Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pedal Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

When putting an A body on a 32 frame, what do you do with the clutch/brake pedals? My pedals are repops, but same as 32 and as you can see are way too long(high). I think they should be lower than the column, and definitely below the firewall edge. The brake also hits the block.
    I am leaning towards cutting them down, and wonder if anyone has pictures of their progress?

Attached Files:

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Can you just move them back and/or down?
    Shortening them will make the clutch and brake harder to use as the leverage ratio will be changed.

3. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

No moving them, They are mounted to the K-member, and moving them would mean changing everything. I really don't want to cut them down, but I see it as my only option. Just wonder if anyone else has delt with this?

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

heat and bend to suit? BTW whered ya get those pedals?

5. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Edward Lloyd (hope I spelled it right), was selling them here on the HAMB. They are made exactly like the 32 pedals. I think bending will still put them too high, besides they will interfere with the column if I go the wrong way.

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Under NO circumstances the Pedal should hit the block.....if you have
    stock K-member with 3 speed and proper trans mount
    I have original Pedals (not bend etc.) in my 32 chassis and no problem.
    How high is your engine in the font?
    The mount should be 1.5-2 inches below the top of the rail
    Maybe your setup is tilted back too much

Did you ask Ed?

There are more than one version of the pedals.
    I have some of a 4-banger car that are a bit different(londer and with a "nose)

7. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Here are pics of a 59 block in frame/ have an 52 Merc in there now, but it shows motor mounts.

Attached Files:

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Doesn`t look too bad.

I thought you maybe had the mount on top the rails which is way too high for
    32 K-Member.

Another thing...
    32 pedal are really long compared to 39-48 (for example) and your steering column
    seems to be pretty low . That is one reason why it look that way.
    Is there a box ? i only see a tube

Still doesn`t explain the "engine" problem.
    I would see what Ed has to say.

9. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I talked to Ed when I first bought them, he said they would fit a stock 32 K member in a stock 32 frame. Mine is anything but stock. My K member is narrower(on the outside edge) due to a pinched frame, but the engine/trans relationship is the same as stock. And pedal box is mounted in stock position on K member.

No gearbox yet, because I have not cut a hole in the frame yet. But it is pretty close to where it would be at the stock frame hole. Using a 56 truck box, I could move it forward a little more, but then it starts to look funny sitting about mid engine.

10. Fenders

Fenders

Well in my current hot rod coupe I have a hanging brake pedal (auto trans, sorry) and it wasn't where I wanted it so I just cut it and welded it into the position that I wanted.....

You could do that to yours - unless you are building a street rod...

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

With gearbox i mean transmission....sorry

12. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I was talking steering gear, but the transmission is mounted to the K member as it should be.
    I wonder what they used to do in the old days when dropping the A body on a duece frame?