deal.

In all it's a sign of the times and a valuable lesson. When you have the opportunity you jump on it, not with words, with cash as fast as you can. Or you could have just bid on it on ebay and been done with it.

Sorry about your story, but it happens to all of us, and many of us frequently. Knock the dust off your pants and keep on tryin'.

23. kennb

kennb

It sucks, but if it was on ebay you should have just bid if you wanted it. I have thousands of ebay transaction, been on ebay 15 years selling mostly motorcycle parts. I never ended an auction early. The point of an auction is to get the highest bid. He should have never agreed to your terms and said "bid". Sorry this happened to you. I'm sure another will cross your path soon, they're plentiful. Ken

24. teejay99

teejay99

Sorry for your loss , but these days you need to have " zero expectations". For every guy like you who would do the deal , there will be 5 no-shows . What used to be " for sure " is now a "definite maybe " .
    Hopefully you will luck out and find another .

T

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wish I had $5 for every Be Back I've encountered selling a car. Money is the only thing that talks.

26. Larry T

Larry T

Did he specifically say he'd hold the car for you until 5:00 or did ya'll just agree on a price?

27. englands54

englands54

I understand the cash changing hands ect..The deal, yes struck on the phone at 10am and we had spoke over the phone a couple of times coming up with the price..We both agreed on the price. He said when can you send a deposit. I said after work because I work nowhere close to a bank or computer. He said sounds good.I though he closed the deal and the car was sold..I have been there before on the other side..Just though I was over but you guys are right..Money talks but when your 2000 miles apart its sometimes hard to put cash in their hands right then.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had a deal like that. Gave a guy a check one night for a boat he was selling and we agreed I would pick up the boat two days later and exchange cash for the check. Next day he put the check back in my mailbox with a note that said "I have decided to sell the boat to my Son, sorry."

I had our company Attorney send him a letter stating he entered into a binding deal and if he didn't go through with it he could be liable to pay me the difference between the cost of his boat and a comparable boat I would find. He called me the next day and said "Come get your boat, but I want cash !" No kidding, that was our deal all along. :rolleyes:

People's words are not worth much these days.

Don

29. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

A man is only as good as his word... If you tell somebody something it should be that way.... If I tell you a rooster can pull a train, well just get the harness ready cause it will happen.... Case in point... Just two weeks ago I sold a 71 Super Beetle to a feller for $1500.. I loaded it on the trailer and was on my way to drop it off T his house, when a guy offered me $3000 for it... Did sell it to him, nope, cause I already told the other feller he could have it for $1500.... It sucked, but I can sleep at night...

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I guess you should have bid on it on e-bay. It is a done deal, move on.

Wait for the e-bay buyer to flake-out on the purchase and them offer him $500 less.

Like others have said, there are plenty other cars out there.

Neal

p.s. It is not that I don't agree that you had a deal. It is that not much that you can do about it. Since the car was not local, you have to trust the seller. You could have drove to get it and then have him back out of the deal.