Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pedal ratio dilemma for power brakes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Nov 19, 2013.

1. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hi all, im currently hot rodding my '51 styleline, fitting a sbc and doing a pretty standard rod job ( heres the link... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774067&showall=1 )

Ok im at the brakes stage and having problems knowing if im heading the wrong way, I know i'm not doing the brakes too traditionally but with the power of the v8 I want to spend the money and time on the brakes so am not too worried if they are modern as i put good functioning brakes at the top of my list!, i have got a wilwood dynalite 140-11811-D front disc kit, 2nd gen camaro rear axle with standard 10inch drums. I have ordered a 7inch dual diaphragm stainless booster from speedway and intend to get either a 1" or 1 1/8" wilwood master cylinder, I have decided to mount the brakes through the firewall to keep the frame clear for the exhausts to run etc, to save a bit of time as im over in the UK i decided to make a pedal assembly myself, with the length of the pedal (18.5") and the way i have done it I have ended up with a pedal ratio of 6:1, is this going to be a big problem for power brakes and how are they going to feel etc, i'm not going to be running a particularly big power chevy with wild cam etc, so hopefully vacuum will be pretty good, I estimate i have about 5 inches of pedal travel, but can set this later with the way i have set the pedal, also i can shorten the pedal a bit by upto an inch making it 17.5 inches if this helps.

Are there any views on what im fitting, and if anyone has anything like what im using what would the ideal master cylinder size be? as i see bigger bore can give less pedal throw.

Anyway thanks for any help/views on my project, ive been looking through the net/site all afternoon trying to find out info lol, thanks for a great site with some great info

Jason.

2. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

i looked into this.found 5.1 power brakes,6.1 non power,hopes this helps.

3. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks I'm a bit stuck on 6:1 tho here's what I have made, apologies for pics from my iPhone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I have braced it from the column to the plate through the firewall.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

5. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Glad to help mate. Good luck with your project.

7. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks, hopefully driving by next year :)

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Man it sure pay's to snoop around some nights,this the third good piece of info I've gotten tonight thank you unkledaddy ,and i hope you get your car on the road next year nitronutter although it is the wrong side:D good luck---jack the Olderchild

9. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Yes I know it does! And I'll agree about the wrong side, I'll be driving near the sidewalk and paying fortunes for fuel for the rest of my days :( lol.

10. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Man i can feel your pain on fuel,it amasses me that B/P here in the U.S. is now $ 3.10 a gallon and you guys are getting ripped off for god knows what$$,I haven't herd lately. That B/P dose stand for British petroleum:confused:. Would a propane set up cost less to run?----Jack the Olderchild

11. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok $3.10 a gallon is a dream we are getting ripped off for £1.32 or $2.12 a liter, that's about £6.60 or $10.60 a gallon, that comes round to our stinking government taking 90p or $1.45 per liter in tax as the actual gas is about 40p per liter before tax. Lpg or propane is even creeping up in price, that's 72p a liter and with the price of a conversion being £2000 (about $3215) it takes a few years for it to even pay for itself.

But we can't do anything about the prices it falls on deaf ears so we just have to pay it, oh well it's worth it for the smiles tho leaving black lines up the road :)

12. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

And yes BP is british petroleum, they are all the same tho BP, Shell, Esso all in the same price range lol

13. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I followed a young man here on H.A.M.B.(from the U.K.) build his 31 ford using a diesel and a five speed because of the price of petrol , it turned out nice. What trans. do you have? A 700r4 or ah t5 trans. would help greatly with the mpg. I'll be 70 in about a month and still like turning tires into smoke and leaving black lines hence the the name Olderchild:D.my truck has a 383 stroker 3:43 rear gear with the 700r4 it gives me about 18/20 mpg the tack stays around 18/2000 rpm @65mph enough of my bull sh now go back to work and get/her /done---------------Jack the olderchild

14. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hey Jack, thanks, I'm going to be running a 350sbc and a turbo 350, I'll be ok with the gas mileage because she not going to be an every day car because the weathers not that nice here for classics, quite wet and out on the coast so soon rots out older cars :( thanks for the encouragement tho I can't wait to lay some rubber in her lol