Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pennsylvania Car Without Title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montechris, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You're trying to strong arm the owner to sign over the title rather than face your innocent mistake. Be nice and offer the owner a couple/few hundred bucks to sign over the title to you. Consider the extra $$$ spent an easy lesson.

Budget36 and egads like this.
  2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how long it will be for the next "I bought/ found/ was given a car without a title" to come up here.

I'm guessing October 3. Any other guesses?

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Larry it happens all the time here and always the same answers.

Pat

egads likes this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

But the owner never abandoned it on your property.
    I imagine there is a legal expectation that you will not cause damage or remove parts from someone else's car that you brought to your property without his permission.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

For those into the Title BS, do you have a record of EVERY STATE and WHAT YEAR they started using Titles? I'm sure there are cars that predate titles. Bob

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that book. It also covers what the numbers look like, and where they are.

5window and David Gersic like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

So I couldn't find the Title for the off shore POS I scrapped a few months ago, got 6 weeks drive time out of it. Took to to LaJoies and filled out the missing title paperwork and then they added that to the 6 inch stack of others. A few weeks later the State of Connecticut mailed me the title ( Reason I couldn't find it). Other than employing paper pushers what good was accomplished? Bob

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I quoted my own post because I wanted to mention this other post.
    DOES A PROPERTY OWNER " OWN" AN " ABANDONED " CAR?
    Lonejacklarry asked the question. I hope we find out how these guys made out.

Pat

The37Kid likes this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great question, how about the repair shop that puts a "Mechanic's lien" on a vehicle, it is just taking up space even if there a bill for work done on it.

Bob

10. noboD

noboD

Bob, in Pa. a mechanic's lien is attached to the title, same as a bank . You can't sell unless it's satisfied.

5window likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your obligation to follow the law was fulfilled.

You accomplished living in a civilized society.

5window likes this.
  12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about Pa. But people tell me it is plain illegal to sell a car in Maryland without a title. But, I have scene it happen many times.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Montechris

Montechris

In PA you need to file, and follow a process to have that car legally defined as ‘Abandoned’. This probably includes a certain amount of time, attempts to contact the owner, and advertising in the newspaper similar to an estate notification. If you can have the car classified as abandoned, then you are on the right path to have the car titled in your name by the court of common pleas.

just a few things I’ve learned over the last few weeks.

Chris

46international likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

Ah. What you have actually seen is money and product changing hands. What you haven't seen is the actual selling of a motor vehicle!
    :)

alphabet soup and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My cousin lived next door to a guy who's brother knew a guy who's dad said that his ex-wife's nephew used to work with someone at the DMV. Now that we have that outta the way...

Just because you're at a private residence does NOT remove your rights as a property owner. You may not be able to go into the storage biz at home but you ARE entitled to compensation for abandoned titled property. If not, then I have several cars I want to store at anyone's house for free. Is securing those rights easy? Free? No and sometimes, with sometimes being how able and willing you are to dig through law books. The 'real' is actually the farmer who was stuck with it for so long. If you're willing to dig through appropriate statutes on his and your behalf you can leverage the possibilities, but ONLY if you find you have to. The current title holder is on the hook. Not you, not the farmer, not the son. His son's desire may not come close to the expense he'll face to clear the vehicle (truck?) for his son to actually get it in hand. This happens to guys who work from home. Low life losers think they have a right to just take your work and fuck you out of the money owed. Nope. We all have "Artisan Rights" when we work 1 on 1 for others. How do I know this? To much typing, but it's real. Again, how willing are you to dig thru statutes? I got titled ownership of a job that went bad and got abandoned. I was a nice guy, gave him almost a year. What I didn't do was get law enforcement involved. Read. Learn. But mostly try to do it in advance. This goes for all of us reading this topic. CYA is paramount, always.

16. 5window

5window

I am a bit confused by what you posted, but I got the CYA part.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was covering 2 different "from home" car/hobby scenarios. Many of us may have had an issue with abandoned cars and or work done as a side job that someone might try to get out of paying for. At least in MI you have artisan rights. Im' fairly certain it applies almost anywhere. The fact is that it's unconstitutional to stop or inhibit someone's pursuit of happiness or income. Now if you were operating a massive forge in your garage at all hours you might get some flak but in general you have rights. In my case the local sheriff's office told me to put the car on the street, they'd pick it up, then I can chase my remedies after. No thanks. It was a 56 Chevy HT and I had no interest in losing the car to an impound lot. Had to hire a shyster and give him the statute to pursue my gig as he wasn't hip to it. Look up your state's laws. A couple cups of coffee or a few beers and a laptop. It's all out there and yes, the search is a pain in the ass. Govt...:confused:

5window likes this.
  18. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

I really doubt the son wants the car. Ask how much he wants for the title.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.